How can we improve the management tools and experience in Windows Server?

[Deployment] Allow Windows Admin Center to be configured one time for all your admins

Allow Windows Admin Center to be configured one time for all your admins. I find it hard to believe that every admin at a business will need to config this product separately. Why not have a admin group that can see all and have one person doing all the config work.....

383 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Philip Horst shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

31 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dennis Bechtel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would love to implement this,i run an array of computers for a large company and do research statistics or orbiting bodies and their trajectories

• Daniel Shaffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second this comment "I have a team of 10 users, all of which share admin tasks across several hundred servers. Having one list to maintain of those servers, yet allowing each of them to use their own admin credentials to access/administrate is going to be KEY in getting buy in for this tool. Having to create the list for EVERY user that wants to use this, and then maintain that list, is impossible with the number of servers we have in our enviro."

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

after some digging i found a way to import a csv list with the powershellmodule "connectiontools" - you just have to add a "global" into the groupId in every line of the csv - so it will be imported into the shared list.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The insider preview 1902 is really nice with the shared connections - but i cant import my .csv of all my servers, because the server tags are used as servernames as well and you cant import it via powershell over the module "connectiontools" to shared connections....

• Manuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

missing the command to import-connections to "shared Connections" over powershell module "connectiontools"

• Dan Hayward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! with RBAC so that we can provision groups of servers to AD groups, i.e. Exchange servers to Exchange admins etc.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is a really important feature. The list can be added once and then all admins can use it with their credentials.

In addition to a central server list provided by the admin, it would be great, if:
    - The server objects can be grouped or tagged
    - If we can centrally enter user credentials for these servers
    - The credentials can be specified by server, by group or by tag

• Aflaugh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows Admin Center is basically useless unless you have a centralized list of servers. It would even be better if it was AD integrated where it would just go out and search for Windows Server OS and add it to the list.

• Kenneth Erard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A shared list would make WAC perfect for my team. It'd be cool if we could update it via a REST API as well.

At the very least, we need ALL admins to share a central server list; and then each of their sets of credentials for their own admin accounts would, of course, be separate; much like "VisionApp" aka "ASG-Remote." This is NOT a difficult thing to implement; and with a company of thousands of servers, it is a mandatory, basic feature that is sorely needed!

• Kenneth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Typical :)
    Use this great new admin tool they say, by the way you have to manually keep the server list uptodate..
    Useless... I'm gonna keep using my RDP jumphosts instead, at least they can talk to Active Directory.

Another vote/ask for at least an option to share a server list with others, in some fashion other than an export/import. Export/Import is fine, but then we have to continually do this/each admin must maintain their server list going forward. I need each admin in my shop to be able to see/access the same list of servers.

• Dominic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're coming from RDCMan with groups of RDG files broken down by Lifecycle, Function, even AD forest. The RDCMan uses XML and can be pre-configured/loaded using PowerShell scripts. We can even check out passwords and encrypt them for use within an RDG. It's fast, broken down per application and we can rebuild the RDG based on server rebuilds/decoms etc.
    I see the TAG capability which might maybe work, but not sure its as flexible as the RDG/Group1/GroupLevel2/GroupLevel3/Servers breakdown.

I do not need a long list of all computers/servers in the network. A simple "query as you type" against the AD or (a) specified OU(s) would be great.
    Filtered for computer items

• Pedro Magriço commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A Copy / Export / Import Profile and Settings Feature:

Setting a Windows Admin Center does take some time and dedication.
    But after everything is setup the becames a powerfull and usefull tool to control multiple servers / machines
    It would be amazing if we could take those configurations that are set for a user / machine and import them to other users.

The most important part would be the added connections, when you have more than 100 servers it is troublesome to add them all by hand.

Or in alternative, is there a file where these settings are saved like an xml file? That we could just import to another machine / user profile??

Thank you for the read and the patience.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base