Management Tools

How can we improve the management tools and experience in Windows Server?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Manage Windows Updates for many Servers at once!

Hello,

I'm managing about 8-10 virtual windows servers - and I don't have, and don't want WSUS nor the any of the other full blown solutions...

Honolulu seems like the thing I was looking for a while :)

PLEASE add a view that shows the Windows Update State of ALL servers at once? I would like to use this view to rollout recent updates and schedule reboots.

Did you ever used ubuntu-landscape? After adding the linux servers - I'll get an eMail whenever updates are possible :) On the updates website, I then just check all servers, and hit update…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Server management tools (In-box)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow Server Manager to dynamically update a server group based on given criteria

I think Server Manager could be a lot more powerful if the server groups had the option to be dynamically updated by given criteria like a specific OU, naming convention, location, or other AD attribute. This way an admin can truely manage all of their servers without having to manually add each server they want to manage

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Server management tools (In-box)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Connecting to A Hyper-v /SCVMM server manage also the VM's

When connecting to a Hyper-v server it would be nice that you also can manage the Hosted VM's on that. you can already true the Powershell command. but If you can do the basic stuff like the 5 manage options that there current. Or integration with SCVMM to kickoff a template/start/stop vm's but gui wise. you can do this now already with the powershell commands.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Server management tools (In-box)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Windows Server 2019: Enabling WindowSubsystem4Linux We Needs Windows Store

We need access to Windows Store if you are going to enable WSL so there for we can create we can create a outlook.com email address if needed, so we can login and download from the windows store or you can make a Windows Server Store have only apps related to or work in conjunction with server function e.g. Ubuntu 16/18, Windows Admin centre extension, etc

Don’t offer more problems without solution on windows server OS’s which have solution on Windows 10 which you not going o implement on Windows Server that’s just mean.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Hyper-V BPA: "At least one network for live migration traffic should have a link speed of at least 1 Gbps"

Windows 2016 Hyper-V Clusters. All Nodes are getting the Error message above in BPA, even though the Live Migration vNIC is of 40Gbps (each Node has 4 10Gbps NICs with SET + Converged Network).

Known issue?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Update Best Practices Analyzer (BPA)

I was asked to post the following over here relating to BPA

Many thanks for your response. However, I'm afraid "More information...." seems not to be very helpful for the list of warnings I have.

For example "ServerHidden should be enabled", takes you to "Windows Server Future Resources", which is dated August 2011.

"ValidateShareScope should be enabled", does take you to a page of that name, but for Windows Server 2012, and tells you to Enable ValidateShareScope on this server -- This has been enabled in HKLM\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters -- or is that the wrong place?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Server management tools (In-box)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. server manager

I would like to see in Server Manager the ability to connect to another server that supports server manager so that we can get the local server settings without having to RDP onto the server.

Also make it so when using Server Manager from a Windows 10 box and clicking on the different services you get the tools to manage that service along with the events/services/etc that are already there.

I find in its current state from a remote management point of view to be very useless.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. ServerManager gets uninstalled

ServerManager gets uninstalled in Windows Server 2016 when the FileServer Role is uninstalled. ServerManager should always be available in Full UI, even if I don't require the FileServer Role.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Server management tools (In-box)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Better mmc tool support for workgroup scenario

Please make Server Management and other mmc tools to work better if using Nano server in a work group. Now all remote Gui tools are relying on AD domain authentification. We might have scenarios where Nano hyper-v host will be placed in workgroup and not domain.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Unify and Make Configuration and Server Management Tools Orthogonal and Friendly

As a server manager, I often wonder why there can't be One Configuration Tool to Rule them All. Then I think about that famous XKCD cartoon where there are 6 competing standards (or ways in windows to configure your network) and then someone comes up with the Grand Unified Plan rev 12, and at the end there are now 7 ways to do everything.

So given that you can't drop the control panel, ever. Given that server manager is here to stay, given that there are vertical products that exist inside and outside Microsoft to unify the mess, all I…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make a copy of ServerManager.exe in Syswow64 folder

I have recently been starting to get the following error when trying to launch servermanager.exe :

"This application could not be started.
    Do you want to view information about this issue?"

the information was irrelevant.

All Users seemed to be affected and it wasn't a permissions issue.
    This did not happen right out of the box but after installing a 3rd party server software of some sort.
    once I ran procmon to see what It does or does not do excatly, i saw many references to the Syswow64 folder, so i decided to copy both Servermanager.exe and servermanagerlauncher.exe into syswow64. …

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. [Connection Type] [SSH] SSH-Client

Pleas add a SSH-Client in Windows Server and Client.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Server management tools (In-box)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Server Manager memory

Server manager comsuming a lot of memory space.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Let us manage multiple servers with Server Manager

Server Manager in 2012 is fairly limited if you want to add a role to a bunch of servers you have to do it one by one, considering this is just a PowerShell frontend it should be really easy to let us select more than one server and fire off the PowerShell command to them.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. SConfig lacking IPv6 Options

SConfig seems to be lacking an option to set IPv6 information. When you pick the option to set an address, you can enter a v4 and continue, but if you try to enter a v6, it errors. And otherwise, there is no option to configure a IPv6 address.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Make device manager work remotely

This would be useful for troubleshoot and update drivers on Core.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Server management tools (In-box)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Improve Server Manager so that new Roles/Features can be installed on multiple machines in paralell

Currently you have to install new Roles/Features in Server Manager Machine after Machine. This is against the idea that Server Manager provides Multi-Server Management.

Provide an option to install new Roles/Features to many Servers in one step.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. better perfmon for performance review

Perfmon is really dated tool for reviewing performance of Windows Server. It is really painful to select counters. It would be great to have all counters in the tree where I could click which counters I want to display. Selecting them now is really painful.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base