General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Another job..

Suggest you to get another jobs in which your knowledge (lack of) may be more useful for customers.. ex. in a kebab-shop..

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make Windows Deployment Server stop breaking on updates

Every time there is a major 6-month update for Windows Server 2016, my Windows Deployment Server will break and we will not be able to image computers without a complete re-install of Windows Server.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix the dead-end URL's sent with Evaluation copies of Windows Server 2012R2

Received my email with extra documentation regarding the evaluation copy of Windows Server 2012 R2 and the links are all dead.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Do not Touch my ATROCITY EVER AGAIN TO DEAZURAZE ME OF MY AUTHORITY

I HAVE BEEN IN AN INTEGRATION MODEL SINCE 2011. I HAVE INTEGRATED, I HAVE PULLED APART AND I AM INTEGRATING NOW TO BE SOFT AGAIN.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Interoperability & Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. There is a bug in DfsrHelper.dll

If a Powershell script creates a DFSR RG and invokes the CmdLet "Set-DfsrMembership" multiple times to add several member servers then there is a high probability that the CmdLet will fail.
    I have a PowerShell script than creates a new DFSR RG, adds the local server and a folder, then calls the above CmdLet.
    if the script is run in a loop (deleting the RG between iterations) then the script will fail after 2 - 5 loops.

I've used .NET Reflector to debug the DfsrPowershell, DfsObjectModel and DfsrHelper DLL's and I found that the error is as follows:
    Set-DfsrManagement attempts…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. powershell ISE Editor debugger crashes index out of range

In a certain powershell script i'm working on i get the following error when i try and debug:

E:\logs\Invoke-IISGraphInteractiveV14.ps1 :
    Exception : System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.

Parameter name: length

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Span..ctor(Int32 start, Int32 length)
    at Microsoft.PowerShell.Host.ISE.ISEEditor.MarkPosition(Int32 lineNumber, Int32 startPosition, Int32
    endPosition, String marking)
    at Microsoft.PowerShell.Host.ISE.ISEFile.SetDebuggerCurrentPosition(Int32 lineNumber, Int32
    startColumn, Int32 endColumn)
    at Microsoft.PowerShell.Host.ISE.PowerShellTab.DoEnterDebugger()
    at Microsoft.PowerShell.Host.ISE.PowerShellTab.DoEnterNestedPrompt(Object context)
    at
    Microsoft.Windows.PowerShell.Gui.Internal.WPFHelper.<>c__DisplayClass9.<SendToUIThread>b__8(Object obj)

TargetObject :
    CategoryInfo : OperationStopped: (:) [Write-IISResponseCharts], ArgumentOutOfRangeException
    FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException,Write-IISResponseCharts

here is the code block:

$DataToUse = $data.data |Where {$_['time']}| where $CoreFilterSB | where $FilterSB

$TransformedData = $DataToUse |

select @{n='Series';e={Invoke-Command $seriesSB
    1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. My Feedback

Why do none of my 3rd party programs ( I do not embrace this newspeak nowadays termed apps) respond the way they used to?
    From games that can no longer be saved or deleted, to basic utilities such as 7 zip & Ccleaner which have greyed out options when selecting open with.
    On my system I am the sole user/administrator & find many of the intricacies of pertaining every windows update 10 very confusing. Is there a "blanket" approach where I can permit all installed programs the rights to function normally?
    Cheers T.C..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Error password

I installed in gataway mode on server 2016 in the domain, starting the page by Chrome or Edge I have to save the credentials of adm of the domain and is asking again when I try to add a host. Is it a known bug?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Do you even potato?

Do you even potato?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. enable rdp cookies in the android and Mac remote desktop clients

The remote desktop client on Mac and Android doesn't send an rdp cookie containing the username - this makes load balancing on older rdp servers and gateways impossible since the user cannot be tracked.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Printer mappings using Azure/Intune cloud-only

make it possible to map direct TCP/IP printers with policies using a cloud-only identity model

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. hyper-V Manager

In Virtual Machines list a column to show whether the VM is the primary replicating out, or a dormant replica.

I had a panicked user start the replica because he thought the VM was turned off.

That said, can I rename the VM on the replica side only (by adding the word REPLICA for example)?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add 'server-based personal desktop sessions' for RDS in the Server Manager or any other GUI

Currently, Server-based personal desktop sessions are still underrated. Still it has a lot of potential and a lot of users are looking for a way to implement this, assign users to different Terminal Servers manually istead of letting the load balancer do it for them.
    Unfortunately to have this configured we are forced to use PowerShell, which is not handy at all times.

To make this more reliable and easy to manage; add Server-based personal desktops to be configurable within the Server Manager under Remote Desktop Services.

IT-staff will then be able to easily assign groups of users to different…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. quick access

Pinned locations on Quick Access shows folder name but cannot change display name to differentiate between many folders with the same name in different locations.
    Please let us change the display name of a folder in the QuickAccess list as we previously could with the old Favourites list? Or let us put Favourites back on top of the windows explorer navigator?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Feedback is in regards to the "AD FS Rapid Restore Tool". This should come as windows update, accessory to ADFS.

"AD FS Rapid Restore Tool" , it is a great tool and should come as a windows update instead of coming as a download option. "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-fs/operations/ad-fs-rapid-restore-tool" great article but not even a single review? How is it possible that no one had seen this and reviewed?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. idiotic

Continiously Windows Update: "Windows Hello for Business"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Storage Replica - Multiple Primary/Secondary Volumes

Please allow a primary volume from Site A to replicate to a volume at Site B. At the same time allow a primary volume from Site B to replicate to a volume at site A.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. VMConnect: RDP: CTRL+ALT+BREAK (Toggle Windows Mode / Fullscreen): broken

Good evening

In RDP, we can use CTRL+ALT+BREAK to toggle the Remote Desktop Window between Window and Full Screen mode.

This Hotkey worked in VMConnect, too and it's a well known Hotkey:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/learn-more/hyper-v-virtual-machine-connect

In the latest Hyper-V Release this function is broken: VMConnect does not switch to full Screen Mode, it just moves the RDP Toolbar.

It's annoying, that:
    » M$ does not automatically test such basic functions which almost never will change (and therefore it's great to automatically test it) before a new release is deployed to many millions of customers.

» M$ does not display the most basic…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. About disk management

hi in my laptop Disk-C' having 846 GB so I want to split it to many drive ,in order to trying only half of the memory only I can split means only 450 GB something having option to split but I want thec` drive only 150GB ,how to solve this problem

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)