Storage

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable Work Folders to allow user share the document with others

Today, Work Folders support only individual user access of their document. It will be helpful to allow the users to share their documents with others.

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Work Folders  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support Reallocation of VHDs on Storage Spaces

The struggle is real, my friends. When you have a storage space with 4 disks and create a new virtual disk with parity over all those 4 physical disks, the data is spread out as you'd expect. But if you run low on space and you add another disk, the data already on the vhd cant benefit from the new disk. You have to create a new virtual disk and copy the data from the old to the new one. The problem is described here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2013/12/18/cannot-extend-simple-virtual-disk-in-windows-server-2012-r2.aspx

So please let us edit a virutal disk and add more physical disk the…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Storage Spaces  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Separate Front-End to Back-End

In this moment the role is in the same server and this is not "awesome" for security, in particular when the work folders use the same production file server.

another scenario is when there's only one Public IP.

The feedback is have two roles: front-end and back-end to separate publishing from sourcing.

S

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Work Folders  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow Persistent NFS Mounts in NFS Client

Allow for Persistent Mounts at the OS level for the NFS Client instead of making the mount like a mapped drive that is done in user context.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Systems  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Change counter av disk sec/transfer unit to millisec

currently this counter is in second. could tou change it to millisec ??

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Better management integration for Work Folders and FSRM

Today, FSRM and Work Folders management are through different app: Server manager, MMC. It will be good to have one management UI.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow online geometry change and pool mobility in Storage Spaces.

I want to be able to move a virtual disk from one pool to another. The same functionality should be capable of changing the underlying geometry. I.e. - 4 col 2 copy --> 8 col 3 copy or parity to mirror. The virtual disk should float above the pools and be portable.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Uncap the write back cache

Its been a few months since I came across this so hopefully my memory isn't failing me as I just found these forums.
    The idea is simple, let us decide how big we'd like the write back cache to be. To the best of my knowledge, it maxes out at 100GB right now...uncap it!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add selective sync in Work Folders [Separated Idea]

Today, Work Folders client will sync the entire dataset on the client. Some devices don't have too much storage space. A selective sync feature for Windows platform (equal to the one on iOS) would be great, which only downloads the namespaces, and download data when user selects it.

MSFT NOTE: This idea was separated from http://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295056-storage/suggestions/8306178-improve-work-folders-feature, which originally contained multiple ideas. Please always supply only one idea in a given posting, so that your supporters and Microsoft can evaluate them easily as single units.

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Work Folders  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add Support for Storage Spaces in virtual environment and as iSCSI target

Recently I looked at using an iSCSI target VHDX on a storage space volume in a hosted environment where I don’t have access to Hyper-V, so can’t create a dedup VHDX that the hypervisor uses.

The reasons I did this was three-fold.
    1. I could create a VHDX using an iSCSI target to a Windows Server running Storage Spaces – hence a VHDX file on a Windows volume that I could dedup.
    2. I now had a dynamic disk so for a space hungry application like DPM that requires overallocation for replica and recovery point volumes, I could create a…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Enable high speed backup, e.g. via NDMP, for large Windows fileservers

File-level backup is a big pain-point for large Windows fileserver (5-20TB). Whenever we have a need to provide a fileserver > 10TB, we switch to NetApp - only backup of the backup issue.

It would be a big help if Windows Server would provide a blocklevel / highspeed / NDMP like interface to backup huge amounts in a decent time.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Ability to view/access Work Folders files on the server through web browser [Separated Idea]

Possibility to view / download "Read only" files from web browser on any computer without establishing a Work Folders partnership that downloads the files to the computer. This would also be great for non-domain joined Windows 7 computers.

MSFT NOTE: This idea was separated from http://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295056-storage/suggestions/8306178-improve-work-folders-feature, which originally contained multiple ideas. Please always supply only one idea in a given posting, so that your supporters and Microsoft can evaluate them easily as single units.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Introduce Universal app support for Work Folders [Separated Idea]

Add Work Folders universal app for Windows desktop/phone.

MSFT NOTE: This idea was separated from http://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295056-storage/suggestions/8003814-improve-work-folders, which originally contained multiple ideas. Please always supply only one idea in a given posting, so that your supporters and Microsoft can evaluate them easily as single units.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add Work Folders support for Linux [Separated Idea]

Add Work Folders support for Linux

MSFT NOTE: This idea was separated from http://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295056-storage/suggestions/8212707-work-folder-support-for-android-os-x-linux, which originally contained multiple ideas. Please always supply only one idea in a given posting, so that your supporters and Microsoft can evaluate them easily as single units.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Include StorSimple functionality as a role on Windows Server

Since StorSimple is just a bunch of disks with a great software layer on top of, include that software layer as a role in Windows Server so we can use any server for the same functionality.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  StorSimple  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make the alerting for failed disks in storage pools more noticeable

Currently, a failed disk shows up as a warning level alert in the StorageSpaces-Driver Operational event log.
    Can you please add an alert to the dashboard level of Server Manager to indicate that there is degraded storage that needs attention, or perhaps add an Action Center alert?
    I know that I can script a scan for that alert in the event log, and script a check for the health status with Get-PhysicalDisk, Get-VirtualDisk and Get-StoragePool.
    It would be nice if the default was for Windows to be a little more outgoing about letting us know there was a problem, just…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General Use File Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. VSS Minimum Hold Time

VSS helps to go back to an earlier version but only within the range of the available spae for a VSS Copy. So if there are many many changes on the storage, we cannot use "previous Version" for a long time. A friend of mine was hit by one of these nasty encryption trojans. So i'l like to configure a Minimum amount of time to not overwrite VSS-Information to recover from that.
    I know that this means "more room" for VSS-Data or setting a Disk to "ReadONly" to protect that. So it should be configurable by partition. But this could…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Improve the Storage GUI

Right now, the Storage GUI does not have the same functionality as the Storage PowerShell cmdlets.
    Especially when doing advanced things with write cache.
    Can you please improve the GUI to have the same capabilities as the cmdlets?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base