Management Tools

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ADMX/CSE Development

Allow an extension to the GPMC (or as an alternative snap-in) for the development of custom admx templates and CSEs from the existing stock or as a new template.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Group Policy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add the ability to update GPO Central Store from within GPMC

With every new version of Windows you have to copy ADMX files manually to the Central Store in SYSVOL.

It would be nice to have a button in GPMC to copy the ADMX files from the admin computer where the console is running to the central store.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. GPO to support Edge Favorite Sync and Timeline for clients in on-premise domain

Since you made it impossible for us to allow users to sync their Edge Favorites and Timeline data via their Microsoft accounts (Timeline works for Azure-connected domains, but not on-premise domains), you are making our lives harder.

First, instead of allowing us to encourage users to use the Edge browser, this effectively forces us to tell them all to use Firefox, Opera, or Chrome so they can sync their bookmarks. I know the official Microsoft word is that admins requested blocking syncing with a Microsoft account as a security measure. I don't think many of us believe that. Aside from…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Extend GPO Group Policies support in Powershell

At the moment we can only copy a GPO, must be able to change GPO settings in PowerShell as well to fully automate

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Group Policy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add a new Group Policy Preference for Default Start Tile Layout

Today, we have the option of enforcing a Start Screen Tile Layout, for Windows 8 and 10, but no option to set a default Start Tile Layout for our users.

This leads to admins creating logon scripts to set this on first login, which is cludgey (and because it uses PowerShell, gives us a ~6 second delay for the script to be executed) and not very streamlined.

Most organizations want to provide a default starting experience, but allow their users to deviate and customize if desired. This is an opportunity.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Group Policy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add a GPO for Pinned Items

Today, every corporate customer that I've worked with has the same cludgey login script to provision default pinned items to users on first login.

Requiring admins to use VB Script to pin items to the start menu for users is a real super backwards approach, and something which I think should be provided via GPO instead.

The GPO should allow for a set of default icons to be pinned, and allow IT the option to enforce those pins, or allow users to add to them or change them.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add "Save" to GPOs

When I edit a GPO it should be open in read mode and I have to save the changes.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Group Policy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Missing Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update

Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update is missing from the latest ADMX on Windows Server and Windows 10. This setting is only available as a hotfix for Win7 (KB3065987) and Win8.1 (KB3065988) which will overwrite the Win10 ADMX in the central store.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Deleting outdated Configurations in GPO

Give me an option to delete old configurations like Folderredirection. If it is configured one time, you can't "unconfigure" that option.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Update GPOs

• Get rid of settings or references for old programs and operatings systems. For example GPO editor/Filter options still lists IE3 to 6.

• Windows 2000 is already not supported als domain member in Server 2012, therefore GPO settings for it should be removed in Server 2016

• Several Security Options items have warnings for changing settings that mattered over 10 years ago but no longer (e.g. require strong (Windows 2000 and later) session key)

• Software Restriction Policies should be removed and any missing functionality added to the newer AppLocker

• Some harmonisation by removing the old Win XP theme look under Preferences would…
    111 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Group Policy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. If it exists as a GUI option in a Microsoft Product , make sure there's a GPO that can be applied to it

Any setting that a user (or admin) could effect through the GUI of Windows, Office etc. should have a corresponding entry in a Group Policy. Good example is the loss of easy control of zones with the move away from GPO settings in IE10/11 for the IEAK and the current lack of GPO for Edge browser.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Windows Store Apps distribution by GPO

Windows Store Apps distribution by GPO

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. GPEDIT.MSC (how to access group policy and update)? Windows Admini Center

Unable to access group policies from RSAT or WAC (Windows Admin Center)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. In Local Group Policy Editor, it is possible to turn on Filter Option and search for text in Title, Help Text, and Comments. Unfortunately,

In the Local Group Policy Editor tool, it is possible to turn on Filter Option and search for text in Title, Help Text, and Comments. However, the Requirements section does not seem to be indexed which is very unfortunate. If that could also be indexed, I could search for "1709" and that way filter for new settings for Windows 1709. This is likely a very minor change in the tool that would greatly benefit users.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Provide a PowerShell cmdlet that reports on and discovers GPO settings

Currently in order to report on GPOs, one has to run Get-GPOReport and then parse the XML/HTML report. And this is extremely challenging since GPO XML schemas are non-trivial to learn if you aren't a developer.

Ideally this PowerShell cmdlet would enable any admin to easily identify GPO settings that apply to their OU and quickly discover the impact of GPO application order.

Please add a Get-GPOSetting cmdlet which performs the following:

• Identifies GPO settings when provided an OU, site or domain.

• Provides a combined report of all settings applied to an OU,site, or domain, including detail on conflicting settings…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Set-GPPermissions always prompting

Does anyone know how to bypass the Set-GPPermissions prompt? I have an automated script that removes 'Authenticated Users' from the security filtering and I couldn´t find a way to bypass it. Even if I put -Confirm:$false it still prompts... There is no -force option in this command..
    Get-gpo $policy_name -Domain $domain | Set-GPPermissions -Replace -PermissionLevel None -TargetName 'Authenticated Users' -TargetType group
    I know after kb3163622 all computers must have read access to user GPOs, and I will be using another security group to this GPO above, so just wanted to avoid that prompt confirmation.
    I have already posted it here …

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add a GPO option to set "Directory Services" (and other default channels) event log maximum size.

Add a GPO option to set "Directory Services" (and other defaults channels) event log maximum size. Currently this is done by setting maxsize on "HKEYLOCALMACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Directory Services", but it would be great if there's a default admx for it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add a rich GPO provider

I'd like to see a good, rich GPO provider. One that would allow me to do a set-location to some node in any .ADM/.ADMX we have loaded, would allow me to load/remove ADMXs from scope, and get/set/new any value.

The idea is to enable IT Pros to automate fully any setting in any GPO object.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. We need a native Get-GPLink cmdlet

For a day to day GPO administration, it is important to know to which domain, site and/or OU a GPO is linked to.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base