PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.

Please feel free to provide feedback or file bugs here.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add maintenance window awareness to DSC / LCM

Votes from Connect: 17

Original Date Submitted: 8/13/2015 12:17:49 AM

Description:
    ********Contact Information********
    Handle: PowerShellDon
    Site Name: PowerShell
    Feedback ID: 1659904

Problem Description:
    Suggestion one:

Add maintenance window awareness to the Local Configuration Manager. Edited via metaconfig, it specifies times when configuration changes are acceptable, when automated reboots are acceptable. Further automates configuration maintenance especially when you're implementing changes vs. correcting drift.

Suggestion two:

Add universal "DoNotImplementBefore" and "ImplementBy" settings to DSC resources. Just as "Present=" specifies to add/remove something, these would indicate a date/time for the setting to become valid (e.g., "we want to implement a bunch of…

91 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • OpenSource the Pull Server

Advances to the current PullServer are, quite frankly, slow and moving in a direction questionable to most MVPs. Microsoft should follow their own lead they took with the DSC modules: opensource it and place it on GitHub so that the community can invest in making a tool that we'd actually like to use.

Example of features still missing that everyone wants:
      1. certificate management (use self-signed or pki)
      2. web interface for compliance reporting

Example of features added that are questionable/actually bad ideas:
      1. partial configurations (multiple pull server sources, mofs, and reports all being _managed_ by the node? who…

61 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Justin,

We totally understand that a robust Pull server / central management solution is something that is critical to your success with DSC. We have invested quite heavily in Azure Automation DSC (AA DSC) to fill many of these needs. With that said, I would be very interested to understand if the AA DSC solution does not work for you (and other customers) and why? Vote and comment if this is important to you.

Also interesting feedback on our ‘bad ideas’. Thanks!

MarkG

• Add DSC Pull Server with Private PowerShell Gallery as a deployment option

With PowerShell gallery coming to on-prem deployments, it will be a source of PowerShell DSC and other modules for all enterprise IT needs. PowerShell gallery uses SQL backend as a module store. There has been an ask to move the existing Pull Server database to SQL. By integrating Pull Server as a deployment option within PowerShell Gallery, the existing SQL store can be used as module and configuration store and eliminates the need for making a copy of all modules on a separate pull server. This also brings in the advantages / well-known deployment models of a typical web application…

48 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Change from edb file to SQL Server database for Desired State Configuration Pull services

Votes from Connect: 6

Original Date Submitted: 4/25/2015 5:54:58 AM

Description:
          Handle: Ihadadream
          Feedback ID: 1275973

Problem Description:
          If Pull services databases change to SQL Server, we could have high availability and build a real pull infrastructure. It also brings possibility to have tierce applications that read datas and build reports using SSRS, etc.

Product Studio item created by Connect Synchronizer due to creation of feedback ID 1275973 (http://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=1275973).

Repro Steps:

Internal BugId: 14408

45 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is something that we are looking into. For the time being and for folks who are able to connect servers to the Cloud, Azure Automation DSC is a full DSC Pull Server that provides a lot of benefits including the scalability that SQL would provide.

If AA DSC cannot work for you / your organization please provide feedback here and vote to help us understand and prioritize our work going forward.

Thanks for helping make DSC Great!!
            MarkG

• Enable service restart and similar scenarios in DSC configurations

Renamed from "Provide additional resource control methods in DSC" for clarity
            Votes from Connect: 13

Original Date Submitted: 5/28/2015 12:15:20 AM

Description:
            Handle: Ben Gelens
            Feedback ID: 1373894

Problem Description:
            Scenario:
            A MOF file is compiled for a node serving a website. The service resource is used to declare the W3SVC service to be started and the file resource is used to copy in the web content.
            Next an update is deployed to the website by compiling a new MOF file and for the new content to become active, the W3SVC service needs to…

45 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  3 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Add a GET function to DSC Report Server Webservice

Add a GET method to the DSC webservice so that we can query the database for data other than individual node data which you have to know the Agent ID. If I want to build status dashbaord for all of my DSC nodes I then have to store and manage Agent ID's in another CMDB so I can query the webservice individually for each agent status. We used to have this capability in WMF 4 but it seems this is no longer possible with the reporting changes in WMF 5.

See https://github.com/PowerShell/xPSDesiredStateConfiguration/issues/98
              and https://github.com/dfinke/ODataExplorer/issues/1

40 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • DSC: Should allow Credentials with Blank Passwords, so you can use GMSA accounts

For some reason DSC errors out with a credential object contains a null password. Unfortunately that is the mechanism use to set group managed service accounts.
                Here is a link to a relevant bug in xWebAdministration: https://github.com/PowerShell/xWebAdministration/issues/80#issuecomment-171364644

And here is an example of the output your recieve when you attempt to use a managed service account:

"VERBOSE: [COMPUTERNAME]: LCM: [ End Test ] [[xWebAppPool]testpool] in 0.0070 seconds.
                The password supplied to the Desired State Configuration resource MSFT_xWebAppPool is not valid. The password cannot be null or empty.
                + CategoryInfo : InvalidResult: (:) [], CimException
                + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidPassword
                + PSComputerName…

29 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! I have personally heard this request from a number of customers. IMHO having the ability to use GMS accounts would be a quite useful in DSC configurations. If this is an important feature for you as well, vote it up so that we can appropriately prioritize it as we move forward.

