Management Tools

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more
  • or
  1. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

completed  ·  4 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. [Local Users & groups] Add ability to enable or disable user accounts

Under Local Users and Groups, there should be an easy/easier way to simply enable or disable user accounts. For instance, I happen to know the Guest account is currently active, I should be able to highlight the Guest account and click Disable or Enable from the toolbar.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. [Local users & groups] cant add computer account to administrators group

Using "Local Computers and Goups" I cant add a computer account to the local administrators group. normally in the MMC I would have to add computers to the search context, but I don't have that option.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. [Local Users & Groups] [Rename] Can't change local administrator name.

There is not a place to select the account you want, then properties, and then name change.
    There appears to be no way to change the local administrator name in the new Windows 10. Therefore the sign-in screen name remains generic name such as HPUSER. In older editions one could choose the account they wanted and its properties such as name.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. [Feature Request] - Admin Center - Disabled users in Local users & groups

When opening "Local users & groups" for a Windows computer, it lists the Users and Groups on the server/computer. It however, does not tell me what accounts are disabled. This means I have to use legacy tools to get this information, which is very frustrating as I believe this tool should how account state.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add browse buttom to Local Users & Groups in Computer Management

Using "Local Computers and Goups" I can't browse for domain users to add to any group.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. [gMSA] [Local Users & Groups] Ease installing AD group managed service accounts on member servers with WAC

Ease installing AD group managed service accounts on member servers with WAC. Unless I am completely automating a build, I typically use remote desktop to deploy group managed service accounts on member servers for both server core and server with a desktop. Configuring this remotely with PowerShell requires both CredSSP to be setup in order to read the directory, as well as the rsat-ad-powershell feature to be installed on the member server. Having a GUI on the management page for local users and groups would be a good place to add the control

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. [Local users and groups] Allow multiple users to be added to local groups

I have several service accounts and users to add to the local Admins and other groups on various servers. It would be nice if we could add multiple users using the ";" or even better, autocomplete names when typing in a domain user like for example, SharePoint.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. add security groups to local groups

Would love to be able to add AD Security Groups to Local Groups in Users and Groups Extension

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. [UPN] UPN (user@domain.) format should work

Local users and groups management should allow adding user by their UPN logon name - Currently seems to require pre-Windows 2000 DOMAIN\username

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. [Feature Request] Honolulu should be able to manage userprofiles (view, delete, "disable/enable")

Sometimes it is the easiest way to analyze/fix userprofile related issues by deleting the userprofile of the affected user...

It would be awesome if Honolulu could list all userprofiles, and allow to delete or "disable" them if the userprofile is currently not in use.

What do I mean with "disable/enable" a userprofile?
    Currently we use a script to rename existing userprofiles (like "UserId_disabled"), so a new profile will be loaded when the user logs on to the computer next time.

If the problem is not fixed with the newly created userprofile, the user logs off again, the admin "restore" the…

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. [Bug] Removing an abandonded SID from group causes an error

Select 'Local Users & Groups' from left side Tools menu.
    Select the 'Groups' tab
    Select the Local 'Administrators' group.
    Select an abandoned SID (if present) from the 'Details - Administrators'.
    Click 'Remove Users(s)' button
    Click 'Yes' confirmation button

The error occurs:

RemoteException: The syntax of this command is: NET LOCALGROUP [groupname [/COMMENT:"text"]] [/DOMAIN] groupname {/ADD [/COMMENT:"text"] | /DELETE} [/DOMAIN] groupname name [...] {/ADD | /DELETE} [/DOMAIN]

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. [RBAC] local computer group based access

Allow access based on local computer groups. Users don't need administrator access to see certain tools
    Ex. If a user is in the Performance Monitors Users group on a server, allow access to the overview tool and any performance based tools.
    Ex. Local Network Configuration Operators group, grants access to Network tool on that server

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. [Bug] LDAP server is unavailable when addding security group

Querying active directory domain for list of machines, when adding servers to the gateway is working properly.
    Managing gateway access, can't add any allowed groups (local or domain) - Gateway users or administrators.

Error: The LDAP server is unavailable.
    localhost

Event log:
    500 - LdapException: The LDAP server is unavailable.
    Stack trace: at System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.LdapConnection.Connect()
    at System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.LdapConnection.SendRequestHelper(DirectoryRequest request, Int32& messageID)
    at System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.LdapConnection.SendRequest(DirectoryRequest request, TimeSpan requestTimeout)
    at System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.PrincipalContext.ReadServerConfig(String serverName, ServerProperties& properties)

WAC installed as gateway on Windows Server 2016 (OS Build 14393.2969) - connected to domain
    WAC version 1904.1 & 1906 preview
    Acces to WAC from Windows…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. [Bug] - Computer Manager Link leads to Server Manager

Bug if you go through - Computer Management - role based access - local user and groups link in the text below it leads to server manager not computer Manager local user and Groups (allows to Access for example the PowerShell console on a Computer)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Windows Admin Center Gateway access

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/manage/windows-admin-center/configure/user-access-control#active-directory-or-local-machine-groups

Active Directory or local machine groups

By default, Active Directory or local machine groups are used to control gateway access. If you have an Active Directory domain, you can manage gateway user and administrator access from within the Windows Admin Center interface.

On the Users tab you can control who can access Windows Admin Center as a gateway user. By default, and if you don't specify a security group, any user that accesses the gateway URL has access. Once you add one or more security groups to the users list, access is restricted to the members of those groups.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Feature Request : API required for adding groups to Windows Admin Center

In order to offer Windows Admin Center ( WAC ) as a product internally at our company, we are investigating whether it is possible to add groups programmatically ( e.g. via a script ) instead of manually as the case now where one has to go via the route Settings > Access > Allowed Groups. We did not find any script or API as part of the WAC installation or any documentation about it anywhere.

On investigating the calls being made by WAC via the browser console, we discovered the following :

The call being made to add an allowed…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bug - local user can promote self to local admin

Installing locally (on 10 1703) on a domain machine, as a domain user without admin permissions, Honolulu doesn't prompt for UAC, and I am able to add myself to local administrators group, create local users and promote them to local admin

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. [Bug] Can't administer local laptop, which WAC is installed on.

Win10 1803 Build 18219
    Azure-AD Joined device, AAD-user logged on.
    Using the self-signed cert.
    Installer auto-selected port 6516, which I accepted.

Browsing WAC works fine, I can add extensions even.

But managing the laptop upon which WAC is installed on fails on authentication.

Error: Your credentials didn’t work - try again
    Event-viewer gives:
    "401 - PSRemotingTransportException: Connecting to remote server desktop-xxxx failed with the following error message : Access is denied. For more information, see the aboutRemoteTroubleshooting Help topic."

This happens even if I try to logon with a local-user which is member of Administrators group.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You are hitting two separate issues here -

You’ll need to use manage-as credentials to manage localhost.
    This note mentions MSAs, but it can also apply AAD accounts:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/manage/windows-admin-center/use/known-issues#computer-management-solution

Connecting as a local admin that is not the built-in local Administrator account is restricted by this setting:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/manage/windows-admin-center/use/troubleshooting#i-can-connect-to-some-servers-but-not-others

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base