How can we improve the virtualization platform and management in Windows Server?

Windows Server 2016 eval (build 1607) Datacenter crashes when hot add another CPU in VMware

Running the RTM (?) version of Windows Server 2016 in vSphere 6.0, I have some problems.

When using hot add CPU it crashes or freezes the VM. CPU hot add is supported both by VMware and Microsoft and works flawless in production for 2008 R2 and 2012 R2.

I tried to open a case with VMware but got an nonsense answer, not sure if it a VMware or Windows issue.

VM is installed by VMware best practices, latest VMware tools etc. Tried to reinstall with different virtual hardware etc without any impact.

When hot add CPU from 1 -> 2 = always immediately reboot
When hot add CPU from 2 -> 3 or higher = sometimes it works, sometimes it freeze

4 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bjorn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Glenn Turner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We logged a case with Microsoft (REG:118070418514339] Guest 2016 OS bluescreens when hot-adding CPU in VMware)

The engineer came back with the following:

I have worked with my team to check the dump again, and we found this issue is the known problem existing on the Win 2016 OS version, and now our product team is actively working on this for a fix. When add hot-CPU, system will check the CPU flag, while it encounter issue when compare the CPU flag between the new added one and the existing one.

Now our product team and the developer team are working on this issue to look for a resolution. I have contact them before, and it seems the fix for this issue would be released at the end of August this year in the security update. I will keep you update once I get the fix.

Feedback and Knowledge Base