How can we improve the management tools and experience in Windows Server?

[WinRM] [Configuration] Use WinRM over SSL, port 5986 to connect to remote servers

Use WinRM over SSL, port 5986 to connect to remote servers.
I have deployed certificates and configured WinRM over SSL on all my servers and was planning to use WAC but it seems it can only connect using HTTP/5985 which is really disappointing.

67 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Johan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nate Arnold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely required at my organization if WAC (and Core by extension) ever hopes to gain any traction. Without SSL it's just a POC, which is disappointing.

• Dustin Hyatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this not implemented from the start? Who allows connection over HTTP for management still?

• Adam Millgate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an absolute must for any remote management solution. The lack of it in Server Manager was disappointing, the lack of it in WAC is unacceptable.

• TB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All our Servers are only reachable over WinRM HTTPS too, why is this not the default ?

• El Sr. Juez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is also an issue in Server Manager, really hoping Microsoft gets it right this time around.

• Raphael Fäh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really looking forward to this feature. All our Servers are only reachable over WinRM HTTPS by policy, rendering us unable to use WAC at all, even locally

• Niklas Goebel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need use of WinRM over SSL (Port 5986) too, because we automate servers and applications over multiple AD domains (no domain trust) and secure all server connections with SSL to verify server identity.

• Anton Zimin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The communication is still encrypted, but you can't verify server identity. A hacker can steal NTLM hash and ***** it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base