How can we improve the management tools and experience in Windows Server?

[Connections] [Add] Ability to query AD for list of connections to add

From Private Preview user feedback.

278 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Samuel Li (MSFT) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Per commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to use PS to add/remove (synch) computers in connection list with ad?

• Karl W-E. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

imho it could imagine the following:
    the servers are synced with AD automatically and saved in a database. currently this is PER user.
    then there should be a role that may assign tags or servers to other users (based on AD user or security groups)

• Adam Kauffman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding from an AD scan is good. Syncing OUs is even better because then you get your systems organized by the same groupings that exist in AD with no need to add new systems every time you open the console. You would also get the benefit of automatic removal of systems no longer managed by AD. If it's not in AD then it doesn't exist to me. (With the option to manually add systems that currently exists today)

• Kyle Weeks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I manage thousands of Windows based servers. WAC is useless as is without this functionality at scale. Group tree structure to match OU Structure, or auto tag systems, or provide to add tag based on computer object attribute.

• Mantvydas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to have in Windows Admin Center all the Windows Servers in my domain that satisfy the filter I'd write: for example all servers in specific OU, that are Windows Server 2016 and that are not disabled. So they appear in Windows Admin Center automatically as soon as such a server appears in AD satisfying my filter. They also can automatically disappear from Windows Admin Center as soon as they're gone from AD.

• claz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make this AD aware so one does not have to import systems to manage. It would be nice to see the OU tree as one would see within ADAC or ADUC.

• OGO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 importing on some sort of schedule or based on some sort of custom rule would be great so new machines could get automatically addeds to the correct WAC gateways.

• Kurt Roggen [BE] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Provide wildcard support when specifying server names. For example: Specifying "*HVxx" would retrieve all matching computer objects (from AD) and would allow to add/register them at once.

• Nathan Davey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Scan Domain for servers when adding (like server manager). Adding servers one by one or compiling a spreadsheet is too slow and long winded.

• Tim Weible commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability to sync OU's for management would be great. Keeping the server list up to date with many users will quickly become a chore. Syncing OU's they are delegated to would be much beneficial.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding servers similar to server manager. Most of my servers start similar (svr-etc, VMHost1, etc), this way we can add multiple servers at once

• Craig. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability to import computers from AD and narrow it down to import from specific OU's

Auto detection of your estate from AD would be nice as well.

• Tony Richards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you add the ability to query an OU or AD path and populate Project Honolulu with those servers/clients?

• Andy Bocko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add the ability to import servers from AD. I just imported my servers by dumping the server list from AD and importing the text file. it should be easier.

Feedback and Knowledge Base