General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Open services from Local server section

Please implement opening services from Server Manager's Local Server -> Services listing. What I mean by "opening" is that you get to the same dialog as in opening Services application and double-clicking on a service.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make something work properly.

Nothing Microsoft ever works. Always some made up issue. Just wanted to set up a simple remote connection between 2 computers, what a farce. An hour later, 2 computers full of apps and ****, 2 emails created I will never use. Awful software.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make character keys work in Linux VMs

I try to use the iOS RD Client to connect to a remote Windows machine, running VMWare with a Linux client. On the VM the keyboard only works with numbers, not with characters. I read on internet forums that Microsoft considers this a design feature. In my opinion this is misuse of market dominance designed to hurt competitors. Please fix.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Make WSUS usable without being a PowerShell pro

Hi Microsoft

WSUS is unusable as it is now unless you know how to write your own PowerShell scripts. 90% of the updates it auto-approves, are completely useless.

It's not even easy to manually decline all the (actually) unneeded updates. If we could sort updates by the criteria we actually use to determine if we need them, we could use this "click&drag"-functionality you implemented (no idea why this was a priority). Right now it just gets in the way of choosing the updates we need to decline.

How about you give us the option to automatically decline ARM64 and x86…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. RDP issues: applications sound transfer, screen stops updating

Hello,
    I found a couple of issues with RDP work:
    1) Applications sound transfer. Some Win10Pro PCs (only few of many similar ones) have issue with transfere of applications sound. I can hear system sound check, but I can't hear any applications: players, browsers, etc. All settings allowed and correct, other PCs transfere all sounds.
    2) If I set all devices to transfer with RDP, transfered screen starts to freeze after some time of work. It happens every time. Screen stops updating, but RDP still works and I can click Remote Desktop, but i won't see what happens until I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please make Windows Server compliant with containers, otherwise the OS is useless

legacy systems needs to go to cloud

.NET and Win32 softwares will be around for long time, for sure..

why container? 1nd

Large systems with decades of code written, composed by 3rd party components can not be changed right away. So containerizing monoliths, are one important step on the jorney to the cloud

why container? 2st

I'm newbie, but as far as I know, the whole thing about containers is ship it as image once and run it everywhere, with environment isolation and integrity.. right?!

the issue

There is no way to properly set globalization settings like Time Zone,…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Cannot get client IP address by connecting from MSRDC.exe.

My app is calling WTSQuerySessionInformation API on WVD VM to get the Client Name and IP Address, but it cannot get IP Address on using MSRDC.exe.

<Calling>
    WTSQuerySessionInformation(WTSCURRENTSERVERHANDLE, WTSCURRENT_SESSION, WTSClientAddress, &pszData, &cbRet);
    <Result>
    Family : 0
    IP Address : 0.0.0.0

Please fix this problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Cursor - Black box

Since the latest update, I've had issues with a black box coming surrounding my cursor. I've tried restarting the remote computer to no avail. It does it randomly and stays on for varying lengths of time. At times, there has been great mouse lag. The remote mouse driver is up to date in the configuration.

Can this be improved?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. DIR command line - Override truncated output option

When I try tu use the "DIR" command line to extract files information, I got some problem when the "Owener name is too long". I didn't see his name but only "..."

Sample command:

ECHO Search entire C drive for MP3 files...
    C:
    CD \
    DIR /S /TA /Q *.mp3

A "correct" output should be:

2020-11-19 11:25 3,000,024 MyDomain\MyUser MySong.mp3

A "bad" output, where username seem to be longer than the allowed column width, give me:

2020-11-19 11:25 3,000,024 ... MySong.mp3

But I also observed for the "file name" is not seem to be an issue when t use a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Kerberos using AES still not working where it should

Establish a two-way forest trust.

Try to establish Remote Desktop Connection from a computer in one forest to a computer in another forest, with an account that is a member of “Protected Users” security group. The connection will fail if the computer (from where you’re trying to establish RDP connection) does not have “RC4HMACMD5” kerberos encryption type enabled (i.e. it only has “AES256HMACSHA1” enabled).

On the other hand, if the user that is trying to establish Remote Desktop Connection is using an account that is NOT a member of “Protected Users” security group, and only AES…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. fix the bugs in Openssh

we have the OpenSSHforWindows_7.7 in last windows 10 as of today.
    The problem is that is does not work to log a user in ssh securely with keys (not password). Please keep me posted

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. windos düzgün çalışmiyor hep hata veiyor

windos düzgün çalışmıyor hep hata veriyor rahat çalışamıyorum

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Azure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. disco inicializado não encontra suporte

inicializo o disco, mas ao tentar formata-lo recebo o seguinte rodutoGerenciador de disco virtual_ Não há suporte para o pedido.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. what does this (Dir /AR) mean?

Dir /AR, l need the meaning for a class exercise any help w/ leads is good

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Licensing, SKU, & Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. storage migration works with nas

Needs to be able to copy synology shares onto a windows server and maintain acl.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Interoperability & Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. RDSH role breaks Windows Search

Hello,

on a fresh installed and fully patched Windows Server 2019 Std if I enable RDSH role the Windows Search stops working.

Windows Search service looks good and eventlog shows no errors but Indexing Options shows no locations enabled for indexing and I am unable to add them

Things I have already tried

1 - Windows Search service restart

2 - Server restart

3 - Rebuild Index

4 - Enable Windows Search feature

5 - DISM ad SFC

6 - Windows Troubleshoot - shows incorrect permission on C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data folder but is unable to fix them. If I manually fix those…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. WSUS privileges to manage computers only

Actually, WSUS allow two security levels only: Administrators or Reports Users.

We are a large company where we need to allow some IT technicians to manage computers (move them from a group to another one for special approvals) and we can't use Active Directory groups linking because we have many domains and workgroup machines also.

And we don't want to allow updates approvals, only computers management (change computer from a group to another one).

Since WSUS 2.0... Not real innovation was there ! Please allow more security in WSUS 10.0

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base