How can we improve the management tools and experience in Windows Server?

[Feature request] Honolulu should be able to send Email notifications

Please add a functionality to Honolulu that enables the Honolulu Server to send Email notifications. There should be two options:
1. a global value to be notified via Email if there are Warnings/Alerts - the should be a option to chose: notify for warnings and alerts and notify only for alerts
2. it would be great to have an button nearby important configurable values "create alert" and then there should be an option to configure a value and chose if the notification should be send when the running value gets greater or smaller than the configured value

The SMTP Server for the Email notification should be configurable.

557 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Manfred Helber shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

54 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

E-Mail is very helpful especially for single system or small companies

• Ryan Helmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really don't understand the disagreement with the idea that WAC could provide alerts (perhaps email isn't the ideal approach for everyone, but it's better than what many have now; up-sell a connection to an Azure service for more/better options? With AI, reporting, performance trends, etc.?):

- Setting up alerts manually in Perfmon? Goodness gracious, wouldn't it be nice to have a tool to set that up, across many machines? (WAC, where you been all my life? :D )
        - Wouldn't it be nice to have some canned, these-are-the-alerts-you're-looking-for you could set up immediately, instead of being left on your own trying to sort through the myriad options in Perfmon... kind of how WAC approaches things? "Hey, please just tell me if I'm running out of disk space!"
        - SCOM? Ugh. If you're the kind of shop that would run SCOM (and has the resources to configure and tame it from its wild-west defaults), you probably aren't that interested in WAC anyway.

There are tons of tools out there that do this, but most shoot for flexibility at the expense of simplicity, and become yet one more thing to learn, manage, and maintain. One reason people are so jazzed about WAC is that it greatly simplifies management. Why rudimentary alerting should be intentionally left out is baffling.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see that many ppl see this as a bad idea, but i cannot understand why.
        I can understand that in enterprise segment there are many better options, but we in small business sector definitely need this. Especially as an outsourced it deploying single boxes on premise or 2node systems, this could alert admins and no more scripting would be needed. I agree that plugin would be best sollution.

Bad idea for two reasons :
        - WAC is not a monitoring tool, it has not been designed for this
        - Email alerting is bad in general

• T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should be an extension! Keep it lightweight but where customers do not have full blown SCOM, this would be perfect.

• Alistair Ross [MSFT] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree completely with this. Email notifications are bad when configured in an Enterprise environment. Performance metrics can alert using Perfmon https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2424491/how-to-create-performance-counter-alert-and-send-email-when-the-alert But for scale I would use either System Center Operations Manager or Azure Services to monitor and alert on my data

disagree strongly... this is not designed for that task. Keep it lightweight like it is now. E-mail notifications can already be configured elsewhere; It would be handy though to configure those (like scom) messages through honolulu. So configuring scom through Honolulu / wac yes, let Honolulu / wac manage those e-mails / messages: NO.

• Manfred Helber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Anthony, yes, I understand how WAC works. So why did I create this Uservoice request? I delivered a lot of Honolulu Demos... The most asked question was: "How can I configure an Email Alert?" - so it seems the Admins like WAC but they expect some notification option there.

• Anthony Yates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although its a good idea that would be very useful I don't think you guys understand how this tool works. This is not a service that is constantly polling this data from your servers. It's also not storing historical stats from your servers. The only time it retrieves this information is when you login and connect to a specific server to monitor it.
        Unless Microsoft plan to significantly change how this product works I wouldn't expect to see this feature anytime soon.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base