How can we improve the storage platform and management in Windows Server?

Make Windows Search service work with Data Deduplication service

198 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sven Andersen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Евгений commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm shocked when I learned that the two main file server technologies are not compatible with each other.

• Jordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely must have! Dedupe would be amazing on a gpfs.....if you could still index or provide some sort of search functionality. Can't turn it on otherwise, or people would lose their minds! :(

• Rhys Donaubauer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 If you're going to have deduplication, why not enable search indexing? Yeah may be a pain to work around properly but in long-run may provide additional options in the future.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, one of the main reasons to have dedupe is to scale down storage requirements for Fileservers. However it doesn't do much good for your fileserver if the primary way your users access and find files is via search. This is currently a set of self defeating features.

There are dozens of posts about this issue, some go back to 2011. I personally have been researching this issue off and on, for 6 months (ever since we moved our network shares to Server 2012R2) and this is the first time I have seen anything about Data Dedup being the cause of the issue.
    Thank you to everyone except Microsoft.

+1
    did cost me some hours to find out why the search function is not working properly...

• Jesse Roscoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm rather amazed (who's kidding who? After all of these years, I'm no longer amazed by their shenanigans) that Microsoft either can't or is unwilling to make their own stuff compatible with their own stuff.

Hi Boss, I found a way to drastically reduce the size of our stored data on disk. Oh, but we can no longer efficiently search for files on it. And also, if we use Robocopy, we'll probably corrupt the disk. But other than that...

• Eric Wendel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows Dedupe is the best implementation on the market. Post process is far superior to inline implementations. Who wants to burn CPU cycles on dedupe when workloads are busiest? Variable chunk sizes increase efficiency by at least 15% over everything else I've tested.

That said, I really DO need to have a means of searching for files (at least by filenames if not by indexed content) such that the search results include the RPs.

Please add this feature!

• Brian Valentine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows at it again. Adding a very useful and much requested feature. Which will not work with other useful and required features. What is the point of saving a large ammount of disk space when you are unable to index that large ammount of files and data?

• Andrew Almond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's laughable that a core function for file servers doesn't work properly. Right now our choices are either save 50% on disk space, or index our files and have them search quickly.

Feedback and Knowledge Base