Storage

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Inline deduplication

We use deduplication on volumes used as VTL in System Center DPM and it would beneficial to have at least at deduplication pass done inline to minimize the storage requirement of the volume as the backup is first done undeduped first and then a lot of free space is recuperated once the deduplication job has run.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Deduplication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Scale out general purpose file server

I just watched the SMB Direct Ignite presentation on Channel 9. Really cool stuff. I would like to use the SMB Direct solution to build a general purpose scale out file server and not just to store VMs. With 2012 R2, Microsoft did not recommend the scale out file server solution using a shared SAS fabric as a general purpose file server because of the limitations with the Cluster File system. Now that ReFS is being used as the clustered file system, has this limitation been lifted? If so, have improvements been made to ReFS in Windows Server 2016 to…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  General Use File Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Storage Spaces - Make Slabs exposed in GUI/Posh Tool

It would be great to expose where slabs are physically located. It would be great to see where the data actually is (Write-Back cache, data slabs).
    This would be really useful to know where is the performance bottleneck, to investigate misconfigurations..
    Something like described here http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/05/virtualizing-storage-for-scale-resiliency-and-efficiency.aspx

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Storage Spaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make the alerting for failed disks in storage pools more noticeable

Currently, a failed disk shows up as a warning level alert in the StorageSpaces-Driver Operational event log.
    Can you please add an alert to the dashboard level of Server Manager to indicate that there is degraded storage that needs attention, or perhaps add an Action Center alert?
    I know that I can script a scan for that alert in the event log, and script a check for the health status with Get-PhysicalDisk, Get-VirtualDisk and Get-StoragePool.
    It would be nice if the default was for Windows to be a little more outgoing about letting us know there was a problem, just…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. (Microsoft Suggested Idea) Storage Replica simulated failover

Is the ability to simulate failover with Storage Replica important to you? In other words, the ability to temporarily create a writable copy of the destination volume - without actually performing a direction switch - and access data on that volume. When done testing, you would then discard the temporary volume. During testing, the real source and destination volumes continue to replicate.

Keep in mind that this feature may prevent other SR capabilities from being made, due to resourcing. Naturally, if you have other features you want in SR that are more important to you, do not vote yes for…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Storage Replica  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Storage Commandlets Broken Under WinPE - First Reported 05/31/2013

Bug Age: >5 Years
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/3a0e7e9c-f1ea-4324-8a17-f4c447efcbb0/some-storage-cmdlets-do-not-work-under-winpe?forum=winserverpowershell

Also mentioned as a known problem in the talk OS Deployments using WinPE + PowerShell and WindowsImageTools panel by David Jones at the 2018 Global DevOps and PowerShell Summit

Reported by me on the PowerShell GitHub in 08/01/2019 at which subsequent to which I was directed to report this here.
    https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell/issues/7429

Steps to reproduce

Follow this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpe-adding-powershell-support-to-windows-pe

Attempt to use:

Clear-Disk

or

Format-Volume

Expected behavior

Clears and or formats the disk in question

Actual behavior

Unspecified Error 0x80004005

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Boot from SMB

Booting from non-local storage provides a method to quickly replace a failed server without the need to rebuild the operating system. This practice is common where a SAN is available in order to boot from FCoE, FC, or iSCSI. Would like to see the same capability using SMB.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SMB  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Work Folders for Terminal Servcers (Citrix)

Our users really love their Work Folders, but they would also like to have access when working from Citrix Desktop.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Work Folders  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Remote Wipe Capabilities in Work Folders

The Remote Wipe feature is only supported with Intune. If all it does is revoke the key and not actually wipe any data, why do we need to purchase and deploy Intune MDM just to access this feature? Work Folders should include a revoke feature without needing Intune. We need way to revoke access to the data when a user reports their laptop or device is stolen. There are tons of sync utilities around that allow us to securely sync a client with server over WAN, but the reason we like Work Folders is because we do not need to…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Work Folders  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Introduce Universal app support for Work Folders [Separated Idea]

Add Work Folders universal app for Windows desktop/phone.

