Storage

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ZFS on Windows Server

After doing an exhaustive series of benchmarks I came to the conclusion that Storage Spaces parity schemes are practically useless. Even with 24 SSDs they provide negligible performance that makes them an unworthy alternative even for archiving purposes. You can see the numbers here:

http://bit.ly/1k6efkW

Therefore I suggest Microsoft to join the OpenZFS project and incorporate RAID-Z in a future release of Windows Server Storage Spaces. I know it sounds totally ridiculous at first, but after checking out the benchmarks I'm pretty sure you'll consider the numbers much more ridiculous.

In my humble opinion, this awesome feature would render Storage…

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Storage Spaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Storage Replica Requirement of Datacenter Edition

IMO it is pure daft to require that the file server is running DC edition, and it will restrict usage of this feature to a very limited few. Others will say "hey, the price of replication licensing from more mature solutions isn't much more" and that'll kill SR at birth. Great feature, silly licensing decision.

95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

18 comments  ·  Storage Replica  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback and passion from everyone here. For now, we have decided to ship this feature in Datacenter only. We will keep an open mind on this for the future, and will keep talking to all of you through various other channels. Nothing is ever set in stone, it’s software.

For more info on which features are Windows Server 2016 Datacenter-only, review the “Pricing and Licensing” section of:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/windows-server-2016/

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base