General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 5 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Replace the server GUI with a website

I do believe that servers do not need a GUI and probably should not have one for performance and security reasons. With Windows Server 2016, the default installation is Server Core, and I do think this is a very good thing.

However, there are scenarios when a GUI can be handy, particularly for small business with limited IT resources (for example, for the Essentials role). In this scenario, instead of installing a GUI on the server (with calculator, Explorer, Internet Explorer, etc.) the user should be able to access and configure the server from a webpage just like most routers…

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Wir brauchen einen Computer oder Laptop mit integriertem Drucker.

Hallo liebes Microsoft Team
        Ich habe oft darüber nachgedacht was der Menschheit fehlt die Geschäftlich oder auch Privat oft unterwegs sind. Stellen Sie sich einmal vor jemand der beruflich oft Reist, nie an einem Punkt ist hat so gut wie immer sein Notebook oder Laptop dabei. Jetzt muss der jenige was ausdrucken, aber wo ? Wie währe die Idee mit einem Laptop mit integriertem Drucker.
        Oder ein ALL IN ONE Rechner mit integriertem Drucker. Vielleicht hat man nicht soviel Platz zuhause oder man will sich etwas kaufen wo alles mit drinnen ist.

Ich würde mich über eure Meinung interessieren wie…

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add Itanium Support to Windows Server 2016

Intel Itanium can emulate x64 but they are not officially supported in Windows Server 2016. Windows Server 2016 should be one edition and download should say for "64-bit systems" and that should be compatible with x86_64, Itanium, and 64-bit ARM.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Interoperability & Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Telecommute Add-on or App

Our company is largely a Microsoft shop. We are also looking to take advantage of telecommute work options. Right now there isn't a good solution that integrates well with the tools we use to help managers do their jobs remotely. It is largely left up to high volume communication between manager and employees. With all the pitfalls that entails.

My suggestion is a piece of software (maybe an Outlook addon) that can aggregate activity in most/all Microsoft products. For instance, it can show mail activity of your employees, TFS activity, Lync/Skype activity, etc... in one place to gauge productivity and…

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Gruppenzugehörigkeit im Kontakt sichtbar machen

Ich muss alle Kontakte einer Gruppe zuordnen. Leider kann man, wenn man die Kontakte durchklickt nicht ersehen, ob der Kontakt bereits einer Gruppe zugeordnet wurde. Die Konkurrenz GMX ist hier wesentlich besser aufgestellt.

2 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • update the default logo on Windows Server 2016 Essentials "mobile" browser to display Windows Server, rather than Windows Server 2012 R2.

i noticed when browsing to windows server 2016 essentials on my smartphone, the default logo displays "Windows Server 2012 R2", while the same page on my PC shows "Windows Server". perhaps the image needs to be updated for the mobile platform to match the desktop platform.

4 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Windows 2016 start menu search on GUI should be as comprehensive as Windows 10 and Windows 2012R2

When I hit start and type "Active", for example, the start menu correctly finds "Active Directory Users and Computers", "Active Directory Domains and Trusts", etc. on Windows 10 and Windows 2012R2.
                  that is NOT the case in Windows 2016 TP5. I have to type in "administrative" to get to "Windows Administrative Tools" and then run my mmc.

I don't know if it is a setting I should enable (maybe Cortana), or I have to wait for some indexing to finish (I've already waited waaay to long; besides Windows 2012R2 does not have this index-wait-time) for this comprehensive search to happen,…

69 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Call UWP APIs from Server applications

In the past I have always been able to call my WinForms or WPF or any Win32 code from my server-side applications. This was useful for rendering media on the fly to serve up on a web site.

As far as I can tell, much of the UWP API set isn't available to the server. I'm thinking of the UI Composition layer and the video and audio APIs.

3 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Manage Settings (New Control Panel) for RDSH Servers

I am working on a new lockdown group policy that will be used for our future Windows 2016 XenApp servers.

As this will be used for a lot of users, certain things will need to be locked down. For example the Settings need to be locked down in the same way as it possible with Control Panel.

I want to be able to manage what settings is visible in Settings with GPO.

We cannot allow users on a shared RDSH server to install windows update, add VPN connection, check what application is installed etc etc.
                      With Control Panel it was…

14 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Outlook: Enable the possibility to move several tasks to a customized date

If you Chose a Task you have different options to move/reschedule it like 'Today', 'Tomorrow', 'This week', 'Custom' etc.
                        If you Chose more than one Task the Option 'Custom' is not available anymore but would be useful.

3 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • If Windows Server 2016 support "windows hello" feature?

If Windows Server 2016 TP5 support "windows hello" feature? any declare or blog?

I installed windows server 2016 (14393), and then I can't use "windows hello" in settings.

this feature worked in windows 10.

10 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow Ethernet Connections to be Metered

Since only wifi connections can be metered it is not possible to control the application of updates. Anyone with an Ethernet connection to the internet can have long runs interrupted and days even weeks of work can be damaged. Allowing Ethernet connections to be metered should add a necessary degree of control.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Kontakte in Kontaktgruppen nach Nachnamen sortieren und nicht nach Emailadressen

Die Kontakte in Kontaktgruppen werden nach Emailadressen sortiert und nicht nach den Nachnamen. Das ist mehr als unübersichtlich.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Ordner "vorgeschlagene Kontakte" bitte wieder zuschalten

Bitte schalten Sie den Ordner "vorgeschlagene Kontakte" wieder zu. Wenn man einen neuen Kontakt nicht sofort speichert, findet man ihn nicht wieder, wenn man wie wir, mehrere Tausend Kontakte hat.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Disable Windows Store for regular users.

Regular users are allowed to install Apps. This shouldn't be allowed on ** server **. Any GPO I tried on W2016 TP5 had no effect.

Also, I don't understand why an "Application" would not be a "software" and why there is a need for "Application Control Policies" GPO beside "Software Restriction Policies" GPO.

13 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Storage Replica Partnership is un-removable

I tried to implement Storage Replica (Server-to-Server), Once It sets up the partnership, I could not remove the partnership to bring live the destination drive. The error message says that "There is no Partnership between both servers" but I confirm it has with get-srpartnership cmdlet.

Destination drive is totally unmountable even via Diskpart.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Run group policy update silently when run from Group Policy Management

On Server 2012 when running Group Policy Update from within the Group Policy Management Console the update runs interactive on the targeted systems. This makes the feature pretty much obsolete as you can't run a group policy update in real time urgently if it means the perception of interfering with end users.

13 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Slight mod to new servicing/patching model

I'm a big fan of the new CU based model except...the CUs are getting big. Maybe release 2 updates with each CU
                                        1. The full CU as you do right now.
                                        2. a delta CU from the last CU. I don't think you need to go any further back than that. option 1 will cover all other scenarios.

Also applies to Win 10

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • "On-Premesis" CRL distribution

Create a capability to have on-premises copies of CRLs, that machines can be redirected to via Group Policy.

6 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base