How can we improve the virtualization platform and management in Windows Server?

Configure VLAN in Virtual Switch on Hyper-V Manager

Enable on Hyper-V Manager options configure VLAN on vSwitches.

28 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angelo Maximo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard Katz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, I am switching to Hyper-V from Virtual Box and my virtual machine iso for Ubuntu 16.04 and Kali are simply not able to connect to the Internet. I have followed the instructions provided here to create a Virtual Switch using Hyper-V and then pointed to this switch from the VM. But the VM simply won't connect. Ubuntu reports that it is "offline."

I am using Hyper-V at suggestion from Docker who updates Docker for Windows which runs with Hyper-V but does not as aggressively maintain the Docker Tool Kit.

I am going to need to fix this to go further with Hyper-V.

I do run successfully the same VM in Virtual Box on a different machine with no problem. The VM simply reports that it is "off line."

The Virtual Switch is called "External VM Switch." Powershell reports that the adapter is up:

vEthernet (External VM... Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter #2 42 Up 00-28-F8-14-61-EE 26 Mbps

Is there some additional information about Virtual Switches and why they will or won't work?

A complete list from Powershell is below.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Rich

----------------
        Complete Powershell output

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-NetAdapter

Name InterfaceDescription ifIndex Status MacAddress LinkSpeed
        ---- -------------------- ------- ------ ---------- ---------
        Network Bridge Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexo... 26 Up 00-28-F8-14-61-EE 26 Mbps
        vEthernet (External VM... Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter #2 42 Up 00-28-F8-14-61-EE 26 Mbps
        Wi-Fi Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 23 Up 00-28-F8-14-61-EE 26 Mbps
        Ethernet 4 AnchorFree TAP-Windows Adapter V9 21 Disconnected 00-FF-99-00-F6-A6 100 Mbps
        Bluetooth Network Conn... Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Netw... 13 Disconnected 00-28-F8-14-61-F2 3 Mbps
        Ethernet 3 TAP-Windows Adapter V9 12 Disconnected 00-FF-60-1D-3D-39 100 Mbps
        vEthernet (Default Swi... Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter 4 Up CE-15-1D-84-33-06 10 Gbps

• Clint Branham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1, there is no reason to configure each virtual port like the vswitch is a physical. Let me trunk a physical port and hang multiple single-vlan vswitches off of it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this is a must have. Define VLAN on vSwitch like you do in VMware portgroup. Doesnt make sense to define per VM.

Feedback and Knowledge Base