Storage

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add shared VHD support to client OS

It is just one filter driver needed in the stack that will enable shared VHD (svhdxflt.sys). This feature would really help IT Pros to play with scenarios, where shared VHD is needed (Storage Replica scenarios, SAN simulations etc.)

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Cluster Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Storage Spaces Direct - Why the tiny capacity?

I don't understand why the new 2019 Storage Spaces Direct won't even support a single 90 bay JBOD loaded with 8TB drives.

I am currently testing the addition of that unit into our infrastructure using regular storage spaces. It runs fine. Dual Parity writes of 75 MB/sec are sad, but Mirror writes at 1,600 MB/sec are really nice. Everything seems to work fine.

I've looked at the Windows 2019 limits, and the storage spaces direct raw capacity per physical server is 400 TB. What drives this? I'm trying to sell the idea of turning a customer's 1.5 PB storage space…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Cluster Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. NVMe over Fabric "Target" server for Windows Server 2016

Hi all.

HPE (and other vendors like Tyan) are producing exciting pieces of kit like the DL385 G10 1-2 processor AMD servers that can stack 24 NVMe drives into themselves and ******** a whole lot of (5) network cards into their PCIe slots. Currently MS can use servers like this in it's S2D implementations but I'm wondering why they should limit themselves to homogenous environments like that when we can deploy them into Software Defined SANs as well?

Enter the NVMeoF "Target" server for Windows Server 2016 where you can deploy your server onto any of these target hardware platforms…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Windows Server 2016 failover cluster fileserver role, configurable authentication domain.

Hi all,
    I wanted to put this suggestion forward because it seems like a feature that Microsoft, and its customers, would be very interested in.

MS seems to want to enter the Software Defined Storage and Software Defined SAN space with it's design decisions in WS 2016 and this puts it up against the likes of traditional vendors such as IBM, EMC and Netapp. This would place commodity hardware at the same level of these NAS / SANS with WS 2016 running over it and for the vast majority the OS can handle those demands with its new features such…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. cultofsnap

centerfold

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Enable CSV read cache in combination with Tiering

CSV read cache is a cool feature, unfortunately it can't be used in combination with Tiering. Would be great to enhance a tiered space with the speed of a memory cache as well.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Cluster Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base