Storage

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow Persistent NFS Mounts in NFS Client

Allow for Persistent Mounts at the OS level for the NFS Client instead of making the mount like a mapped drive that is done in user context.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  File Systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Uncap the write back cache

Its been a few months since I came across this so hopefully my memory isn't failing me as I just found these forums.
    The idea is simple, let us decide how big we'd like the write back cache to be. To the best of my knowledge, it maxes out at 100GB right now...uncap it!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Storage Spaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. VSS Minimum Hold Time

VSS helps to go back to an earlier version but only within the range of the available spae for a VSS Copy. So if there are many many changes on the storage, we cannot use "previous Version" for a long time. A friend of mine was hit by one of these nasty encryption trojans. So i'l like to configure a Minimum amount of time to not overwrite VSS-Information to recover from that.
    I know that this means "more room" for VSS-Data or setting a Disk to "ReadONly" to protect that. So it should be configurable by partition. But this could…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add work folders cmdlet Get-WorkFolderStatus

Add a cmdlet in powershell to let administrators peek into the status of work folders for current user or all users on this computer.

Today i have to look at file attributes and the exitcode in the registry.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Work Folders  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Improve visual feedback during sync

When a user has almost 300 000 files in its Work Folder it seems that the control panel applet does not update as it should. The general feeling is that the computer is busy with going through the filelist rather than informing the user about what its busy doing. This leads to frustration from the enduser and an incertainty about the current syncstate.

We are currently using Windows 10 1803 Edu 64-bit on our clients, is this better in newer versions?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. ErrorCode: 40961

My issue is transfering files with long path names or where I have access denied in the Storage Migration Service.

Error "Couldn't transfer storage on any of the endpoints" and "Check if the source device is online - we couldn't access it."
    Transfer validation failed. ErrorCode: 40961
    As to this URL:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/storage-migration-service/known-issues#error-couldnt-transfer-storage-on-any-of-the-endpoints-and-check-if-the-source-device-is-online---we-couldnt-access-it

But if I use Robocopy I can copy these files with long path names or if I get access denied.

May we have the same possibilities?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Storage Migration Service Support for Samba, NAS, SAN destination

Support for Samba, NAS, SAN DESTINATION! Can't believe this is not one of THE biggest feature requests. We have so many times where we may be, wait for it... migrating AWAY from Windows Servers onto NAS devices. We still use and migrate to Windows Server 2016 and 2019, but we also have need to do the same migrations TO destinations that are NAS devices.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add "Select All Shares" and "Deselect All Shares" to Storage Migration Services

When selecting shares to transfer within Storage Migration Service's Transfer Data section, all shares are selected by default. We have 435 shares and would like to transfer just one.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. PowerShell Get-StorageJob alias gsj

Create a new PowerShell alias GSJ for Get-StorageJob

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Storage Spaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow Exceptions for Work Folders by File Type

We redirect "Documents" and other well-known folders to Work Folders. Some applications write files to the Documents or other synched paths and this prevents them being able to synch. For example, many Add-in Express apps write their log files to a subfolder of Documents, and the iTunes library file writes to a subfolder of music. Both of these are examples of files that are constantly open for writing and thus cannot be synched.

I'd like to be able to exclude some file types from Work Folders synch, and I'd like to be able to exclude some sub-folders based on name.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Windows Storage Migration Service Errors with Couldn't transfer storage on any of the endpoints.

Windows Storage Migration Service Errors with Couldn't transfer storage on any of the endpoints.

Has anyone run into this and what was the fix?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Storage Spaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Get-SRGroup function not working remotely from 2016 to inspect 2019

Running the Get-SRGroup command from a 2016 server returns null results when to remotely get the ReplicationStatus from a 2019 server which hosts the SRgroup/SRpartnetship on it. Other commands such as Get-SRPartnership command from the same StorageReplica module do work from 2016 -> 2019 to get other details.

Seems like a bug that the function Get-SRGroup results are always empty. This was reproduced a few times in different deployments.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Storage Replica  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Fix bug in Windows Server 2016 Server Backup (status -> all backups -> view details)

When you open table with details of all backups and sort it on date there is bug that sort date field as string instead as date (1.1. 11.3. 12.1 instead 1.1. 12.1 11.3) (Even Windows Server 2008 R2 had it correct).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Backup/Restore  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Enable support to remove work folder content from powershell

There are no Life cycle management for work folders, would be nice if there were a powershell cmdlet that would remove both metadata and documents for certain users.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 100% fragmentation on 99% empty drive

In my SQL server I got 6 drives:
    c: local drive
    D: Data
    L: Log
    S: system databases
    T:Temp database
    B: backups
    and recently I started to get a warning from scom about 100% logical fragmentation on disk L and disk T but they are both 10 GB space but only 100MB in use...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Cannot open AIP protected file on WorkFolders App on iOS

Any MS Office file such as Word, if protected using Azure Information Protection, does not open in WorkFolders iOS App. WorkFolders simply throw error "Cannot open this file. Try opening this file in another app".

Seems like WorkFolders iOS App does not support Azure Information Protection and hence do not hand over the protected word file to Microsoft Word Application on iOS platform.

This same feature works fine on Android platform.
    Ideally WorkFolders iOS App should invoke MS Word App and open the .docx files (regardless protected or non-protected).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Dedup dedicated or reserved file space

Dedup should reserve the space needed to successfully run its jobs on the disk so that the disk is never 'too full' to dedup. It would be great if this functioned kind of like page files where an admin could even direct the 'reserved' space to a different dedicated volume.

Dedup requires a certain amount of 'free' disk space to run. When using dedup on user-facing file shares it never fails that some users will suddenly drop a huge number of files on to the share and then dedup will fail all its jobs due to a lack of free…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deduplication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow admins to adjust the 'minimum copies' of data allowed before write access is removed

With a 3 Way mirror storage spaces will continue to allow writes as long as 1 copy of the data is available. In some instances this can cause the data to become corrupt and unrecoverable because of unexpected hardware behavior. It would be great to allow for an admin to choose 'more data safety' over 'more up time' by changing this to a minimum of 2 copies of data to allow read/write and dropping to read-only when only 1 copy is available.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. An option to use dotted domains with NPS

The only thing keeping that clunky old 2008 server in my shiny new 2016 environment is I have a dot in my NetBIOS domain name and I use NPS for wireless machine authentication in RADIUS. Before you make fun of me, I inherited this domain and we have looked at all the various domain rename options and they are terrible. It would be great if there was some way to tell a new version of NPS to not use the dot as a separator.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base