How can we improve the virtualization platform and management in Windows Server?

Nested Hypervisor

Tremendous important for developers who need Windows Phone emulator inside their Visual Studio VM, training and complex scenarios testing without requiring loads of hardware. People with this needs use VMware to achieve it. To have this on Hyper-V is top priority.

68 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Paulo Ramos shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • SAARay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whaaaat? The lord giveth and,
    taketh away?

Naaah, they know that Hyper-V is central to our methods....

• Pippo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have seen that in any field (not only computers) the main sellers company were the ones that allowed the users to have better testing environments.

A lot of people want to create a testing environment home; and most of them cannot afford a dedicated machine that has to be re-imaged any time something different has to be tested.

This would allow even mixed environment scenarios where HyperV solutions could be developed and tested with other solutions.

As an example I have tested VMware in this way; so I feel more comfortable in suggesting a VMware solution than an HyperV one.

• GK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since we're asking, hopefully, we'll receive the same in Windows 10!! Let's also make it so that we can use our existing hardware like 1st and 2nd gen coreX physical laptops which support upto 32gb ram please!

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very surprised it has not been done before now. Can't implement what you can't test cost efficiently!

• Mathieu Isabel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very useful in some key scenarios but should it be the top ask for the Hyper-V engineering group? I'm surprised to see this at the top of the mind of Hyper-V users!

• Micheal Kilpatric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a trainer, I can say it benefits classroom delivery around Hyper-V, Clustering, etc training to lower the hardware.

• Ivan Seriavin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That could also be very helpful for custom Hyper-V server image development. It takes a while for our servers to poll all the hardware on every reboot, so eventually testing and tuning the bare metal deployment process for Hyper-V hosts proves to be a very time consuming process. For this scenario to work, I would imagine the parent hypervisor would need to support PXE boot for nested hypervisors, as well as the IMPI support to issue reboot commands remotely (i.e. SCVMM uses those for BMD).

Feedback and Knowledge Base