Management Tools

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a rich GPO provider

I'd like to see a good, rich GPO provider. One that would allow me to do a set-location to some node in any .ADM/.ADMX we have loaded, would allow me to load/remove ADMXs from scope, and get/set/new any value.

The idea is to enable IT Pros to automate fully any setting in any GPO object.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Group Policy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Modification time is different on "get-gpo" if queried directly or stored in an array

I believe this is a bug although not sure. Say you have 1 Group policy and you run this command

$($1=get-gpo -all)
    $1[0]

now run this, replacing "YOURGUID" with the guid from the above result

$(get-gpo -guid "YOURGUID")

In my tests this is always a second wrong, is it rounding, which is not really apporiate for this field

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Group Policy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Craft a "do over" for Group Policy that lets you select for a server to particpate in new, old, or merged settings.

Group policy is archaic. It shows far too much evidence of bolted-together evolution and enhancement. It has no granularity of management.

Rewrite it. From the ground up. It can likely use a lot of the same policy management locations on the backend, but the administrative interface needs to be reorganized. You need to implement delegation "per setting", so I can grant individual management groups the capability to control specific settings. It needs better logging for application of settings. Authoring needs to be improved, with versioning, and the ability to check out a gpo for modification, check back in, apply to…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Group Policy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
2 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base