General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow Microsoft Edge Favorites to be easily managed like the Internet Explorer Favorites folder structure and support folder redirection

Allow Microsoft Edge Favorites to be easily managed like the Internet Explorer Favorites folder structure (end user-manageable) and support folder redirection (especially in the Enterprise edition of Windows 10). The IE Favorites folder can be redirected to a network location and available on any computer a user logs into, Edge Favorites are stuck on the local hard drive in a non-user manageable form (ESE database). The same goes for Sticky Notes, in Windows 7 they were stored in the Roaming AppData folder and followed a user across computers. Now they have been converted to a "modern UI app" which is…

5 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • XBox, Mobile, Phone, Contacts, Maps, Geolocation, Camera, Radios, Onedrive Services in Windows Server 2016

This services makes Windows Server 2016 a toy, not a professional or enterprise product:

Xbox Live Authencation
      Xbox Live Saved Games
      Xbox Live Networking
      Onedrive
      Phone
      Contacts
      Maps
      Mobile devices
      Geolocation
      Camera,
      Radios (Phone,Airplane mode)
      Wallet services.

43 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Bitlocker MFA unlock

This days MFA is getting more and more popular so I was wondering why not add new feature to Windows family so when server boots Bitlocker could be unlocked not by network but by MFA
        What do you think would this be even possible ?

5 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Remove Cortana/Defender/XBox/UAC and the others bloatware

Please don't tell me about core version or nano!

We need a light weight GUI to speed up the settings and keep monitored the logs and other things. Please move all these stuff to "Add roles and Features"

Do you remember windows NT?

We don't need the heavyweight of all bloated stuff of windows 10.

This is a server.

Thank you

31 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • RSAT tools to support below the typical N-1 level

Often many of us work in an environment that is evolving to the latest OS, but perhaps technology or development of internal applications have held or slowed us from updating these to current standards. We are encouraged to use RSAT tools to manage these hosts and services, but these tools are only backwards compatible by N-1.

This means that with a Windows 10 (current build) laptop, which will use RSAT for 2016, I cannot manage my older Windows 2012 or even 2008r2 hosts. I then have to either use a VM which is running Win7 or 8.1 with RSAT to…

4 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Interoperability & Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Update documentation to indicate if VB6 runtime is supported on Windows Server 2016

Update the documentation to indicate whether the VB6 runtime is supported (or already installed) in windows server 2016

6 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Interoperability & Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Set task manager to show total network percent of total capacity

I love Win Server 2012 R2 but HATE the sliding scale for network utilization. Every time I want only % of total bandwidth. If I have a 1GBit connection or a 10Gbit - I want to know if I'm using 1% of it or 15% or whatever. I don't know anyone with a 7.48gbit nic so the math isn't hard. The sliding scale is what I consider good for sleazy sales and marketing departments. PLEASE give us an OPTION to have your autoscale network throughput and a useful percent of total throughput like it had before.

8 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Problems with March 2017 Security Rollup

The moderator from the server forum suggested I post here (please see https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/a894761b-963e-4e4a-a309-d28999209448/march-2017-security-updates-breaks-ntlm-authentication-of-samba-shares-over-netbios?forum=winserversecurity).

We had a production down weekend after installing Microsoft's security March 2017 rollup. This question is to help us understand what was included in the March rollup that broke production in order that we can properly document the workaround.

Scenario:

1. Windows 2008 R2 domain controllers.
                  2. March 2017 security rollup applied.
                  3. SAMBA shares hosted on AIX using NTLM authentication stopped working, giving access denied (client message)
                  Error on AIX host is: "FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS"
                  Error on AIX host is: "SPNEGO login failed: NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT" …

4 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Interoperability & Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Bug : Task Scheduler Repeat Calendar Trigger

Scheduled tasks on Windows Server 2016, with a Repeat Calendar Trigger, do not appear to start after restarting the server.
                    The date of departure being exceeded there is no more triggering. The date of the next trigger is correct but nothing happens.
                    The manual trigger works correctly.
                    To reactivate trigger it is necessary to set a later date on the current date.

21 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Windows 10 start menu

In the Windows 10 start menu again the folders free sortable as in the old Windows versions make. Allow creation of folders in the Start menu again.

3 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Remove/hide Power button/icon from the Start Menu

Add a way, preferably via GPO, to remove/hide the Power Button from the Start Menu, or a way to move the Log Off action to the Power Button.

When you enable "Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down, Restart, Sleep..." in a GPO. and remove the disconnect action, the Power Button still remains, and just opens up a blank menu. And I don't want my users to just see a useless button in the Start Menu.

Technet where I raised the issue: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2cf3cbb9-73b3-45ef-8897-54896d0eda2b/removehide-the-power-button-in-windows-server-2016?forum=ws2016

45 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • WSUS on Win2012: Fix issue that causes Windows Server 2016 clients OS to be listed as "Windows (Version 10)"

When using WSUS on Windows 2012 (WSUS 4.x), the WSUS console incorrectly lists Windows Server 2016 clients with Operating System "Windows (Version 10)". This is confusing to customers, and causes them concerns related to reporting, as well as the ability to update Win2016 clients with WSUS on Windows 2012.

This issue does not occur with WSUS on Windows 2016, where Windows Server 2016 clients are listed with Operating System as "Windows Server 2016 <edition>".

17 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • active directory administrative center search feature is incomplete

well, WTH?! ADUC lets you find users, computers, group, printers, shares, etc.

why on earth the new ADAC is lacking this feature? why don't you have the option to choose primitive object types in ADAC search as you can in ADUC? I know you have LDAP query builder and all that (which is awesome by the way); but shouldn't simple stuff be available and intuitive stuff be as easy as they have always been with newer tools?

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• GUI for DNS policies and rate-limiting

Please implement GUI for configuring DNS policies and DNS rate-limiting in Windows Server 2016.

2 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • We need a new TechNet forum named Windows Server 2016 Essentials

Please create a new TechNet forum named Windows Server 2016 Essentials to align with new product released.

33 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Finally, please describe for each executable (standalone & services) it's necessity to access the Internet

This is a security issue.

Hello

It's really strange that we use operating systems which do not describe its executables and their eligibility to access the internet.

If we monitor which programms access the internet on a Windows Machine, then we really often have to google for its executable name and just get informations like "we do'nt know what it does, but it is probably safe to allow internet access".

Therefore, please:
                                  1) Finally, create a professional application & service architecture. No, to route everything over svchost.exe is not a secure design. Not at all.

2) Finally, create a datasheet…

4 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Server : Time Zone change log.

Hi,

When we change the system time zone,
                                    It would be logged in System Log:
                                    Event id 1:
                                    Source : Kernel-General.

Details :
                                    The system time has changed to ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎30T07:02:56.704492900Z from ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎30T07:02:56.704492900Z.

Change Reason: System time adjusted to the new time zone.

Issue:
                                    The New time and the Old time are the same in the details which will not help much to know from which timezone it had been changed from .

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Add back support for Edge

Please add the option to install Microsoft Edge on the server.

32 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Server Core allow background image / bginfo

Customers want to embrace Server core, however the learning curve can be steep for their internal teams.

Idea: Allowing background images to be set. This would enable scenarios like using BG info for quick system status , or images with instructions like "press ctrl alt delete if you have closed the last console window". This can be very beneficial for improving the learning curve!!

7 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Urgently need WSE-2106 Media pack to stream video/movies for home use

Urgently need WSE-2106 Media pack to stream video/movies for home use

47 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Interoperability & Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base