How can we improve the management tools and experience in Windows Server?

[BUG] Can't verify whether "cluster_name" is online

trying to add my HCI cluster to windows admin center and get "Can't verify whether "my_cluster_name" is online" error message

7 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Daniel Hebert shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Daniel Hebert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After removing the cluster properties to match what our new production clusters have, I am now able to mange this other cluster in windows admin center.

Still not able to add it to the Admin center. However, we just spun up three new clusters and those are adding with no problem

• Robert Hochmayr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Daniel

Just checked an affected cluster with nodes patched to 2018-08 CU and the private properties are still in place.

Regards,
        Robert

• Jan Olbrecht commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks to Robert Hochmayr I tested the following on our Cluster, with success:

PS C:\windows\system32> get-clusternode | Get-ClusterParameter

Object Name Value Type
        ------ ---- ----- ----
        S2D-01 S2DCacheBehavior 88 UInt64
        S2D-01 S2DCacheDesiredState 2 UInt32
        S2D-03 S2DCacheDesiredState 2 UInt32
        S2D-03 S2DCacheBehavior 88 UInt64

This being a 4-node cluster we were missing nodes 2 and 4. I am sure I removed node 4 from the cluster at some point during testing and re-joined this. Also both 2 and 4 are set in a different failure domain (rack) in the cluster:

PS C:\windows\system32> Get-ClusterFaultDomain

Name Type ParentName ChildrenNames
        ---- ---- ---------- -------------
        FRA3 Rack {S2D-02, S2D-04}
        FRA5 Rack {S2D-01, S2D-03}
        S2D-01 Node FRA5
        S2D-02 Node FRA3
        S2D-03 Node FRA5
        S2D-04 Node FRA3

Checking the registry, the Parameters key was missing from nodes 1 and 4 on all S2D nodes. I added the key to all nodes and added the DWORD and QWORD values.

Once those were set WAC was immediately able to connect the HCI cluster. No reboots or restarts of services needed.
        -Jan

• Robert Hochmayr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding to Jans comment, we are also seeing this on one of our clusters. I assume the private property in question are S2DCacheDesiredState & S2DCacheBehaviour. According to MSDN These should be cluster common parameters and not private (e.g. assigned to a cluster resource). Cluster common properties are stored in the cluster database and apply to the cluster as a whole

https://docs.microsoft.com/de-at/previous-versions/windows/desktop/mscs/dasmodecachedesiredstate

https://docs.microsoft.com/de-at/previous-versions/windows/desktop/mscs/dasmodecachebehavior

They can be found either in the Registry under HKLM\Cluster\Nodes\x\Parameters
        or be queried via PS: get-clusternode | Get-ClusterParameter

PS C:\Users\TheIncredibleHulk> get-clusternode | Get-ClusterParameter

Object Name Value Type
        ------ ---- ----- ----
        s2dnode01 S2DCacheDesiredState 2 UInt32
        s2dnode01 S2DCacheBehavior 88 UInt64
        s2dnode02 S2DCacheDesiredState 2 UInt32
        s2dnode02 S2DCacheBehavior 88 UInt64
        s2dnode03 S2DCacheDesiredState 2 UInt32
        s2dnode03 S2DCacheBehavior 88 UInt64
        s2dnode04 S2DCacheDesiredState 2 UInt32
        s2dnode04 S2DCacheBehavior 88 UInt64

The cluster has been extended to 8 nodes in the meantime and we only see those values on the first 4 nodes. Maybe this was set falsley in an earlier release of Server 2016?

The two properties are also correctly assigned to the cluster itself, so I assume the private properties can be removed. Not sure what the supported way for this would be though on a S2D cluster running production workloads.

I opened a ticket with MS on this and I was told this may be a known bug and a fix should come out in August some time. Maybe the preview version may already have the fix, has anyone tried that?

• Jan Olbrecht commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

According to the Eventlog this should be the cause (still stumped how to fix it though):

400 - CimException: The xsi:type attribute (p1:MSCluster_Property_Node_PrivateProperties) does not identify an existing class.
        Stack trace: at Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.Internal.Operations.CimAsyncObserverProxyBase`1.ProcessNativeCallback(OperationCallbackProcessingContext callbackProcessingContext, T currentItem, Boolean moreResults, MiResult operationResult, String errorMessage, InstanceHandle errorDetailsHandle)
        --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
        at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
        at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
        at Microsoft.ManagementExperience.Cim.CimProxy.<>c__DisplayClass7_0.<<Query>b__0>d.MoveNext()
        at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
        at Microsoft.ManagementExperience.Cim.CimProxy.<>c__DisplayClass22_0`1.<<RunInCimSession>b__0>d.MoveNext()
        at Microsoft.ManagementExperience.Security.ImpersonationManager.<DetermineDelegationAndRun>d__0`1.MoveNext()
        at Microsoft.ManagementExperience.Cim.CimProxy.<RunInCimSession>d__22`1.MoveNext()
        at Microsoft.ManagementExperience.Cim.CimProxy.<Query>d__7.MoveNext()
        at Microsoft.ManagementExperience.FrontEnd.Controllers.FeatureController.<GetClassInstances>d__14.MoveNext()
        at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskHelpersExtensions.<CastToObject>d__3`1.MoveNext()
        at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeActionAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
        at Microsoft.ManagementExperience.FrontEnd.Handlers.ImpersonationActionInvoker.<InvokeActionAsync>d__0.MoveNext()
        at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__2.MoveNext()
        at System.Web.Http.Dispatcher.HttpControllerDispatcher.<SendAsync>d__1.MoveNext()

• Weithenn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i have two S2D HCI Cluster, 1 S2D HCI Cluster success, 1 S2D HCI Cluster the sam problem will get "Can't verify whether "my_cluster_name" .

- two S2D HCI Cluster already install 2018-06 windows update.
        - two S2D HCI Cluster already add "SDDC Management" cluster resource.
        - two S2D HCI Cluster can to WAC Gateway Port 443.
        - WAC Gatewa cat go to two S2D HCI Cluster Port 5985.

any idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base