Core Server

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Classic ASP support for IIS on Nano Server

Classic ASP has a well-defined feature set that is unlikely to ever change, has never required a GUI of any sort, and should be pretty easy to slot in considering IIS on Nano already has support for ISAPI extensions.
    ADO/ODBC/OLEDB database access might be a bit trickier, but maybe could be implemented as a compatibility layer over ADO.NET? And technically, database access is not actually part of Classic ASP anyway, but rather an addon library.
    This would be really helpful for those of us who just want a tiny dynamically scripted web interface for something, without all the overhead of…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  API support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. increase powershell APIs

These 2 days I played the nano server on Azure. Currently using the nano server on Azure is just too hard.
    Things I want to do is very simply, deploy my app( core clr), run , copy logs to azure storage.
    I found the wget missing....
    I cannot access azure storage from powershell nor azure cli .....
    while I can finish the job on linux or full windows in 5 minuts

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. MS-DOS compatibility and applications more like DOS ones

NanoServer is like DOS, with its keyboard only. MS-DOS applications only need a keyboard, and are so light(kilobyte light) like EDIT.COM and Qbasic.(Long live Windows XP) As mentioned in the Nano Visual Studio, Microsoft could revive the DOS API and make a new Visual Studio like QBasic and Quick C. It should also include NTVDM optionally.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  API support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. nCurses-like library for Windows / Nano Server

For a long time, open source operating systems have offered an nCurses library, which enables developers to build "text GUIs." With the continuing trend of headless management of the Microsoft Server platform, it would be awesome to see a similar type of functionality made available to PowerShell and C# developers.

Having this capability would enable developers to build end-user, administrative and monitoring applications that can be executed inside a Windows Remote Management (WinRM) session.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base