Clustering

1. Provide better control around grouping, starting of VMs and dependencies between VMs

The only way to control start order of VMs in a failover cluster is to use a timeout in seconds. This is not very practical with many VMs that need to start in a particular order and are dependent on other VMs or groups of VMs.
    Please implement the notion of a VM Group with the ability to set a start order, timeout per VM, timeout per Group and if possible a test if the VM is operational before the dependent VM or Group can start.
    An example of a complex starting order is Azure Pack and all its interdependencies…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Virtualization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. S2D within two-node cluster

Storage Spaces Direct should support two-node cluster which would enable Hyper-V deployment and basic HA without shared storage (single point of failure and expensive piece of equipment for small deployments). It could support only mirroring, actually two way sync between nodes. This way we could move VMs from one node to another and have high availability.

[Edited by NedPyle [MSFT] at request of feedback creator]

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Hyperconverged  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. live shrinking CSV disk

I can extend a cluster shared volume live. But I can not shrink it. In order to do this, I have to take the whole disk out of clustering, shrink it in disk manager, and add it back again. The data on the volume will not be available while it is out of the cluster. (hyperv servers vhd files)
    Strange one could extend, but not shrink a CSV (unknown filesystem format????)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. VM Placement Without System Center

A necessary business feature is the ability to dynamically place VMs on different nodes, via Live Migration, based on host load, i.e. load balancing. Currently this is only possible with SCVMM, but it doesn't work very well, and only a small percentage of customers have SysCtr licensing. This is why I would like VM load balancing to be a native feature of Failover Clustering.

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Virtualization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base