Networking

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Additional DHCP Server Failover Links

In Server 2012, Windows Server had DHCP failover added to eliminate the requirement of clustering for HA. DHCP failover is limited to either a Load Balanced pair or an Active-HotStandby member.

It would be nice to have a load balanced pair of DHCP servers, with a second failover association of a Hot-Standby at a remote location.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  DHCP  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. DHCP server should check network connection and start servicing IPs after Event 1041

In the scenario where the DHCP server is started before the network switch, event 1041 is triggered and even after network is operational no IP addresses are services unless the DHCP service is manually started.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/e3f48935-33a1-4a16-87c2-8989c9cf42b4/dhcp-failover-does-not-work-if-service-is-not-servicing?forum=winserveripamdhcpdns

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. reengineer the whole DHCP Server

The MMC console based management of windows server is still unchanged since server 2003. These are the things that bother me:

• Window size is not saved. have to maximize everytime the window is opened

• Treemenu on the left is collapsed every time the window is opened

• Menu window on the left is very narrow, have to extend it every time the window is opened

• Cant edit IP address range exclutions (you have to delete and recreate every time)

• Cant edit reservations IP address

Following features would be great to have:

• Right click on a client and copy MAC address (for…
    16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DHCP  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. RE-code the DFACS utility

RE-code the released DHCP Failover Auto Config Sync (DFACS) utility. We were considering an implementation of it but scrapped the idea hearing of all the alleged scary issues in the comments e.g. memory consumption, deletion of scopes, issues with reservations, etc. The result of implementing the tool should mitigate config drift, not end up causing other larger issues!

Please do update me if a new build fixing the reported issues.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. DHCP Failover ist not possible between different Languages.

Dear Microsoft,

it's not possible to Setup a DHCP Failover between two Server (w2k12 R2) with different languages in my case English and german.

The Error Code 20044 comes up because of the differenet naming of the user and/or vendor classes.

I think this should be fixed.

Kind regards,
    Benedikt Ochs

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Rogue DHCP server detection

New feature, that allow to check on subnet if any other DHCP server is responsing to client and make event in server manager.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Enable DHCP to send unrequested options.

I thought I had posted this, but apparently not.
    Have the ability to force DHCP options down to a client. Right now it seems that the DHCP server only sends options back that are requested by the client. Having the ability to send non-requested options would be awesome. Not so much for Windows clients, but for Mac clients. The Netboot there doesn't request options 66 and 67. But if you send them down (such as the Mac Servers do), then it can boot from those options. If this were implemented, LOTS of Mac Admins would be very happy.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  DHCP  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Automatic Sync DHCP Failover Relationships

Without the need to deploy IPAM, offer an option to automatically sync DHCP failover relationships to keep the servers databases in sync. Thru the actions of admins, several events are executed and logged. It would be great to somehow trigger off the various events a synchronization rather than a manual effort as it is today.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DHCP  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow setting an IP-Alias while still on DHCP with your adapter

On Linux it is possible to define an IP-Alias for your ethernet card, even whil you have a dynamic IP on your adapter. But quite often I have to configure fresh network devices and have to give my adapter other IP adressses. Please give me that possibility.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base