Security and Assurance

Security and compliance in datacenters, private cloud and hosting environments.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow Windows Server 2016 to support disabling SMBv1 _and_ Server SPN target name validation

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/d520f2d4-4847-403d-bab6-1b33251a761c/issue-disabling-smbv1-and-windows-server-2016?forum=winserversecurity
    On Server 2016, disabling (removing) SMBv1 and having Microsoft network server: Server SPN target name validation level = Required from client (2) are currently not “working together”, yet it works on the other Windows operating systems just fine.

To recreate this:
    1) Test with a Domain-joined Windows Server 2016 box
    2) Remove-WindowsFeature FS-SMB1 on the Windows Server 2016 box
    3) GPO set or reghack on the Windows Server 2016 box: Server SPN target name validation level = Required from client (2)
    4) Reboot the Windows Server 2016

Domain Admins are now unable to connect to the \Server2016\C$ default share…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Authentication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix secedit in nano server

secedit is broken in nano server (checked both TP3 and TP4) and it simply doesn't work. I have asked about it @nano server forum as well without any response so far.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/894a3a8f-64f4-4605-b1ff-9698a53814db/issues-running-secedit-on-nano-server?forum=NanoServer

There is absolutely no way to harden a nano server once it is deployed. can it be fixed? or is there new way to work with local security policy on nano server that I am unaware of?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Management tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base