General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Printer mappings using Azure/Intune cloud-only

make it possible to map direct TCP/IP printers with policies using a cloud-only identity model

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. hyper-V Manager

In Virtual Machines list a column to show whether the VM is the primary replicating out, or a dormant replica.

I had a panicked user start the replica because he thought the VM was turned off.

That said, can I rename the VM on the replica side only (by adding the word REPLICA for example)?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add 'server-based personal desktop sessions' for RDS in the Server Manager or any other GUI

Currently, Server-based personal desktop sessions are still underrated. Still it has a lot of potential and a lot of users are looking for a way to implement this, assign users to different Terminal Servers manually istead of letting the load balancer do it for them.
    Unfortunately to have this configured we are forced to use PowerShell, which is not handy at all times.

To make this more reliable and easy to manage; add Server-based personal desktops to be configurable within the Server Manager under Remote Desktop Services.

IT-staff will then be able to easily assign groups of users to different…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. quick access

Pinned locations on Quick Access shows folder name but cannot change display name to differentiate between many folders with the same name in different locations.
    Please let us change the display name of a folder in the QuickAccess list as we previously could with the old Favourites list? Or let us put Favourites back on top of the windows explorer navigator?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Feedback is in regards to the "AD FS Rapid Restore Tool". This should come as windows update, accessory to ADFS.

"AD FS Rapid Restore Tool" , it is a great tool and should come as a windows update instead of coming as a download option. "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-fs/operations/ad-fs-rapid-restore-tool" great article but not even a single review? How is it possible that no one had seen this and reviewed?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. idiotic

Continiously Windows Update: "Windows Hello for Business"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Storage Replica - Multiple Primary/Secondary Volumes

Please allow a primary volume from Site A to replicate to a volume at Site B. At the same time allow a primary volume from Site B to replicate to a volume at site A.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. VMConnect: RDP: CTRL+ALT+BREAK (Toggle Windows Mode / Fullscreen): broken

Good evening

In RDP, we can use CTRL+ALT+BREAK to toggle the Remote Desktop Window between Window and Full Screen mode.

This Hotkey worked in VMConnect, too and it's a well known Hotkey:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/learn-more/hyper-v-virtual-machine-connect

In the latest Hyper-V Release this function is broken: VMConnect does not switch to full Screen Mode, it just moves the RDP Toolbar.

It's annoying, that:
    » M$ does not automatically test such basic functions which almost never will change (and therefore it's great to automatically test it) before a new release is deployed to many millions of customers.

» M$ does not display the most basic…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. About disk management

hi in my laptop Disk-C' having 846 GB so I want to split it to many drive ,in order to trying only half of the memory only I can split means only 450 GB something having option to split but I want thec` drive only 150GB ,how to solve this problem

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. This was supposed to be a platfrom / browser agnostic version of RemoteApp. It is not. It is still tied to IE and works horribly on Macs.

Suggest you find another way to process .rdp files that is truly device / software agnostic.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Interoperability & Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 360 Desktop Backgrounds

For the background image while logging in make the pictures panoramas so we can have a 360 degree view, can also be applied to backgrounds.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. under "Search"

i was thinking that maybe when you type a(n) subject or name of service you run, maybe the search can go find it and tell you how to (everything) it. just an idea but I am getting sick of being in device manager and typeing subjects in help search for item\s im looking right at and seeing Nothing and reading no info available.

ps side note, mmc told me it needed an update but theres no obvoius way so typed it in the search and it brought me to the content page....

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Need to allow access to different domains via different credentials in same AD Administrative Center

Need to allow access to different domains via different credentials in same AD Administrative Center. runas will only work for one domain at a time per session. I'd like to manage different domains using different credentials per domain.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add the ability to log certificate thumbprints to NPS authentications

This would be very helpful for us to be able to monitor for devices using certificates that are close to expiring.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Support sso in rd webclient so users do not have to log in twice.

After a user logs into rds2016 web page when they launch an app from the html5 client the first app prompts them to log in again.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Option to disable copy on select

It looks like powershell has adopted the horrible design decision of copying the text you select to the clipboard. This has the side effect of clearing your command you copied from another window because when you click in the terminal window to set focus it copies that 1 character the cursor is at. This is very annoying, Please at least provide an option to disable copying text to clipboard on selection.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Get-WindowsCapability -Online Hangs on Build 17133.73

No activity in Task Manager. I waited it out for 1/2 hour. Only tried in a VM so far. Windows Module Installer shows stopping for a long time in Shutdown/Restart.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. SCCM

SCCM has been redesigned with Windows 10 and Office 365 Consoles. I don't like being forced to use these consoles! We currently have Windows 7 and Office 2013 installs that we support as well as Windows 10 and Office 365. Until these new consoles were FORCED upon us, Everything on my SCCM server was the same and easy for my people to follow and understand. Now Office 365 and Office 2013 updates are different, windows 7 and windows 10 updates are different. This causes confusion for my people! The Root folder in Software Updates is named "All Software Updates", yet…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. storage on some harddrives and usb flashdrive are hard to see whats going on in the back ground on a public server in a library which IT guy

sort the network out I think is causation problems on the computers in Hampshire Public library's at times are slow down in this 21st centuries with windows 10. .

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Survey  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base