Management Tools

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Server Management for Windows Server 2016/2012R2/2012 from Azure

It would be very helpful to take an administration of the servers (WS2016 / WS2012R2 / WS2012) from Azure, even the group management of the different servers, here you can take advantage of the following tasks: Windows Server Backup, Device Manager, Disk Management And Remote Desktop.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2. ServerManager gets uninstalled

ServerManager gets uninstalled in Windows Server 2016 when the FileServer Role is uninstalled. ServerManager should always be available in Full UI, even if I don't require the FileServer Role.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Server management tools (In-box)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Is it possible to centralize Azure Backup agents from Azure Console or Server Manager?

It would be helpful to centralize all Azure Backup agents from a main console in the Server Manager or the Azure portal, so you can manage the backup and restore policies, managing multiple servers and workstations.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Server management tools in Azure (Retired)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add a rich GPO provider

I'd like to see a good, rich GPO provider. One that would allow me to do a set-location to some node in any .ADM/.ADMX we have loaded, would allow me to load/remove ADMXs from scope, and get/set/new any value.

The idea is to enable IT Pros to automate fully any setting in any GPO object.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Group Policy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix issue in ARM Template used for deployment 'Create Server management tools connection' that gives error 'resourcegrouplocationundefined'

Invalid arguments. Additional details from the underlying API that might be helpful: Cannot start template deployment. A resource group location was not specified. I don't believe I can, or should need to specify the resource group location.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Better mmc tool support for workgroup scenario

Please make Server Management and other mmc tools to work better if using Nano server in a work group. Now all remote Gui tools are relying on AD domain authentification. We might have scenarios where Nano hyper-v host will be placed in workgroup and not domain.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Server management tools (In-box)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Server management tools gateway

Make a option available in Azure to install the Server management tools gateway on 2 servers on premise and group them together so you can make the gateway high available.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. UWP Frontend Application

Create an UWP application for accessing server management tools in the cloud.
    Like the Warp Client (Beta) UWP app in Windows Store which does something
    similar but for on premises device management.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Pricing info Remote Server Management connections and gateway

I cannot find any information on how Microsoft will bill the usage of these tools and connections.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Display detailed info about each service in the Services tool

[Customer submitted feedback] In Services tool, show more details on each service listed, so user doesn’t need to search internet and figure out – what each service is for, requirements, etc

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Support SMT gateway service installation on Nano Server

[Customer submitted feedback] Currently, the gateway service MSI package can be installed on WS2016, WS2012 and WS2012R2, including Server Core, but not on Nano Server.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Unify and Make Configuration and Server Management Tools Orthogonal and Friendly

As a server manager, I often wonder why there can't be One Configuration Tool to Rule them All. Then I think about that famous XKCD cartoon where there are 6 competing standards (or ways in windows to configure your network) and then someone comes up with the Grand Unified Plan rev 12, and at the end there are now 7 ways to do everything.

So given that you can't drop the control panel, ever. Given that server manager is here to stay, given that there are vertical products that exist inside and outside Microsoft to unify the mess, all I…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Server management tools (In-box)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Maintain the PowerShell session when moving away from the PowerShell blade

[Customer submitted feedback] Preserve the PS console state when moving away from the PS blade and coming back.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. API for Server management tools gateway

[Customer submitted feedback]
    Can the server management tools be used via an API from an UWP app either directly against the gateway server software, or via azure?

Currently we have an UWP app and use our own gateway software for doing remote management, but it would be awesome to be able to use your gateway software instead!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Make a copy of ServerManager.exe in Syswow64 folder

I have recently been starting to get the following error when trying to launch servermanager.exe :

"This application could not be started.
    Do you want to view information about this issue?"

the information was irrelevant.

All Users seemed to be affected and it wasn't a permissions issue.
    This did not happen right out of the box but after installing a 3rd party server software of some sort.
    once I ran procmon to see what It does or does not do excatly, i saw many references to the Syswow64 folder, so i decided to copy both Servermanager.exe and servermanagerlauncher.exe into syswow64. …

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Modification time is different on "get-gpo" if queried directly or stored in an array

I believe this is a bug although not sure. Say you have 1 Group policy and you run this command

$($1=get-gpo -all)
    $1[0]

now run this, replacing "YOURGUID" with the guid from the above result

$(get-gpo -guid "YOURGUID")

In my tests this is always a second wrong, is it rounding, which is not really apporiate for this field

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Group Policy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Pls provide an SDK which helps the external applications connect to on premise/azure windows machines.

Let me explain the requirement.
    We have a web application through which we should be able to manage (List ,start, stop, create VMs) the VMs created using VMM.
    I understand using RSMT , on premise /azure windows machines can be managed using azure portal . We are looking for an SDK which will enable our applications connect to the machines where VMM is hosted and do the necessary operation in the VM created in VMM. Is there any way we can leverage SMT in this regard?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base