Storage

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Storage Replica across domains or to non-domain joined hosts

It would be great if we could expand storage replica so that it works across domains or from a domain joined PC to a non domain joined PC.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Cannot open AIP protected file on WorkFolders App on iOS

Any MS Office file such as Word, if protected using Azure Information Protection, does not open in WorkFolders iOS App. WorkFolders simply throw error "Cannot open this file. Try opening this file in another app".

Seems like WorkFolders iOS App does not support Azure Information Protection and hence do not hand over the protected word file to Microsoft Word Application on iOS platform.

This same feature works fine on Android platform.
    Ideally WorkFolders iOS App should invoke MS Word App and open the .docx files (regardless protected or non-protected).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Work Folders  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Can Windows Storage Server Migration Cutover feature move a Domain Controller?

The New Windows Storage Server Migration Service has a Cutover feature. It will move the network name and address of the old server to the new server. Can this also move a server that is a Domain Controller?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Dedup dedicated or reserved file space

Dedup should reserve the space needed to successfully run its jobs on the disk so that the disk is never 'too full' to dedup. It would be great if this functioned kind of like page files where an admin could even direct the 'reserved' space to a different dedicated volume.

Dedup requires a certain amount of 'free' disk space to run. When using dedup on user-facing file shares it never fails that some users will suddenly drop a huge number of files on to the share and then dedup will fail all its jobs due to a lack of free…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deduplication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow admins to adjust the 'minimum copies' of data allowed before write access is removed

With a 3 Way mirror storage spaces will continue to allow writes as long as 1 copy of the data is available. In some instances this can cause the data to become corrupt and unrecoverable because of unexpected hardware behavior. It would be great to allow for an admin to choose 'more data safety' over 'more up time' by changing this to a minimum of 2 copies of data to allow read/write and dropping to read-only when only 1 copy is available.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. An option to use dotted domains with NPS

The only thing keeping that clunky old 2008 server in my shiny new 2016 environment is I have a dot in my NetBIOS domain name and I use NPS for wireless machine authentication in RADIUS. Before you make fun of me, I inherited this domain and we have looked at all the various domain rename options and they are terrible. It would be great if there was some way to tell a new version of NPS to not use the dot as a separator.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Storage Spaces Direct - Why the tiny capacity?

I don't understand why the new 2019 Storage Spaces Direct won't even support a single 90 bay JBOD loaded with 8TB drives.

I am currently testing the addition of that unit into our infrastructure using regular storage spaces. It runs fine. Dual Parity writes of 75 MB/sec are sad, but Mirror writes at 1,600 MB/sec are really nice. Everything seems to work fine.

I've looked at the Windows 2019 limits, and the storage spaces direct raw capacity per physical server is 400 TB. What drives this? I'm trying to sell the idea of turning a customer's 1.5 PB storage space…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Cluster Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. I have a few backup from over the years

I wonder if they would be any help to u all

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Backup/Restore  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Scale Out File Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. storage spaces is bugged Error 0x32 when creating a pool

Storage Spaces is bugged and will return error code 0x32 with GUI or Powershell

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12438/windows-10-storage-spaces

The issue is persistent and reproducible in following releases:
    Windows 10 pro:

1607, 1703,1709,1803

It does work in 1511!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Storage Spaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow Both Sides to Be Active Simultaneously

I'd love to get rid of DFSR, (even though the improvements are making it better to use - thanks Ned!) However we can't implement Storage Replica because so many of our scenarios require the data to be manipulated from both sides.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Storage Replica  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix Specify size of Virtual Disk bug

On the Specify the size of the virtual disk screen often if you select Maximum size it will fail due to a math / rounding error. The reported error is The storage pool does not have sufficient eligible resources for the creation of the specified virtual disk. However if you just shrink size by 1-2 GB it completes properly.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Storage Spaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Bring back LastSuccessfulSync

LastSuccessfulSync was removed from Windows 2016 version of Work Folders. This is used in reports to find clients that have fallen out of sync. Or provide an alternative way to monitor when clients quit syncing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Work Folders  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add Credential parameter to PowerShell DFSN cmdlets

It would be useful to have a Credential parameter on the DFSN cmdlets so a PSCredential object can be passed to run commands under a different user than the one that launched the PowerShell session.

Ideally, it should also properly handle [System.Management.Automation.PSCredential]::Empty

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DFSN  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. DFS Replication and Deduplication Integration

The deduplication feature makes Windows Server an attractive OS to use for a backup repository. There is just one issue...replication. One could use DFS Replication to replicate the backup files off-site. But, DFS-R rehydrates the files, and then uses it's own compression, to transmit them. This requires allocating space to DFS-R for staging. Plus, the DFS-R compression is likely not as efficient as deduplication.

It would be great if DFS-R could be configured to replicate the already deduplicated blocks. This would provide the most efficient trasmission while eliminating the need for separate staging for DFS-R (in this use case).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deduplication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Async/Callback APIs for drive/directory/file querying

Currently there are only blocking apis for querying the file system (enumerate list of files in a directory, get names etc)

This is problematic when disks are asleep, remote, slow etc

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. NVMe over Fabric "Target" server for Windows Server 2016

Hi all.

HPE (and other vendors like Tyan) are producing exciting pieces of kit like the DL385 G10 1-2 processor AMD servers that can stack 24 NVMe drives into themselves and ******** a whole lot of (5) network cards into their PCIe slots. Currently MS can use servers like this in it's S2D implementations but I'm wondering why they should limit themselves to homogenous environments like that when we can deploy them into Software Defined SANs as well?

Enter the NVMeoF "Target" server for Windows Server 2016 where you can deploy your server onto any of these target hardware platforms…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Cluster Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. VM Balance SiteAware And StrechedCluster

I think maybe VM Balance Should aware SiteAware and storage SiteAware
    if VM Balace can aware,the StrechedCluster can autoBalance in
    localsite
    if not can aware,can not use vm balance for StrechedCluster,because may balance will move an local vm to another site ,will make csv redirect

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Storage Replica  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Adapt Storage migration to support live conversion from VHD to VHDX on running VM.

Adapt Storage migration to support live conversion from VHD to VHDX on running VM and from dynamic to fixes and vice versa.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. will call an orange a banana

And go ape ****...stooly.bob

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)