Management Tools

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more
  • or
  1. 19 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. [Roles & features] [WSUS] WSUS wants to install WID

When installing WSUS there should be a checkbox to not install WID. Windows Admin Center should not assume WID will be used but on first screen prompt user for option to store DB in SQL Server.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. [Roles and Features]

When installing a new role, some kind of status would be helpful. I am trying to install IIS and after I hit the install button, I don't know if it's actually doing anything.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. [UI] Add Management Tools Based on Installed Roles

Add Management tools for Installed Roles/Features of Managed Servers in Project Honolulu. (e.g. Active Directory Users and Computers if Managing a Domain Controller)

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Bring RSAT/MMC Snap-Ins to the browser

Depending on wich roles/features are installed, you get the appropriate MMC Snap-Ins web-based in the tools section

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. [Roles & features] [Post-install task] [AD Promo] After installing AD DS role, Admin Center doesn't prompt for DC Promo

Just installed a new DC, used Admin Center to add the AD DS role and after, it just states successful but doesn't prompt me to do a DC Promo. It should have a notification or link.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. [bug] domain controller roles and features Fails

This doesn't work. It fails

Error

Failed to initialize Roles and Features, Error: RemoteException: Exception calling "Translate" with "1" argument(s): "Some or all identity references could not be translated.".
    10/31/2018, 9:42:13 AM

I am connected as a domain Admin. It works fine on member server

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. [UI] Checkbox visibility

The checkboxes on the Roles and Features page are white on a white background. They should be better visible

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Failed to initialize Roles and Features

I can't access Roles and Features from the Windows Admin Center I get this error.
    Failed to initialize Roles and Features, Error: RemoteException: Exception calling "Translate" with "1" argument(s): "Some or all identity references could not be translated."

This machine is a domain controller and I have seen on this site that it should work with a newer version of WAC. I have Version 2009 Build 1.2.2009.21002. Administering Server 2019

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. [Multi-Machine] Allow multiple servers to be configured at once

Allow the opportunity to install / manage the same roles or features across multiple servers at once.

Example. 10 host hyper-v cluster. Allow hyper-v role to be installed with default settings to all 10 hosts at once.

Add the Failover cluster role to all 10 servers at once.

Install file server services to multiple hosts at once, etc.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. [UI] Do not show the tools if it does not apply to the particular server.

Do not show the tools if it does not apply to the particular server.

When a Domain Controller is not hyper-v host, I do not want to see tools like Virtual Machines and Virtual Switches.

I would only like to see the tools that apply to the server, tools that belong to the installed roles and features. On a Domain Controller managment tools such as ADDS, DNS DHCP and a file server DFS and File and Resource management.

43 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. [Roles and Features] Unavailable Sources such as .NET Framework 3.5

I wanted to install .NET Framework 3.5 Features. When I clicked on it, it said "Nothing to Install: None of the selected roles and features are available to be installed .... " When I check the Roles & Features it says .NET Framework 3.5 ==> Removed. Does it mean we cannot install 3.5 at all? Kindly clarify

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. WAC should

WAC should be able to manage Server Roles and features. Like DNS, DHCP etc.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. [Roles and Features] Why can't you take the server manager roles & feature install/Removal and add it to WAC ???

BASIC of Server Manager:

Why can't you take the server manager roles & feature install/Removal and add it to WAC ???

Windows Server is about ROLES & FEATURES,
    putting the binaries for a role on a server without configuring it is useless. Every role & feature on win server has a few configs that is needed to be completely install, Microsoft known these configs & can ask for them upfront, so WHY ?????

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Remote Exception

If I go on "Roles and Features" I get a Remote Exception (see pict attached).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Windows Admin Center  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. FEATURE REQUEST - WAC 2012 preview - Roles and Features - Search / Sort / Filter

Affected build: Windows Admin Center 2012 Preview Build 1.3.2012.11003
    Plugin name: -
    plugin version: -
    severity: -
    reproducible: x out of 5
    easy to fix: yes (Powershell cmdls)
    Managed OS: Server + Windows 10

Please implement following features as common in other parts of WAC

https://.../servermanager/connections/server/../tools/rolesfeatures

> make sortable by name or State or type
    > make a full text search available
    > make it possible to filter for installed, available, removed roles and features

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. ISSUE - WAC 2012 preview - Windows 10 - Roles and features - does not leverage DisplayName

Affected build: Windows Admin Center 2012 Preview Build 1.3.2012.11003
    Plugin name: -
    plugin version: -
    severity: high (usability is very low)
    reproducible: 5 out of 5
    easy to fix: yes (Powershell cmdls)
    Managed OS: Windows 10

related:
    https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295071-management-tools/suggestions/42746888-feature-request-wac-2012-roles-and-features

current behaviour:
    roles and features in Windows 10 are displayed by the Powershell Names

expected behaviour:
    they should be displayed in the table by their displaynames just as when you manage Windows Server

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. [Overview] How do you manually add tools for Roles and Features that Windows Admin Center didnt install?

Make tools for Roles available to add if the role is installed already. Admin center only seems to install tools for roles it installs. I have Hyper-v host that I cant seem to get the management tools available in Admin center.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base