Networking

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Re-engineer DNS

Recently, I had to switch about 200 records from Dynamic records to Static, because the Zone was set with 20 Min TTL, and I had servers, running on Dynamic DNS. I know that using the console, I can update a record to switch from Dynamic to a static record, but to my surprise, there wasn't an option via powershell :(

Also Powershell doesnt let you manage the TTL or other options in DNS

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide VLAN extension - L2 over L3 tunneling

A feature (for Windows Server Gateway) that allows tunneling Layer 2 over Layer 3 so to easily extend existing VLANs across Layer 3. This would allow tenants to easily move workloads between clouds without re-IPing.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Layer 2 & Ethernet  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. binding order powershell

binding order cannot be easily managed via powershell without registry manipulation of guids.

please make a sensible cmdlet

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  NIC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Rogue DHCP server detection

New feature, that allow to check on subnet if any other DHCP server is responsing to client and make event in server manager.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DHCP  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable DHCP to send unrequested options.

I thought I had posted this, but apparently not.
    Have the ability to force DHCP options down to a client. Right now it seems that the DHCP server only sends options back that are requested by the client. Having the ability to send non-requested options would be awesome. Not so much for Windows clients, but for Mac clients. The Netboot there doesn't request options 66 and 67. But if you send them down (such as the Mac Servers do), then it can boot from those options. If this were implemented, LOTS of Mac Admins would be very happy.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  DHCP  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Automatic Sync DHCP Failover Relationships

Without the need to deploy IPAM, offer an option to automatically sync DHCP failover relationships to keep the servers databases in sync. Thru the actions of admins, several events are executed and logged. It would be great to somehow trigger off the various events a synchronization rather than a manual effort as it is today.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DHCP  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Override teming mode for management OS virtual NICs

It would be greate, if we can tell for this particular vNIC to send/receive traffic trough one NIC and not to perform loadbalancing or failover. If you've got only 2 NIC adapters, you can't properly install hyper-V host with iSCSI (for iSCSI Multipath I/O is better option, than teaming), SMB v3 also would benefit (we than could keep traffic not crossing switches or stacking (IRF/MLAG) connection). Another option could be partition HW NIC using SR IOV technology, and bring VF to management OS.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Teaming & load balancing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Keep Network Teams intact after upgrade

After in-place upgrading Srv2016 Build 10154 to build 10158 the network teams needed to be reconfigured. All teams disappeared, hopefully this will be fixed in the following updates. Rebuilding the teams isn't fun..

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Teaming & load balancing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Introduce Linux like SO_TimeStamp socket option in networking API

Most of the network cards support High Precision clock synchronized with PTP protocol. In windows server introduce Linux like SO_TimeStamp set socket option to receive timestamp along with receiving packet. This will be used to identify network latency and a means to get high precision time stamp.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Time  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Provide support for changing LACP timer value to long/slow for NIC teams

If you use native support for NIC teaming, LACP teams use a short/fast timer. This is an issue if you the team is connected to a Cisco Nexus and want to use In-Service Software Upgrades because ISSU requires slow/long timers.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Teaming & load balancing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow setting an IP-Alias while still on DHCP with your adapter

On Linux it is possible to define an IP-Alias for your ethernet card, even whil you have a dynamic IP on your adapter. But quite often I have to configure fresh network devices and have to give my adapter other IP adressses. Please give me that possibility.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DHCP  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 4 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base