How can we improve the storage platform and management in Windows Server?

Support to shrink ReFS partition

45 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matej shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • GowaP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shrink, Extend, Move, Convert (command line accept FAT to NTFS but no NTFS to ReFS)
    GUI, PowerShell and DiskPART.

• Anthony Wall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another justification for this feature... Hyper-Converged Storage Spaces Direct disk pools need to stay below a recommended utilization percent in order to keep the cluster volumes within it online during an unplanned node or disk outage. It is quite easy to exceed this without being warned of the implications and without being able to shrink a volume no easy way to correct it. "Software Defined" is supposed to free us from such old fashioned hard limitations and planning complexities. Dynamically resized volumes would be the next level of course, but first just get the existing PowerShell Resize-StorageTier command supported in ReFS. Until then, please at warnings and a logical disk pool "fault tolerance limit" in all parts of the GUI where volumes can be resized. ;-)

• Stephen Barrett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been bitten by this today - VSS doesn't support Volumes over 64TB (Mine is 65TB) and ReFS doesn't support shrinking the volume.

Now I can't backup any of the VHDs residing on the volume

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for this, i wasted 2 days migrating my Windows Deployment VHDX curently hosted on NTFS deduplicated volume, which reduces its size from 600gb to 90gb.After copying data to fresh RESFS volume, and deduplicating it, host VHDX remained at 600gb size!!!And nothing i do would shrink it.

This is just horrific MS,

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This just blows my mind! How can you design a new file system, post NTFS, and not include support for dynamically adjusting the volumes?!

Feedback and Knowledge Base