Management Tools

How can we improve the management tools and experience in Windows Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. [Bug]Too many authentication pop-ups

Too many authentication pop-ups. Literally making this tool unusable.

Chrome / Firefox - no luck, still prompted. Unable to test it on Edge because the servers do not have Edge. Edge on user's workstation is again not helpful because any corporate environment is expected to have proxy and bound to websocket issue that is mentioned in known issues.

So at the end, a tool which is mentioned as "production ready" doesn't seems to be so. At first, very exited about the concept but result is not encouraging.

74 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

investigating  ·  9 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. WAC is causing 503 The Service is Unavailable errors on my IIS sites

WAC, by default, reserves anything that runs on port 443. This is causing 503 The Service is Unavailable errors on my IIS sites, as this reservation will prevent W3SVC from obtaining the rights to listen on port 443 when it tries to start the site.

>netsh http show urlacl

Reserved URL: https://+:443/
    Can't get security descriptor, Error: 87

This issue is solved by deleting that reservation and change port on WAC

>netsh http delete urlacl https://+:443/

Please document this issue (change the default port from 443) because it is A Not So Common Root Cause for 503 Service Unavailable and…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  1 comment  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. [Bug] typing an 'a' (lowercase) in any textbox will result in focus changeging to the "add" button

Typing an 'a' will result in the "add" button to get the input focus. This bug happens only with the lower case 'a'. Upper case 'A' works without any Problem. Repro: Install Windows Admin Center 1808, click on the search text box, typing an 'a' will result in search box loosing Focus and "add" button getting Focus ("hinzufügen" button in german). Repro was on two Servers with using german language Settings for OS and german language selected in Admin Center. other languages not tested

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  1 comment  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Trying to browese available extensions

When trying to browse the available extensions an alert notification pops up stating - The client and server cannot communicate, because they do not possess a common algorithm

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  0 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. [Installer] Installer fails if Windows Update service is disabled

This is not entirely new idea - I take it as a bug honestly.

If I install Windows Admin Center with disabled WUA service (I am simulating inability to access the internet - i.e. labs, bank systems etc.) the installation fails without any reason. There are no logs on disk, no message in event logs.

- As a user I would really like the idea to install this on environment without internet access (as mentioned above there are situation when the environment has no access to internet due to security rasons)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  0 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. [Bug] [cluster] Incorrect count and inventory of clustered VM in cluster (Windows 2016)

When open Virtual Machine tab of some cluster in Failover Cluster Manager displayed correct number of VM while refreshing and collecting data. Then count of VM changed and show incorrecty number - in Total on Summary tab. And incorrect list in Inventory tab.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. [Bug] Installer fails to elevate

MSI (s) (9C:DC) [11:11:52:346]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI2B19.tmp, Entrypoint: ReserveUrl
    MSI (s) (9C:A4) [11:11:52:346]: Generating random cookie.
    MSI (s) (9C:A4) [11:11:52:346]: Created Custom Action Server with PID 2232 (0x8B8).
    MSI (s) (9C:F4) [11:11:52:362]: Running as a service.
    MSI (s) (9C:F4) [11:11:52:378]: Hello, I'm your 32bit Elevated Non-remapped custom action server.
    SFXCA: Extracting custom action to temporary directory: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI2B19.tmp-\
    SFXCA: Binding to CLR version v4.0.30319
    Calling custom action Microsoft.ManagementExperience.Setup.CustomAction!Microsoft.ManagementExperience.Setup.CustomAction.CustomAction.ReserveUrl
    Exception:
    System.ArgumentException
    Custom action data improperly initialized
    Parameter name: session
    at Microsoft.ManagementExperience.Setup.CustomAction.CustomAction.<>c__DisplayClass11_0.<ReserveUrl>b__0()
    at Microsoft.ManagementExperience.Setup.CustomAction.CustomAction.RunInstallerAction(Session session, Func`1 action)
    MSI (s) (9C!EC) [11:11:52:643]: Product: Project 'Honolulu' (Technical Preview) -- 1: Unhandled Exception:…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base