Management Tools

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Hostnames changing

Our one main issue is, the hostnames constantly change in WAC. Once you connect to a server, WAC will then show the correct hostname again. But then next time you connect to WAC, the hostname may be wrong again. For example, we have servers named like "prod-01-w19-server1", "prod-01-w19-server2", etc. Sometimes WAC will incorrectly show hostname for server1 as server2. Once we connect to server1, then it will show the correct hostname again, for awhile.

This is in AWS, managing 2019 servers. I'm assuming this is unique to our environment, as I don't see any other posts about this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. After-install customisations seem impossible. Suggestions.

I want to be able to change the listening port after installing WAC.
    Also, the "WinRM only over HTTPS" setting should be able to change after installing too.
    Also, I would like to be able to change the WAC web-server certificate to one of my own.
    Also, when using WAC locally, I want an option for whether it should open a new browser page when I start it. I find it really annoying when it opens a new page on a browser, because it always chooses the wrong browser. :(
    You could instead put an option on the system tray's…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. [Container] Managing Windows Server inside the Container with Windows Admin Center Features

We have now the Container Feature in Windows Admin Center, but is it possible to manage this Windows Server Container like a Windows Server VM with WAC Features when the Container is running?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. [DNS] TXT Records should be manageable

Allow creation and editing of TXT records from the DNS extension for WAC

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. [Cluster Creation preview] [BUG] [BLOCKER] creating a failover cluster fails at "renaming nic"

tested 1910.2
    try to create a failover cluster e.g. for Hyper-V
    The wizard works great at the beginning but has serious issues if it does not find network adapters to configure.(Webpage loads eternally or hangs). Workaround reload: WAC Cluster Creation

If there are network adapters it does want rename them (no option to skip this) and fails at this step.

From this part on you cannot use the wizard anymore and need to fall back to Failover Cluster Management mmc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. [Cluster Creation preview] [BUG] [BLOCKER] creating a failover cluster fails at "renaming nic"

tested 1910.2
    try to create a failover cluster e.g. for Hyper-V
    The wizard works great at the beginning but has serious issues if it does not find network adapters to configure.

If there are network adapters it does want rename them (no option to skip this) and fails at this step.

From this part on you cannot use the wizard anymore and need to fall back to Failover Cluster Management mmc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. [Network] [BUG] configuring an IPv6 / IPv4 Adress without DNS / Gateway

It is not possible to setup IPv4 or IPv6 Addresses without specifying a Gateway or DNS servers.

using :: doesn't work either.

It should be possible to only assign a network address without a mandantory Gateway or DNS Servers just as in the GUI / sconfig.

Usecase: cluster / live migration networks, internal networks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. [Connection list] Add right click open in a new tab

in Addition to this not so obvious feature
    https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295071-management-tools/suggestions/34322546--connection-list-open-connections-in-new-browser

please add ability to right click a connection to open a server in a new tab.

The implemented behaviour above is not so common for Windows / Browsers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. [Hyper-V] [Design issue] Virtual switch does not show the used adapter

tested in 1910.2

How to repro:
    create a virtual switch
    view options of the virtual switch

the output in WAC does not make clear enough which adapter is bind to the virtual switch, but gives you a rough list of all adapters available

expected behaviour: Network interface should be a drop down field.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. [Network] Ability to manage protocols / lmhost / Netbios over TCP/IP

it took me some time to understand how to enable and disable protocols, e.g. disable IPv4 or IPv6 via Powershell with Get-NetAdapterBinding

Please add these to Network view
    Curently I am missing the following

• bind unbind protocols

• enable / disable LMhosts (security)

• enable / disable Netbios over TCP/IP (security)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. [Firewall] Add ability to manage allowed subnets

Please add the ability to not only add firewall rules but also to specify the allowed subnets. This currently only possible with Powershell on Server Core and needs a lot of care as it is an array variable.

Usecase:
    Want to add exclusions for SQL Server that needs to be accessed from other VLANs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. [Devices] Add ability to show inactive devices / deactivate / activate / uninstall devices

it should be possible to
    - deactivate devices
    - activate devices
    - remove devices - optionally with uninstalling drivers

there is no smooth powershell equivalent available according to Steve Lee from the Powershell team, so we might want to have some cmdlets and bring them into WAC, too

Get-Pnpdevices is all we have at the moment. That is unfortunate on Server Core in terms of issues with devices.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. [Updates] [BUG] the column restart needed always shows "no restart needed"

affects: 1910.2 and earlier
    How to repro:

connect to a Server 2016 or 2019 that is not fully patched
    search for updates /WSUS / WuFB or Online

see that the column always states "no restart needed"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. [Virtual Machine] [BUG] Path of virtual harddisk is shown wrong

How to repro:
    create a virtual machine
    select a path for the machine / harddisk
    The wizard shows the correct path for the virtual machine (config, smart paging etc) but the disk path shows the default for VHDX as setup on the Hyper-V Host

Effectively the VHDX will be placed in the chosen path but does show the wrong path. Especially when selecting a CSV.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. [Virtual Machine] Adding disks options and SCSI Adapter

When trying to add virtual disk there are a lot of missing options.
    Please add the following crucial options

• ability to choose for dynamic or fixed or shared disk

• ability to add SCSI controller in this wizard, as some disks shall have own SCSI controllers not sharing the one of the default (OS disk)

see also:
    https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295071-management-tools/suggestions/40323646--feature-more-option-in-wac-for-hyper-v-settings

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Stop changing login credentials

Sane admins aren't running with a user account with high privileges at all times. Thus we need to use WAC with different credentials. Yet every time we open it up it defaults to our logged-in credentials and you have to re-do the same steps over and over and over again to change to credentials.

This has been ongoing for the entire life of this product. I would think this can get fixed without thousands of hours of effort needed. It's by far the biggest frustration with using WAC to me. Please fix this dumb issue finally

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. builtin\administrators

There is an Error when I try to delete the BuiltIn\Administrators from the Gateway Administrators under Access. I have added a Security group with the users that i want. Built in Administrators has way to many objects in it to properly lock down this role

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Reboot / shutdown option on paused node in Cluster view

Please include reboot / shutdown option on paused node in cluster view. it will make maintenance on nodes easier, will be very helpful on multi node Hyper-V cluster so that one will not reboot any running hype-v node mistakenly without moving VMs to other Hyper-V nodes in Cluster.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. [BUG][RBAC] Unable to Deploy JEA on Workgroup Machines

Attempting to use the WAC portal to deploy RBAC to a default configured Windows Server results in an error: Couldn't schedule the application of RBAC. Couldn't apply role-based access control to the computer. Error: The network path was not found.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Suggest: Provide a clear error message rather just said ERROR

Ex: I am creating reservation IP and the IP was created but I have create double same IP but the message just shown ERROR without any clear info of that error.

Why not shows it is duplicate IP?

Here the error while I am create duplicate reserve IP:

Error
    Create a new DHCP scope address reservation

3:17:04 PM
    Source
    Go to DHCP.
    Type
    Error

DHCP scope address reservation creation failed. Error RemoteException: Failed to reserve IP address 10.1.3.169 for ClientID/ClientDUID xx-26-ab-xx-xx-89 in scope 10.1.0.0 on DHCP server ***..

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base