Virtualization

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Incorporate building of host vNICs and configuration into Hyper-V GUI

Add functionality in Hyper-V GUI to create host vNICs and manage them rather than requiring Powershell.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Networking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Compressed export

compress files when export vms.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Import-VM should take a look also into the root folder for VHDs

During import process, Import-VM script looks into "Virtual Hard Disks" folder for VHDs. But when you create VM with SC VMM, it puts disks into the root of VM folder. So during recovery VHDs needs to be moved into Virtual Hard Disks folder manually. It would be great if import-vm would look also into the root of VM folder.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Management tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. In Hyper-V Configuration 8.3. When using the Ubuntu 18.04.1 Quick Create install, there needs to be an option to specify HDD size!

I ran out of disk space on my Ubuntu setup because Hyper-V only provided it a 11GB storage.

You can go back and expand the hard disk, but this does not translate right over into Ubuntu because it will not automatically take up the allocated space.
    Now I have to track down the ISO to boot up in Hyper-V to see if I can manage the disk drive. This should all be native to Hyper-V.
    In fact the ISO of Ubuntu it downloads she stored so that it can accessed later for instance such as this where a LIVE iso…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. [BUG] Fix Ctrl-Alt-UpArrow keyboard shortcut in Virtual Machine Connection

The shortcut for vmconnect.exe which releases the capture of keyboard and mouse input is Ctrl-Alt-LeftArrow by default and is configurable to a few other key combinations as well. Regardless, of what is configured however, Ctrl-Alt-UpArrow appears to always trigger this functionality as well and it is not even one of the combinations available to be configured to in Hyper-V Settings.

This means this combination is unavailable in other client applications because vmconnect picks it up first.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  VMConnection & remoting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Virtual Machine Connection: please remember the last selected connection setting - without forcing us to save and lose the connection dlg

Good evening

If we use Virtual Machine Connection it's really very annoying that the connection dialog does not remember the last selected Display Resolution.

We know that we can save them - but then, we no longer get the connection dialog, which is even worse because we often change other settings, but not the Display Resolution.

Therefore:
    please remember the last used settings of a Virtual Machine Connection without forcing your customers to use the "Save my settings" checkbox and completely losing the useful connection dialog.

The Microsoft "Usability" is really a pain for professional customers which still use Keyboards…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  VMConnection & remoting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Match physical network list in virtual switch manager

In the Hyper-V virtual switch manager, when you go to create a virtual switch, the list of physical network adapters in the machine do not match the names of the physical network adapters in the server control panel network connections list.

This makes finding the matching physical network adapter that is mapped to the virtual switch a trial and error process.

It would be nice if you could either rename the virtual switch physical network adapter names in the dropdown list OR just have the virtual switch manager actually use the name the control panel uses for the physical network…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. migrate between clusters

Currently the live migration of a VM from one cluster to another requires several manual steps: remove the role from the first cluster, switch to hyper-v manager, initiate a shared-nothing migration to one of the nodes of the destination cluster, wait, connect to the destination node, add the VM role in to the destination cluster.
    If would be ideal to just be able to select a Migrate to Another Cluster option at the start, make the required choices and then just leave Failover Cluster Managers on the source and destination clusters to sort out the rest. This would also eliminate…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Live & quick migration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. NAT IPv6

It would be nice to allow devices behind the NAT to access ipv6 resources as well externally. Right now this is not possible and as such the default switch for example, sends traffic out only if something is reachable via IPv4.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Provide a tool to downgrade configuration versions.

I am running into the issue of Windows 10 having Config 8.2 and my Server 2016 Config 8.0. Running Windows Updates so far has not yielded the needed 8.2

I often create my VMs on Windows 10, export and bring them up on Server. This is only going to get worst. Let's fix it right away.

An option could be offered also to export to specific version, of course a warning that capabilities will be lost. Only makes sense.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Windows Snap does not work with Hyper-V connections

If you try to use Windows Snap the RDP session of a Hyper-V guest will minimize down to 3 icons.
    I recently bought a monitor with 21:9 thought I could snap 2 Hyper-V guest connections opened from Hyper-V MMC and use Windows Snap to put them side by side and scale.

Nope! This is pretty bad design.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Virtual Machine Connection: Broken: Toggle Fullscreen by Ctrl-Alt-Break

This annoying bug happens on the Hyper-V Manager 10.0.16299.15

Good evening

If we double click a VM in the Hyper-V Manager to connect the to the VM Remote Desktop using the Virtual Machine Connection,
    then Ctrl-Alt-Break can no longer used to toggle the Fullscreen Mode: The Fullscreen mode is buggy.

It's a shame that M$ does not test basic functions before Customers are forced to use new releases. Maybe you could google for well known best practices to automatically test Software. it's really useful.

Kind regards,
    Thomas

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Hyper-V CimSession Caching Bug

The Server 2016 Hyper-V module caches CimSessions, presumably to make queries for related entities faster. The problem is that it also caches explicitly provided CimSessions that it does not own the lifetime of. So, if you ever use a CimSession with a Hyper-V cmdlet, then close that session, Hyper-V will try to use that disposed CimSession for any future interaction with the host in question. This is wrong, you can't cache objects with a lifetime you don't control without at least handling the case when that lifetime has been ended by the actual owner of the object.

Repro:
    $someHyperVServer =…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add support for shared folders between VM and Host like in virtualbox

Access host folders from guest and vice versa withount sharing them on the network, so there is less attack surface.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Guest capabilities  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add-VMGroupMember does not work

Add-VMGroupMember does not seem to work as described in https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/powershell/windows/hyper-v/add-vmgroupmember
    Just do
    $vm = Get-VM -Name "ABC"
    Add-VMGroupMember -Name "XYZ" -VM $vm

Add-VMGroupMember : The operation failed.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Add-VMGroupMember -Name "CrmDBClu" -VM $vm -Verbose
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Add-VMGroupMember], Virtualizatio 

nException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidParameter,Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.Commands.A 

ddVMGroupMember

PowerShell version: 5.1.14393.1480
    Windows Server 2016

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Fix virtual TPM in Linux guests

I run CentOS 7 and RHEL 7 virtual machines on a Hyper-V Server 2016.

Virtual TPMs in the VMs somehow worked, at least as entropy sources, before June 2017 Patch Tuesday. After I've applied the latest cumulative patch every TPM got broken on the next VM restart.

The bug is a regression between 14393.1230 and 14393.1358.
    (I've downgraded and everything seems fine now.)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Establish at least feature parity with the latest VMware vSphere, including web host/cluster management

That includes ease of use, like the (distributed) vSwitch implementation VMware has.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. vmrs

give option to disable VMRS file in expense to lose quick migration. in summary: i do not want allocate disk for the memory i allocate to guest VM.
    Please update the docs to mention the need for extra space for VMRS files.
    for details: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/34fb9792-6ae4-474c-a153-3ac825645fe7/vmrs-files?forum=winserverhyperv

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Hypervisor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. no .indexof in

Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.VMSwitch is missing IndexOf method, which makes it tricky to get an index number.

You'll have to pass it to a Customobject, and deserialize the information, if you wanna have any chance of using this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Mistake on Japan "Resume-VMReplication" website

Hi You have a mistake on the bottom of the "Resume-VMReplication" website(japan version). The last example for resuming replication for all the VMs are wrong. It should be "resume-VMreplication " instead of "Resume-Replication "

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base