Management Tools

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. IPv6 Static asigned address to NIC Team is not displayed accurately

Bug - IPv6 static address on a NIC Team is not correctly displayed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. [Bug]Firewall Port

What URL / Ports does the Extension Manager need to access. The server I have this installed on can only have access to specific URL's and ports. I would like to get any new extensions but cannot until I can get the specific URL's and Ports allowed on our external firewall.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. [Scheduled Tasks] needs security options

The "security options" section of the General tab in the Task Scheduler MMC snap-in doesn't appear to have an equivalent in Windows Admin Center. This prevents configuring options such as running the scheduled task even if the user is not logged in.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. [Computer Management] Add support of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 clients to Windows PC management

Please consider to add support of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 for the Windows PC management. Support Windows 10 is great, but unfortunately not everyone are using Windows 10 due to preference, the unfortunate fact that it is less stable than Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. So there are many users and some organizations would like to keep using Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 over Windows 10. Please consider of supporting these two OSes on Windows Admin Center.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. [Bug] invalid uri when adding sdn network controller

When i add my hyperconverged cluster (2016) and try to add my network controller i get the message Invalid URI while validating. I have tried with latest GA of WAC on 2016 and on 2019. In chrome and firefox. I get some eventlogs like:

sessionId : 79661312-5bce-4001-9f1b-5fb28afd49c0
    eventId : Trace
    level : Error
    sourceName : msft.sme.software-defined-data-center
    source : Batch PowerShell
    timestamp : 1538164471078
    message : RemoteException: Terminating error was thrown while executing 'C:\windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\NetworkController\Microsoft.NetworkController.Powershell.dll' operation on the server side endpoint 'https://my.ncservice.uri/networking/v1/servers/'..
    stack :
    moreEventData :

Using wireshark i cannot even see an attemt of contacting my nc

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. [UI] Display name of connected machine in Browser Tab

By copying and editing the URL in the browser Address bar it is possible to open multiple Server session with Windows Admin Center in different browser Windows.

Unfortunately the Browser Tab Title doesn't show the name of the connected machine.

So my suggestion is exactly this: display the name of the connected machine in the browser tab title

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. The "Edit Volume Properties" button does not work if the volume does not have a drive letter.

The "Edit Volume Properties" button does not work if the volume does not have a drive letter.
    ... why? I want to assign a drive letter, but how can I do this?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. [SMS] Migrate IIS (Internet Information Services 7.0 through 10) via Storage Migration Service

In reviewing the Storage Migration Service at both MSIgnite this week, as well as in my demo lab, I've noticed that the Storage Migration Service does not touch traditional IIS configurations/workloads. This would be a fantastic value add for places that have done traditional deployment packages to an IIS website. Could this be added to a future build of WAC? We have roughly 100 Windows 2008 R2 servers that could immediately benefit from this feature. Thanks for the consideration!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. [Powershell] remote powershell should exit when connection closes

Steps to Repro:
    1. Install WAC Version 1809 (Build 1.1.1809.17002) on Windows 10
    2. Connect to a remote server running Server 2016
    3. Open the "PowerShell" tool
    4. Provide credentials for the remote PowerShell
    5. <do work>
    6. In PowerShell, run the command 'exit'

Expected results:
    PowerShell disconnects and need to be reconnected.

Actual results:
    PowerShell on the remote server properly exits as expected, but the console remains with a PowerShell console for the local machine.

Likely Fix:
    Use PowerShell's built-in ability to run a command and immediately exit when that command completes, such as the command-line option "-Command" as…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. [Events] advanced filtering

The events list should allow more advanced filtering.

For example, support for existing XML filters created with existing Microsoft Windows Event Log viewer.

If WAC uses powershell Get-EventLog, then expose at least the ability to filter with the same functionality it provides:
    * [-Newest <Int32>]
    * [-After <DateTime>]
    * [-Before <DateTime>]
    * [-UserName <String[]>]
    * [[-InstanceId] <Int64[]>]
    * [-Index <Int32[]>]
    * [-EntryType <String[]>]
    * [-Source <String[]>]
    * [-Message <String>]

Steps to Repro:
    3. Open the "Events" tool
    4. In the "Events"…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. [Events] list should allow "description" column

The events list should allow the user to customize the columns provided, or at least provide an option to show the decription of events.

Steps to Repro:
    3. Open the "Events" tool
    4. In the "Events" tool, choose to show "Security" events
    5. Note the columns displayed are "Level", "Date and Time", "Source", and "Event ID"
    6. Try to find understand event meanings from the list...

Expected Results:
    UI should provide ability to select columns displayed in the list.
    UI should…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. [BUG] Cluster Network Adapter Missing

In Windows Admin Center for HCI, whenever I reboot a cluster node, the remaining nodes will report a warning that says "The server 'servername' has missing network adapter(s) connected to cluster network 'Cluster Network 1'."

This warning will clear node by node during a reboot. But once I reboot again, the warning will come back until another complete cluster reboot.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. [Network] [Bug] When a NIC has multiple IPv4 addresses, only one is displayed in the NIC details and settings.

[Network] [Bug] When a NIC has multiple IPv4 addresses, only one is displayed in the NIC details and settings.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. [HCI] [S2D] My Volume has filled up - I need to migrate VM storage to new volume, don't make me use FCM

My HCI S2D volume has filled up as VM disks grew. I am getting a critical alert in Windows Admin Center telling me I need to move files. To move files I need to do a Storage Migration for my VMs on the volume. I can not do this from inside WAC - I need to launch Failover Cluster Manager, pick a VM and do Move: Virtual Machine Storage. I would like to do this from within WAC.

Alert:
    Volume MirrorREFSDisk3
    The volume 'MirrorREFSDisk3' is running low on available storage capacity.
    Details
    The volume 'MirrorREFSDisk3' is running low on available…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. [Storage] Dynamic disks not visible

Hi.
    Today we observed that in Server Manager ( modern, since Windows 2012) remote server diks are not visble if they are converted to Dynamic Disks. Trying to use WAC as helper discovered tht it also didnt show Dynamic Disks. I understand that using Storage pools is suggested, but people still have old fassioned storage and probably also use it on new servers ( since nobody blocks it) and later wonder where it is...

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. [Identity] Just in time administration

For a person who has a log in to the Windows Admin Center but has no permissions to manage servers by default, provide the role for 'just in time' access so that the person can request administrative access (either approved or automatically allowed, and be logged for auditing) for a period of time. At the end of the period the user no longer has administrative access to the server. This way users don't need to always be administrators of computers but only when they require access.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. [Bug] [Cluster] Errors when one node of Failover Cluster is Down

When one of FailoverCluster nodes offline for a long time (planned or not), on Virtual Machines tab of Failover Cluster shown no information about VMs (only some Events).

Also error shown: RemoteExcaption: Excaption calling "GetHostEntry" with "1" arguments(s): "No such host is known".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. [Storage] Manage File screens

Add ability to control file screens.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. [Network] [New Functionality] Network Monitor

Add Network Monitoring capabilities within Windows Admin center that would display:
    - per process breakdown of network send/receive activity w/ PID
    - active TCP connections with local & remote port
    - remote connection address/resolve to dns
    This would be incredibly useful on server core installations where resource monitor is not available.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. [Files] Add ACL editor to WAC File Browser

The "Properties" submenu of folders and files in the File Browser feature is painfully sparse compared to its oldschool counterparts in Explorer.

Can we get a NT file permissions editor and ability to view effective access?

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base