Management Tools

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ServerManager gets uninstalled

ServerManager gets uninstalled in Windows Server 2016 when the FileServer Role is uninstalled. ServerManager should always be available in Full UI, even if I don't require the FileServer Role.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Server management tools (In-box)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Better mmc tool support for workgroup scenario

Please make Server Management and other mmc tools to work better if using Nano server in a work group. Now all remote Gui tools are relying on AD domain authentification. We might have scenarios where Nano hyper-v host will be placed in workgroup and not domain.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Server management tools (In-box)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Unify and Make Configuration and Server Management Tools Orthogonal and Friendly

As a server manager, I often wonder why there can't be One Configuration Tool to Rule them All. Then I think about that famous XKCD cartoon where there are 6 competing standards (or ways in windows to configure your network) and then someone comes up with the Grand Unified Plan rev 12, and at the end there are now 7 ways to do everything.

So given that you can't drop the control panel, ever. Given that server manager is here to stay, given that there are vertical products that exist inside and outside Microsoft to unify the mess, all I…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Server management tools (In-box)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make a copy of ServerManager.exe in Syswow64 folder

I have recently been starting to get the following error when trying to launch servermanager.exe :

"This application could not be started.
    Do you want to view information about this issue?"

the information was irrelevant.

All Users seemed to be affected and it wasn't a permissions issue.
    This did not happen right out of the box but after installing a 3rd party server software of some sort.
    once I ran procmon to see what It does or does not do excatly, i saw many references to the Syswow64 folder, so i decided to copy both Servermanager.exe and servermanagerlauncher.exe into syswow64. …

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Server Manager memory

Server manager comsuming a lot of memory space.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Server management tools (In-box)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. better perfmon for performance review

Perfmon is really dated tool for reviewing performance of Windows Server. It is really painful to select counters. It would be great to have all counters in the tree where I could click which counters I want to display. Selecting them now is really painful.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base