Virtualization

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. High Resolution VMConnection for Linux

Support for high resolution VMConnection with Windows is great in the 1709 release. When configured as an Enahnced Session, it's capable of dynamically resizing due to its use of RDP.

Linux won't have RDP built-in which is required at the moment for Enhanced Sessions, but it would be great if the Hyper-V team could come up with a way to support dynamically resizing Linux's most popular Window Systems... X & Wayland.

I'm not sure how to support X & Wayland. A .deb & .rpm package that installs an "agent" or "Integration Component" that enables this would be great until Microsoft…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  VMConnection & remoting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hyper-V Default Microsoft Hyper-V Video Adapter

Introduce a way to either completely remove the default 'Microsoft Hyper-V Video' adapter, or reassign it as a secondary adapter, when a DDA (SR-IOV) graphics adapter is being passed through to the VM.

We have a Hyper-V Server 2016 with a Windows 10 Pro VM configured with a Direct Device Assignment (DDA) GPU passed through to the VM, which is working and numerous tests have demonstrated that the graphics card is indeed able to operate at native speeds while attached to the VM.

The problem we're having is only OpenGL software calls work - Direct 3D doesn't work, and any…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow me to set a new minimum memory while VM is running

I normally next-next-next-finish and end up with VMs set to 8GB max RAM and 512MB minimum. Windows seems to absolutely sip RAM however, and never come close to using the available RAM.

So I go to increase the RAM...and I get an error messagethat I cannot change the minimum RAM while the VM is running or paused.

Is there a functional reason for this? It drives me bonkers.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Memory  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Auditing of virtual machine connections

I raised that question in https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/eac58596-2ce1-4612-91be-5b4da7ec4aa3/auditing-vm-connections?forum=winserverhyperv, but obviously that features is missing. I´d like to see auditing of virtual machine connections, i.e. which (obviously authenticated and authorized) user connected (or later disconnected) to which virtual machine (name, guid).
    Thanks
    Joachim Lindenberg

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Hypervisor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. VSS Hyper-V VM bug

There is a bug, uncovered when using Veeam backup software which they describe as -

"Application-aware processing of Active Directory domain controllers running on guest OS other than Windows Server 2016 fails with the “Failed to create VM recovery checkpoint” error (32770). This is a Hyper-V 2016 issue that Microsoft is planning to address in the future update."

Any news on a fix for this would be great.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. LACP in Virtual Environment

Hi,

Please allow LACP configurations for NIC teaming in virtual environments. This is a possible solution. The only allowed option is "Switch Independent", which is limiting to me. I run LACP configurations in my VMware environment for all my 2012R2 servers now, no issues from this design. Allow me to do this again please.

Thanks,
    Nick

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Networking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Hyper-V Replica using IP Address instead of NETBIOS/FQDN

Is there any chance to have Hyper-V Replica to work over IP address instead of NETBIOS/FQDN?
    Without messing with DNS / hosts file (%windir%\system32\drivers\etc).
    Scenario: Sending replica traffic over dedicated network.
    Network Constraint (control which networks HR runs upon, based on network interface).
    Thanks!

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Hyper-v Replica  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Hyper-V should support VMware Parallels style fullscreen VM as a Windows desktop

In VMWare Parallels on Mac, we have the option of performing a shortcut to jump directly into a VM on a different desktop.

In Windows 10, we now have multiple desktop support, which is wonderful! However if we full-screen a VM, we can't use our normal hotkey to go back to the parent windows desktop. Instead, those hotkeys are interpretted by the full-screen VM.

I think it would be ideal to be able to full-screen a VM and still slide out to my parent desktop. This should mirror the functionality of VMware Parallels on Mac.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Folders in Hyper-V Manager

I would love beeing able to create folders in Hyper-V manager, so that I can view my "Test Environment", my "VMs for Customer" or my "Show Direct Access" virtual maschines. I the moment I can only user appropriate names for my VMs.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Management tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. The ability to give a description for Hyper-V VMs

Currently the manager for the Hyper-V system only allows you to give a name for the virtual machine.

This may not always be descriptive and/or user friendly. Being able to give a description to Hyper-V virtual machines and have these optionally included with the import/export functions.

Would allow for useful information to be able to be included with the detailing about the software installed as well as other info.

In addition it would be useful for software distributors which provide their software as VMs.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Implement a HTML5 web management interface for Hyper-V as an optional install.

The Hyper-V equivalent of the new HTML5 web interface for ESXi

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Management tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. New integrated UI for Hyper-V

It's one of the most important area where you must working on. We need a new UI for Hyper-V, in particular a new UI with cluster management integrated and also with more functionality, like Performance View and PowerShell history.

358 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Management tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. REST API for hyper-v host managment and development

Provide REST API for hyper-v remote managment and development.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Domain-less Live Migration

It would be nice to have Live (Storage) Migration made independent of AD, and use for example certificate-based authentication between the hosts.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Live & quick migration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. All VM network cards have the same Friendly Name "Network Adapter"

Same as you do with IDE controller 0, 1,2 and other devices.

Network Adapters should have different Names like

Network Adapter 0
    Network Adapter 1
    etc..

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Guest capabilities  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Enable PowerShell Direct for Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2

PowerShell direct is fantastic feature. We would like to use it with down level guest OS as well (Win 8.1 / WS12R2).

The customers usually upgrade the host more frequently than upgrading the VM which is running the core business App.

Thanks!

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Management tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Hyper-V export virtual machine, add the option to exclude the disks from export!

Rebuilding hyper-v virtual machines on a different server could be done with export and import. Now the whole virtual machine gets exported including the disks. So you get a compleet copy this results in twice the disks space needed. but in case of remote attached storage it is not necessaire to export the disks also. So why not add the option to exclude the disks from the export. They will be attached to the new system from the shared storage device and you can add them later to the imported VM systems.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Support of VF & PF SR-IOV extensions with Discrete Device Assignment

Please include support for both Virtual Functions (VF) and Physical Functions (PF) of SR-IOV simultaneously.
    It would allow GPUs like the AMD S7150(x2) to be used in Hyper-V based VDI scenarios.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Hypervisor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Overall better performance/utilization views on the HYPER-V UI

Like VEEAM TaskManager for all VM guests (selectable)
    include IOPS on Storage,
    LAN Bandwidth utilization
    CPU and RAM utilization

with history diagrams

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Management tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Hot-add vCPU for VMs

Sometime we need to scale up VMs and want to avoid downtime in the process. Example: SQL Server VMWare has been able to do that for quite some time and is something we miss since we have migrated to Hyper-V.

120 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Guest capabilities  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base