General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Include md5sum or similar

It would be nice to have something inbox to calculate md5 sums.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. ket noi wi fi khong duoc

lam the nao de cai dac lai wi-fi

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow PowerShell scripts to run directly in Scheduled Tasks

Please allow to use PowerShell scripts directly within Scheduled Tasks.

An update should offer this functionality for all current supported server versions.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Remove insecure protocols from IIS

Default IIS HTTPS settings should get a good grade on https://www.ssllabs.com/
    If legacy operating system support is needed, that should have to be enabled on a per-site basis.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Remote Desktop Connetion - for Android - Plug and Play Device Access on Remote PC

I have downloaded Microsoft Remote Desktop Application from Playstore and have taken away my computer's remote. But in that I want to connect a barcode scanner through the mobile, so what I have to do.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. to take out the google search from Microsoft

my idea is to take out the google search from Microsoft and we create new search like google for Microsoft and it only used my Microsoft windows and I named it has micro search means even micro issue also will not escape means better then google search and lastly my hamble request sir please think about if we use this idea no company will beat the microsoft and have a nice day

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 建议为MS RDP app增加本地语言或跟随系统语言

建议Microsoft RDP应用能够跟随系统语言或自选本地语言,比如zh-cn中文(简体)、zh-tw中文(繁体)等等。

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. App Remote Desktop

It would be very useful if an import/export was available to be able to configure multiple stations.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. bring back windowsupdate.log and windows update control panel feature to server 2016

Bring back the windowsupdate.log and windows update control panel feature to Server 2016 and 2019. there is no logical reason to remove the log and why would you force the admin to export the log via powershell in some xml format, and decode it via symbols blablabla. Obfuscating the log files is an obvious attempt by msft to take over patch management from the end user.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Storage migration service re-sync modified files during or after cut over

I setup a Server 2019 VM and migrated our old 2008R2 file server, to this server with the Storage migration services through Windows Admin Center.

It seems to work as designed and seems to be a great tool for admins.

However on our current production file server, the migration takes 7 days. Too long to perform it out of hours, and too long to downtime the server. The result is outdated files on the destination side. I haven't found a way with SMS to resolve the issues with latest files being left behind on the source machine.

I'm not sure…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Update registry value when w32tm /config type=ntp and ntpserver=ntp.org

After w32tm /config on PDCe, the registry still contains original domain values.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters
    NtpServer REG_SZ "time.windows.com,0x9"
    Type REG_SZ "NT5DS

But w32tm configuration displays...
    w32tm /query /configuration
    Type: NTP (Policy)
    NtpServer: pool.ntp.org (Policy)

See details here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f633ea8a-81be-4a60-83fd-c9839f6a14f9/when-i-look-at-the-w32tm-registry-values-they-do-not-agree-with-query-status?forum=winserver8gen

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Windows Server Insider Preview 18334 notepad do not open dialog

Open dialog is not displayed in notepad of Windows Server Insider Preview 18334. I can not open an existing file.
    If it is notepad filename, you can open an existing file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Respect Robocopy /NP switch when /MT switch is in use

First reported in 2009, this issue documented and acknowledged in the following TechNet thread, but doesn't seem to be a topic in this forum.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/e8c38fe1-df36-4dfc-8dd5-50613b1a7984/robocopys-mt-option-disables-np-option?forum=w7itprogeneral

Essentially you can use the /NP commmand to suppress progress percentages from the output, but it's not respected when you specify the /MT parameter to perform a multi-threaded operation, and only percentages are returned.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Filter start menu search results windows 10

The windows search exclutions does not work with the windows 10 start menu search. The windows explorer restriction are not active either. Users can find to much wich an administrator does not want. Like unc paths hidden drives en executable when you not the full file name.

There a many excutables in the windows (sytem32) folder students are trying to abuse.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. add lnk to application control policies

Add to posibility to control from where lnk files can be used. Lnk files can be used to start a single line script or start executable with extra parameters an administrator is not happy with. My suggestion is to add this file type to the "application control policies"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. nanoserver:1809 inside docker does not rely CTRL_SHUTDOWN_EVENT

When ever you run an application inside a container built on nanoserver:1809 they don't receive CTRL_SHUTDOWN_EVENT that happens when the container stopped.
    Same issue does not happen with Windows Server Core

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Hyper-V Can't Enable Enhanced Mode For VM Sessions When RemoteFX 3D Video Adapter Assgined

Host OS: Windows 10 Pro for Workstation x64 en-US
    Guest OS: Windows 10 LTSC 2019 x64 en-US

After assigned RemoteFX 3D Video Adapter to the guest OS, it is impossible to enter the enhanced mode.

CPU: Intel Xeon E-2176M
    RAM: 16G DDR4 2666MHz * 3
    Assgined Startup Mem to Guest OS: 2048MB
    GPU0: Intel P630
    GPU1: Quadro P2000

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. RDP / Terminalserver: Allow Drag & Drop. Finally.

You know, Drag & Drop is a useful feature.
    It's annoyoing, that RDP does not support Drag & Drop from / to the remote session.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base