Storage

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Grant-DFSNAccess requires GUI/cmd intervention to work

As detailed in this KB article from March 2014 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2938148) the Grant-DFSNAccess cmdlet requires use of the GUI to work, or there is a workaround of using the old dfsutil command instead.

Is it possible to have this fixed so that we can use native PowerShell to configure the DFS environment?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  File Systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. The storage pool does not have sufficient eligible resources for the creation of the specified virtual disk

I have a 3 node cluster setup and validated for Storage Spaces Direct. Each node has two 1TB SSDs and two 4TB HDDs (total 6 of each) all of which are cleaned of partitions and data (running on Dell HBA330s). All nodes have the required networking in places, are joined in a cluster and are running Server 2016 TP5 with the latest updates. Running cluster validation for Storage Spaces direct comes back with only the warning about 3 node cluster vs 4 (I only want mirrors, so 3 should work).

The problem is no matter what I do I cannot…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Storage Spaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Publish Work Folders Client API

Work Folders would probably get a lot more traction if you published the client API and allow third party developers and MDM tools to do direct integration.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Work Folders  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Storage spaces direct with Nano Server unable to Extend Volume

With storage spaces direct using Nano Server, I have added additional nodes to the SoFS cluster. This has allowed me to grow the storage pool and the virtual disk. However the volume still reports its original size and it cannot be extended. In WS2012R2 you would have done this with tools like DiskPart or disk Management neither of these work with Nano

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Storage Spaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. BUG - Renaming a Folder Causes NTFS Permisions to reset

I just renamed a top level directory on 5 of our file servers. There is 40TB of data across all these servers. Renaming each folder took an abnormally long time, but eventually finished. Come to find out, Windows reset the NTFS permissions on the folder. I did this same operation on two 2008r2 servers and it worked just fine. Windows should not being changing permissions on a simple folder rename

More Details can be found on this Technet post.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4147d167-86d8-4e77-b470-86b5af34f6a4/2012r2-renaming-a-folder-causes-ntfs-permisions-to-reset?forum=winserverfiles

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Chkdsk /Scan Has a Bug

The traditional read only chkdsk is finding errors and then recommends running the new chkdsk /scan function. When I run the new /scan function it says there is no problems. Which is it? Details can be found on this Technet post.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/4f41c221-960f-4f6b-9568-28b22c1740ba/chkdsk-scan-has-a-bug?forum=winserverfiles&prof=required

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. work

Please enable support for ReFS Work Folders, not limiting options only to NTFS.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. cache

We would appreciate it if Microsoft supports one NVMe only for caching in Windows Server 2016 RTM. A node failure would be accepted if one NVMe fails, because the cost of an enterprise NVMe is very high.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Storage Spaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Storage Replica transitive replication

SR should support A --> B --> C replication, where A is source, B is synchronous copy of A, and C is asynchronous copy of B. All for the same volume.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Storage Replica  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Storage Replica one-to-many replication

SR should support replicating to multiple destinations , such as A to B, C, and D. All with the same volume.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Storage Replica  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Bring Placeholder and Online Folders

Bring more features to be like OneDrive but on premise. :-)

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Work Folders Group Policy

Work Folders has the scheduled task Task Scheduler Library\Microsoft\Windows\Work Folders\Work Folders Maintenance Work. I need to set this task to run hourly via task scheduler for all users. I was looking for a way to do this via group policy. I know there is a tasks option under GP preferences, but I can not find a way to incorporate this built in task to the GPO. It would be nice to have an admx template or something to be able to push a setting to all computers to run this task on a set schedule instead of just on logon.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. How about we implement Disk Quotas, not just on individual user accounts but Security Groups within Active directory

Within the File Server Resource Manager, we should be able to implement a quota on a file path for a Security Group of Users instead of Individual users,

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  FSRM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. File Server Resource Manager

Hi

Looks like there is a bug in the File Server Resource Manager modules.

Windows 2012 R2 - fully patched march 2016

When creating a new FSRMFileScreenTemplate, it defaults to active instead of passive, and I can't change it to passive.
    Example:
    New-FsrmFileScreenTemplate -name test -IncludeGroup test -Notification test
    This results in an active template. The command has an -active switch - which cannot be set to $false, but no -passive switch.
    Setting the property afterwards to $false doesn't change it in the GUI - it is still active.

Had to use the old filescrn.exe utility to set the template…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General Use File Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. SURVEY:

Interested in understanding your future plans for block replication both to and from Azure, using Storage Replica (or others): Very short survey with option to leave comments or be contacted further:

https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0U6b2tbhVmaImnX

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Storage Replica  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Get volume type to differentiate which is local disk, clustered disk, or network share,etc.

From Windows Explorer, besides every volume letters, we have the volume (network location) Type: Local Disk / CD Drive / Clustered Disk / Network Drive. Would like to have a simple powershell command get it.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Work Folders Hardening

Currently Work Folders allows us to Encrypt data on the client device. This is a nice feature, the data within the Work Folder on the client device is encrypted. However, at any point in time, a user can Right Click their Work folder and "Remove Enterprise Control" at which point data is unencrypted. Also, at any point in time a user can open the properties of a file and choose to remove encryption. We do not want users to be able to remove encryption, if we chose to encrypt the contents of the work folders it should remain encrypted. This…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Remote Wipe Capabilities in Work Folders

The Remote Wipe feature is only supported with Intune. If all it does is revoke the key and not actually wipe any data, why do we need to purchase and deploy Intune MDM just to access this feature? Work Folders should include a revoke feature without needing Intune. We need way to revoke access to the data when a user reports their laptop or device is stolen. There are tons of sync utilities around that allow us to securely sync a client with server over WAN, but the reason we like Work Folders is because we do not need to…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Work Folders Client side awareness of Quota and FSRM

Currently if we enable quota for Work Folders the client side UI will still all available space on the server.
    It would be good if the client is aware of the quota and can display space available based on quota value and perhaps even UI warning/information based on space available.

If FSRM have file screening available and you add a file that is not allowed then you will only see a access denied when syncing.
    It would be good if the client could understand the settings and inform the user when file is added or at least better information from…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Work Folders  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Simple 2 Node cluster config

Let me paint this simple scenario: I have two servers, each with local disks attached to a RAID controller. Based on those servers I want to create a highly available, resiliant file server.
    The simple solution would be: Use either Storage Spaces Direct or Storage Replica. Unfortunately both options are not available right now.
    S2D fails a) because of the use of a RAID controller and b) because of the use of only 2 servers.
    Replica fails because I either have no automatic failover (server 2 server mode) or I don't have disks that support persistent reservation (which is required…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Storage Replica  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base