General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Show file extensions by default

Show file extension by default on Windows Server. I can understand why the extension is hidden by default on the Desktop OS but for server it should be visible.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Server 2012 R2 VM Live Migration to Server 2019, VM won't boot after shutting down

If you use Hyper V Live Migration from Server 2012 R2 (not sure if any other OS) to migrate to Server 2019. The migration works but as soon as you shut down the VM and try to start it again, will no longer boot. It turns on/off 3 times and remains off.

I also did cluster to cluster migration in VMM and this is the same behaviour.

It looks like it is due the migrated MAC address, if I set the VM to get a new dynamic mac address it seems to work. If I set it to it's original…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. ADFS - Force authentication method per relying party on IDP-side

related to ADFS 2016:

it would be great if we can force a specific authentication method at ADFS for a relying party. in general forms and certificate authtentication is possible for our users, but for specific apps only certificate should be possible for security reasons. adding certificate as MFA is not a good solution from the users point of view because they will be forced to enter first their credentials before they have to use a certificate (which is more secure than forms and because of this sufficient).

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add native Let's Encrypt ACME client support to Windows Server and IIS

Add native ACME Client v2 to Windows Server and IIS include auto renewal feature.

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Interoperability & Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Provide vagrant boxes

Provide update-to-date vagrant boxes for all major hypervisiors. Optionally, make Windows vagrant boxes easier to create.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. robocopy /mt causes incorrect summary for copied and skipped files

Issue relating to robocopy is detailed here:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/cd9b83c1-bd01-41ee-8f56-ea9db4e598bb/robocopy-with-mt-switch-seems-to-show-different-summary-info-why?forum=winserverfiles&prof=required

When using the /MT to a directory that already exists the files are not skipped. This is the opposite behavior to what happens without the /MT flag. This issue is picked up reviewing the summary.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Nested virtualization for AMD Epyc and Ryzen

Please support nested virtualization on AMD Epyc and Ryzen processors.

240 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

69 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Yes

How I got things to work #1 talkback sucks but it does talk and knows code.#2 write code in search bar #3 talkback like to be talked to..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. please add some x11 forwarding to openssh

please add some x11 forwarding to openssh

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Connect with ip valid in lan

Hello. I can't connect to my pc with valid ip : 185.110.244.68 , and error code is 0x3000062 ,
    Im in lan system and my dc is:
    My tmg is:
    gateway is : 10.7.11.1
    please help me

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add gMSA support for DNS Dynamic Update Registration Credentials in DHCP

DNS Dynamic Update Registration Credentials in DHCP Management Console or PowerShell (Set-DHCPServerDNSCredential) do not support the use of Group Managed Service Accounts (gMSA) when specifying credentials.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. [Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac] Display freezes after first frame

I am connecting to a VirtualBox VM exposed via VRDP. The first frame loads but then it stops. Mouse and Keyboard events are still sent to the VM (I can see things happen in the preview window), but the screen on MS Remote Desktop never updates.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Azure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Bug in Android RD 8.1.71.387 using danish keyboard.

Not sure why I was guided to windows server, the problem is with the Android RD client.
    In a danish environment, the bottom left key is supposed to be - (minus) and the shifted value _ (underscore), This is the key immediately to the left of the right shift key.
    Using the Android RD client on a Acer Chromebook with danish keyboard towards a Windows 10 VDI the keys come out as + (plus) and the shifted value ? (questionmark).
    Connecting to the same VDI with RD from a Windows PC renders the correct keys, and using the chromebook in…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Error massage that i spend 3 month serach for a slution

Error message that i spend 3 month search for a solution no one knows what's the problem

Getting this error in server 2019 and 2016 after closing GPMC.msc

Error ID 1000

The massage is:

Faulting application name: mmc.exe, version: 10.0.17763.1, time stamp: 0x176b88f0
    Faulting module name: GPOAdmin.dll, version: 10.0.17763.1, time stamp: 0x84e18916
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000bb4cb
    Faulting process id: 0x980
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d50e351f75ca91
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\GPOAdmin.dll
    Report Id: 918fa381-d469-4623-9544-9a949e90666d
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Fix the white frameless windows

The new UI design of making the windows white and windows without frames is a poor design decision.
    If you try to counteract the white-everwhere look, and select the 'dark' theme, then you have a black title bar on the windows, and then you can't see the 'minimize, restore & close' options.

If you've got multiple 'native' server 2019 applications open, its very difficult to differentiate where the edges of the windows are - so much I've had premier support staff get caught out by it when on remote support calls.

If you run 'older' products such as SCCM, and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Windows Server 2016 Update Needs to be FIXED

Unacceptable windows server 2016 updates will take 48 hours to complete. My Linux servers will update in 10 minutes of time. This slow update process is akin to taking 48 hours to fill gas tank on your car. FIX IT ALREADY.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Server 2019 - ALT-F4 - bring back the shutdown/logoff dialog box

Historically, ALT-F4 will close out your windows...and if you were at the desktop, it would nicely bring up a dialog box asking if you'd like to sign-out or shutdown/reboot, etc. That is gone it seems...except for the built-in administrator. This leads to accidental logouts and closing of sessions that may have been active, etc. From what I've seen, MS has stated this is "by design" and needs to go to the forum to restore sanity. Seems odd it exists for one type of account and not able to be enabled for others. Regardless....bring back the logoff/shutdown dialog box please, or…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Why and how to using CALs

it is better put a vides clearly about installing both CALs Users and CALs device .
    I am using Windows Server 2008 on local PC , my question how to implementate RDC with CALs on which many Users can access the server concurrently, which one I choose , Users CALs or Device CALs ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Licensing, SKU, & Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base