Linux Support

Let us know your suggestions for Linux running as a guest operating system on Windows Server Hyper-V: features you want, distros you want supported, performance limitations you encounter, etc. You can also expand the scope beyond Linux, and give us input on other open source operating systems running as a Hyper-V guest. Or let us know about aspects of Linux and Windows Server interoperation that you would like to see improved.

See Linux and FreeBSD Virtual Machines on Hyper-V for information about current product capabilities.

How can we improve Linux support in Windows Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. SecureBoot can not be done even if Linux Integration Services Version 4.1.3 for Hyper - V is installed on CentOS 7.3 VM on Windows Server 20

SecureBoot can not be done even if Linux Integration Services Version 4.1.3 for Hyper - V is installed on CentOS 7.3 VM on Windows Server 2016.
    I noticed a similar phenomenon in Linux Integration Services Version 4.1.2 for Hyper-V. I will report on "Linux Integration Services Version 4.1.3 for Hyper - V" because it has not healed.
    Although it is in Japanese, the confirmed result is described as the following URL.

http://sshzk.blogspot.jp/2016/08/linux-integration-services-version-412.html
    http://sshzk.blogspot.jp/2016/08/linux-integration-services-version-412_14.html
    http://sshzk.blogspot.jp/2016/08/linux-integration-services-version-412_17.html
    http://sshzk.blogspot.jp/2017/03/linux-integration-services-version-413.html

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Virtualization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Pre Freeze and Post Thaw script execution as part of Linux VSS snapshots to provide database quiescing

The ability to execute custom scripts in order to quiesce a database as part of the Hyper-V Linux Guest VSS snapshot process. This would provide Application Consistency and not just File System consistency in Linux guests.

i.e. similar to what VMwareTools provides and what Veeam/Comvault exploit: http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=products/vs_vmware/t_vmw_config_pre_post_snap_script.htm

4 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Virtualization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Enable PowerShell Direct for Linux VMs

Now that powershell is opensource and runs on linux you should enabled powershell direct for linux VMs running on hyperv.

5 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Virtualization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add support for domain policies with domein joined linux clients

Either support Linux domain member servers or clients with AD domain policies through a new integration service or make sure that the Windows server eventlogs aren't flooded with events complaining about this matter.

The solution or workaround at the moment for this is clearing the AD attribute DNSHostName contents with powershell or adsiedit on the computer object of the in the event log mentioned Linux host inside the residing container. As long as the (make sure it's static anyway) DNS entry for the Linux hosts exists it will not give any problems, but much less system event log errors.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Windows Subsystem Linux (Ubuntu on Windows)

Would be great have Bash on Windows Server like Windows 10 have. Some tools will be useful like ssh to connect others remote linux servers. Apache, php, mysql ... There are so many reasons to improve that tool. Admins can otherwise activate or not.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Distro Support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • add better support for linux VMs on client hyper-v.

Enable something like the enhanced session for linux VMs on Windows 10 hyper-v. It should be possible to use more than one monitor or drag and drop with linux clients. Support for 3d acceleration would also ne gread.

Our developpers need linux and enabeling this feature would make it possible to use hyper-v and not virtualbox anymore.
              Hyper-v works perfekt for Windows VMs but can't be used with linux.

Just to make it clear: I am speaking about Client Hyper-V. Servers are working great.

12 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Virtualization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • LIS shouldn't be pinned to specific kernel versions and should be distributed as a package via a repository

Much like VMWare, Xen, etc. LIS shouldn't be kernel version specific, ever. Also, LIS should be available for numerous distributions via packages (not tarballs with shell scripts). Finally, LIS should be distributed via repositories (not some random KB number). Adhere to Linux standards and best practices; it'd really help us like you guys more.

15 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Kernel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • RemoteFX + OpenGL guest support in Windows Server 10 Hyper-V

You are adding support for Windows 10 Enterprise. What about other guest operating systems for OpenGL/OpenCL? We really need this in RedHat/CentOS for Landmark seismic applications. Otherwise we still have to run VMWare for those systems.

30 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hyper-V in Windows 10 Anniversary Update and in Windows Server 2016 has the ability to do Discrete Device Assignment, where a device like a GPU can be directly mapped into the address space of a guest VM. This is supported for Windows guests and for Linux guests. For Linux guests, the needed kernel device drivers are in the latest upstream Linux kernel as part of the Hyper-V Linux Integration Services (LIS). These drivers are now flowing downstream into individual Linux distros releases. Ubuntu 16.04 has the drivers, and we’re working with Red Hat to get the drivers into future RHEL updates, which of course will cover CentOS as well. With the GPU mapped into the Linux guest, you can use whatever user space libraries, like OpenGL/OpenCL and others, that are needed by your computational application.

We don’t have any plans to offer RemoteFX for Linux guests.

• Client for certificate (auto)enrollment

Getting and renewing certificates from a Windows CA is a process that needs to be optimized as it needs too much manual intervention:

Generating the request, copy to management station, request cert, export, sometimes convert to other formats (f.i. pem) via openssh, copy back to linux machine. Then keep an eye on expiry dates and do it all again prior to cert expiration.

There should be an easy scriptable way to request and get the certificates on the linux machine as well as autorenewal.

9 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Create Microsoft APT repository for Hyper-V Integration Services for Ubuntu and Debian

- Create an APT repository for the latest Hyper-V Integration Services for Ubuntu and Debian.
                      - Create HTTP repository for RPMs for SuSE Linux and RedHat/CentOS latest Hyper-V Integration Services.

29 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Integration Components  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • 10 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Let us use heartbeat watchdog functionality for Linux machines working in HyperV-CLusters

As for now we have no option to trace events like kernel panic or storage faiulure and restart vms.

8 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Support to all functionalities in Debian

Support for Debian VMs is worst when compared with Ubuntu, CentOS and others distributions. Would be nice if we had Debian with funcionalities like Dynamic Memory, Virtual Fibre Channel and etc.

13 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Distro Support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base