Virtualization

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Copy-VMFile -FileSource

For copying files from the VM over VMBus the Copy-VMFile CmdLet should have also CopyFileSourceType 'Client' for the Parameter -FileSource.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Management tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Folder organisation in Failover Cluster Manager and Hyper V. As seen in VM Ware.

I would like to see the ability so that we can create folders insdie of Failover Cluster Manger, or Hyper V. This will help to enable us to organise our VMs accorinding to specific roles. We have around 300 VMs, and it's extremely difficult to differentiate between them all.

VM Workstation has this feature, and it makes admiinistration so much easier. I think the ability to create named folders to hold your VMs is well overdue.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Management tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. basic web base manage tool for small deployment

some basic web base manage tool. must not need system center and should work without a active directory

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Management tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Search VM in Hyper-V Manager

Suppose you have 100s of VM in multiple Hyper-V servers and all are attached to the same manager. searching of a perticular VM to connect to becomes cumbersome and a search option should be given

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Live Storage Migration of Shared VHDX

We make heavy use of live storage migrations in order to move data between different storage devices for upgrades, maintenance, additional space, performance, etc.

We want to use clustered VMs to improve HA for our most critical systems, but requiring downtime on the system in order to move the data volume limits what systems we can use this with.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Live & quick migration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Provide an AzMan replacement

We've lost the ability for granular control of our Hyper-V hosts when AzMan was deprecated. While the Hyper-V Administrators role provides access, it does so too broadly. Giving access to the entire host is not desired.
    Using VMM can't be the only answer esp. since Enhanced Session Mode is not available.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Ask confirmation on consequence of action, not on the action it self.

In hyperv manager, I can choose a action, and I will be asked for confirmation of the action, eg. delete or apply checkpoint. I want to be asked confirmation on the consequence, eg, delete:" The server "xxxx" will keep on running, no data will be lost. After the deletion, the server cannot return to this checkpoint. Delete checkpoint?", instead something like "Realy delete?". If I am sure, I will NOT read the text anyway, but as a (uncertain) beginner sysop, I DO want to know what I am to be causing.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Parent Partition Memory Maximum

It would be nice to set a maximum amount of memory that the Parent Partition can consume. If I have a host with 128GB of RAM I would like for example to say that the parent can use a maximum of 4 GB and the remaining amount is guaranteed to be available for VMs. It makes for the configuration of a total amount of static memory that can be assigned to VMs much simpler.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Memory  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Unifing creation of folders

1. Create VM from VMM create different folder view, than Create from Cluster or Hyper-V

2. When create VM from Hyper-V or Cluster you only specify path for VM without VMname
      When you move VM to different server you have to specify path with VMName - please let's be more consistent

3. Moving VM Storage from Cluster require Drag-n-Drop files - it should work the same like on moving directly on Hyper-V

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Shared VHDX sector size mistmach

Right now if you create a shared VHDX and there's a mismatch between the physical/logical sector size between the physical volume and the VHDX, Hyper-V lets you mount the VHDX but the initialization of the disk fails in the guest with a generic IO error. It would be nice to have some sort of validation done by Hyper-V or that it would support the various sector size for shared VHDX no matter what.

See the following article:

http://martinhannemann.com/shared-vhdx-on-storage-spaces/

One of our goal was to convert an existing file server VM into a guest cluster but because of this we either…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Increase checkpoint AVHDX blocksize

Now, block size of AVHDX made by checkpoint is 2MB. Less than 8MB could not perform Slab Consolidation from guest.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Incorporate building of host vNICs and configuration into Hyper-V GUI

Add functionality in Hyper-V GUI to create host vNICs and manage them rather than requiring Powershell.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Networking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. vSwitch default minimumbandwidthmode should be weight

When vSwitch is created from Hyper-V console or Posh, minimumbandwidthmode is absolute.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Networking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  VMConnection & remoting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 3 4 5 7 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base