MSFT NOTE: This idea was separated from http://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295056-storage/suggestions/8003814-improve-work-folders, which originally contained multiple ideas. Please always supply only one idea in a given posting, so that your supporters and Microsoft can evaluate them easily as single units.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Work Folders  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ship RAM Disk with Windows Server

I would like Windows Server 2016 to ship with an option to install a RAM Drive that can be configured to load as a device driver upon operating system boot.

This could be used for a variety of reasons, but my primary case is for optimizing SQL Server workloads. (I might that I use a RAM disk with my Windows 8.1 computer for the TEMP and IE TEMP directories, which is a great way of clearing out cookies, malware, etc as I just reboot the computer)

Use / Business case:
    In earlier versions of SQL Server you were able to…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. File tiering statistics

In 2012 R2, tiering statistics in Storage Spaces are only provided when the file is pinned to a specific tier. It would be beneficial to know how much of a file is on each tier when it's managed automatically.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Storage Replica standard

Storage Replica limitation is very tight in Standard Edition - this should be increased. 2TB is very little in any single node, especially as price/tb continues to fall rapidly, having a limit tied to TB's is like putting an expiry date on its usefulness. Perhaps limiting to number of nodes will be more effictive limitation ie, 2 or 3 nodes?

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Storage Replica  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Enable CSV read cache in combination with Tiering

CSV read cache is a cool feature, unfortunately it can't be used in combination with Tiering. Would be great to enhance a tiered space with the speed of a memory cache as well.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Cluster Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Option to change disks from clustered storage subsystem to local storage subsystem.

Have configured standalone SQL servers with AlwaysOn Availability groups configured for HA. Now when adding two local disks to each server the disks are linked to the clustered storage subsystem not the local one which means I am unable to create a storage pool in Server manager as it states that a minimum if 3 are required to create a cluster storage pool. However I only want to create a local one - not a clustered pool.

Can you please provide a way to either disable the clustered storage subsystem (not need in this config as only a standalone SQL…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. new-smbmapping: finally fix the bug so that Windows Explorer recognizes the new drives without kill & restart

Good evening

Since years(!), it's well known that if we map SMB Shares using the New-SmbMapping command,
    then the Windows Explorer does not recognize the new Drives: we have to kill and restart explorer.exe.
    Well, we can be happy that we do not have to reboot...

We can not believe that this bug was never fixed and that we have to raise our user voice to solicitation so that such annoying bugs get finally fixed.

Of course, we could use the New-PSDrive command.
    Unfortunately, this command is even worse: it does not validate if the credentials are valid nor if…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  SMB  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. BUG - Renaming a Folder Causes NTFS Permisions to reset

I just renamed a top level directory on 5 of our file servers. There is 40TB of data across all these servers. Renaming each folder took an abnormally long time, but eventually finished. Come to find out, Windows reset the NTFS permissions on the folder. I did this same operation on two 2008r2 servers and it worked just fine. Windows should not being changing permissions on a simple folder rename

More Details can be found on this Technet post.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4147d167-86d8-4e77-b470-86b5af34f6a4/2012r2-renaming-a-folder-causes-ntfs-permisions-to-reset?forum=winserverfiles

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Console to monitor user with failed sync

Console to monitor user with failed sync.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Work Folders  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow online geometry change and pool mobility in Storage Spaces.

I want to be able to move a virtual disk from one pool to another. The same functionality should be capable of changing the underlying geometry. I.e. - 4 col 2 copy --> 8 col 3 copy or parity to mirror. The virtual disk should float above the pools and be portable.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Storage Spaces allow option for volatile cache (aka consumer SSDs)

Currently SS requires an SSD with PLP (power-loss-protection) as per this article: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2016/11/18/dont-do-it-consumer-ssd/

Please give us an option when creating an SSD caching tier for SS to use the SSD cache (meaning NOT write-through/disable the cache).
    So that cheap consumer SSDs (without PLP) can be actually used, while keeping the SSD performance.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base