General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add basic Linux management to Windows Admin Center

Windows Admin Center is fantastic but we all manage a mix of Linux and Windows Servers. Add the ability to add Linux Servers, SSH over the browser, and a few basic items would be phenomenal (process list, disk info, file explorer)

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Storage migration service re-sync modified files during or after cut over

I setup a Server 2019 VM and migrated our old 2008R2 file server, to this server with the Storage migration services through Windows Admin Center.

It seems to work as designed and seems to be a great tool for admins.

However on our current production file server, the migration takes 7 days. Too long to perform it out of hours, and too long to downtime the server. The result is outdated files on the destination side. I haven't found a way with SMS to resolve the issues with latest files being left behind on the source machine.

I'm not sure…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. [Bug] Windows Admin Center page keeps requesting credentials

The Windows Admin Center page keeps requesting credentials for the Windows Admin Center when adding computers or installing extensions, and it often does so twice in a row.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow installation of Semi Annual Channel Server Core Features on Demand on LTSC Server Core Version

It is not possible to install the Windows Server 1903 Version of Server Core Features on Demand on a Windows Server 2019 LTSC Server Core.

This should be possible, because many admin tools are missing from the initial release of FOD for Server Core.

I hope Microsoft does not seriously require customers to install a new server just to get additional admin tools on a server core.

What makes this even more cumbersome is that it is not possible to inplace upgrade a semi annual servers to the next version!

THANKS

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add IP Address Column to Print Management MMC - Printers View

Print Management MMC in Administrative Tools does not have the ability to add the IP Address of the printer as one of the columns to chose. It would be a big benefit to be able to see that.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make ADFS support ECP Enhanced Client Proxy

Make ADFS support ECP Enhanced Client Proxy

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. ACCP

GOOD AZURE
    NIRBHAY

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Azure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make it easier & quicker to deleat old emails.

Need a way to delete a large number of old emails. I have some 4,000+ emails going back to 2003. I've moved several times & most are no longer needed or of use. Yes, I have an older machine & Windows Live Mail. Besides doing it one by one, I find no way to delete - say a page of old emails at the same time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Server 2016 Storage System 257 Error Refs

Receiving error --> The volume Shares (E:) was not optimized because an error was encountered: The operation requested is not supported by the hardware backing the volume. (0x8900002A)

This is a storage spaces tiered virtual disk formatted Refs.

Any guidance?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 2019 HyperV: Upgrade Configuration Version breaks VMs with Checkpoints

it's a shame that M$ does not test basic functions like this before deploying SW like the Windows 2019 Server: We have a 2019 Server with HyperV. One VM uses the VM-Configuration 5.0 and has two Checkpoints. If "Upgrade Configuration Version" is called, then HyperV creates one VM for each Checkpoint.

Is it that hard to have a test case:
    "Upgrade Hyper-V Configuration using a VM containing at least 2 Checkpoints"?

20 years ago, it was OK to deploy such bugs.
    Today… it's a shame.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Windows server images should not install deskop services such as Maps, One sync

Windows server should have the option to NOT install desktop services which are very unlikely to be used in a corporate environment these include Maps, Onsync, and XBox. Not only do they appear to be unnecessary they cause false positives with system monitoring software.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Prevent Update nag firing when you clink in to the update screen

When updates are pending on our Server 2016 estate handled by WSUS we should get a prompt to advise that updates are pending. This is all fair and well if you aren't particularly going in to do the updates.

If you are straight on the box and going into updates as soon as you click Update and security the update nag fires taking over the screen only to have the option to show the updates that are locked in the background that I already navigated to. Clearly this is not the expected behaviour and hopefully is just the OS going…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Update Essentials 2012 R2 Dashboard to be compatible with current .NET releases

If any .NET version after 4.5.2 is installed, some dashboard functionality fails (can't remove computer, can't ignore alert) and the dashboard crashes randomly. Removing and blocking .NET 4.6.1, 4.7, and 4.7.1 works around the issue, but that means the server is limited to the 4-year-old .NET 4.5.2. This article has more details:

https://www.mcbsys.com/blog/2018/02/essentials-2012-r2-dashboard-fails-with-net-4-6-and-4-7/

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. zyci zycie jest nowela

biale biale biale włosy
    bialy bialy bialy welon

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. RDP client: configuring source port

(Upvote please for the sake of flexibility and security)

Please allow configuring the client source port for RDP in stead of the currently random port selection.
    In addition to changing RDP on the remote server. I want to limit connectivity except from specific ports at the client side to enforce security.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Hyper-V Server 2019 (17763.1) did not detect CU for Windows

Windows Update (sconfig 6) on Hyper-V Server 2019 does not detect any cumulative updates for Windows. It detect only cumulative updates for .NET Framework and Windows Defender Updates. I can manually install Cumulative Updates for Windows Server 2019 (downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog) to Hyper-V Server 2019.

I know that I should not use the first ISO media (17763.1) I downloaded in early October. I just reported. I hope the early restart of ISO media offering.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Windows Hyper-V Server Core 2019 RDP not listening on port 3389 after enabled.

Even after the TermService service is enabled, the system is still not listening to port 3389. Settings double-checked to be enabled in the CLI enabler, via regedit, and running processes checked to be running, and ports checked with netstat.

Still not working.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Get-Item through Invoke-Command in Windows Server 2019 returns local result

Invoking Get-Item 'HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\' locally will Return amongst others fDenyTSConnections When invoking the same command wrapped in an Invoke-Command the local server values were returned. When running the Get-Item cmdlet in locally or in a PSSession the right result is returned.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base