MarkG

• Returning information from DSC Resource to another

I know this has been discussed, just wanted to make sure to have it in UserVoice. It would be great if it was possible to return information from a resources, so that a later resource could use that information for configuration at runtime.

Example. My configuration apply a new certificate. I would like to write a resource that can get the new certificate thumbprint so that a future resources in the config can use that thumbprint. This is something that Chef allows.

So, something like a global variable that lives during runtime of the config.

Thanks for considering!!

28 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  4 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • DSC ESENT Database management

In a recent change, the new database for the on-prem Pullserver is now ESENT. Had a question for clarification.

As an old Exchange guy, I have fears that immediately pop into mind. The logs files do not appear to be using circular logging (a way of self cleaning and restricting the amount of log files) – Is this true?

If so, then I’m guess that the log files will continue to grow until the disk is full – which happens to exchange if the log files are not truncated. Is there a way today or in the future we will…

28 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  5 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Execute indepenent dsc steps in parallel

Votes from Connect: 3

Original Date Submitted: 6/8/2015 2:40:45 PM

Description:
                      Handle: aL3891
                      Feedback ID: 1411231

Problem Description:
                      At the moment all dsc resources are executed serially. given that dependencies are allready specified, it would in theory be safe to execute steps in parallel.

I'm guessing this is planned at some point but i could really use a way to enable parallel execution because I'm using dsc to spin up test environments with a bunch of services and having those being set up in parallel would speed things up considerably.

Product Studio item created…

27 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • LCM Extensible Architecture - PowerShell

Type: Feature Request
                        Summary: Make LCM extensible simply by adding a psm1 in a folder, which will be loaded automatically.
                        Details here: https://github.com/gaelcolas/LCM_ExtensibleArch

Here's the workflow:
                        1. LCM loads a psm1 file(s) from a pre-defined directory (or defined in LCM meta-configuration).
                        2. Every LCM events are triggered and forwarded into the extensions' session
                        3. $Global variables of the extension should be accessible from the Test/Set/Get methods of the DSC Resource
                        3. The author of the PSM1 extension register-EngineEvent for required LCM Events
                        4. He defines Event Handlers Actions that can call psm1's exported functions

Having this extensible architecture would allow…

23 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Enable proactive validation of partial configuration MOFs

Votes from Connect: 15

Original Date Submitted: 9/15/2015 8:25:40 PM

Description:
                          Handle: PowerShellDon
                          Feedback ID: 1792984

Problem Description:
                          Currently, the only validation of partial configuration MOFs is in the client (LCM). If multiple MOFs are combined and there's a duplicate key situation, the LCM ceases processing. Having this happen on the target node - with no proactive change to catch the problem - is extremely undesirable, and doesn't set the stage for top-level manageability.

I suggest refactoring that logic from the LCM into a standalone API. The LCM could then call that API to…

22 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Allow DSC Reports to include ResourcesNotInDesiredState that were corrected during a consistency check

Currently if a node is set up to ApplyAndAutoCorrect, when the report is sent back to the report server, there is no reference to any resources that were out of desired state at the time of the consistency check. DSC will just put them back in desired state without reporting what it did. For compliance reasons, we would like to be able to query the report server to see if any resources had to be put back into desired state.

21 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Convert Group Policy to use PowerShell DSC

I think it's time for an overhaul of Group Policy and GP Preferences. You can still keep the GUI to allow everyone to have something familiar, but I would love to see if Group Policy can be converted to start using PowerShell DSC under the hood. I think this would make things much simpler in terms of deployment and wouldn't require logon/logoff or restarts anymore (unless you wanted a script to run at those times). For everything else like IE/Edge settings, registry settings, mapped drives/printers, desktop backgrounds and such I think having everything exposed in PowerShell would both make it…

19 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

thanks for the feedback. I have moved this to the DSC forum as this is a request for a DSC resource.
                                Are there any policy settings in particular that you are interested in managing with DSC?
                                Are you only looking for registry policy?

• Shared Partial Configurations (ConfigurationNames) and encrypted credentials.

At the moment to use encrypted credentials in partial configurations with ConfigurationNames it is necessary to share certificate across all nodes, else decryption will fail. I believe it should be technically possible to use more dynamic approach:
                                - encrypt MOF with certificate for which pull server has private key
                                - during registration client would send over certificate for which it has private key so that pull server can encrypt any credentials in the mofs sent to this node with this certificate.

At the moment it's manual labour on the operators side: make sure that encrypt/decrypt just works. It would be…

17 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Compiling large number of DSC MOF files is slow

We use logic to dynamically compose a ConfigurationData structure and pass it to the configuration. This logic executes quickly. Calling the configuration generates more than 5,000 MOF files for unique nodes. The process takes 1.5 hours on modern server-class hardware with 16GB RAM. Also, the MOF files are all created at the end of the process, rather than one-at-a-time throughout the process. This causes high memory usage. Please optimize the PSDesiredStateConfiguration module to generate large quantities of MOF files more quickly. This issue adds significant delay to the DSC pipeline.

15 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Allow LCM to accomodate module dependencies that get installed by earlier steps in the configuration

Currently, if you have a configuration that installs a Windows feature then has another step that configures settings using a module that gets installed with that particular feature, the LCM fails its check because that module is not currently present on the node.

For example, we have a configuration that installs the Web-Server role. There are later steps which use the xWebAdministration resource to configure things like Application Pools and Application Pool defaults. The problem is, when the LCM pulls the configuration and runs it's checks, it fails because the xWebAdministration resource uses cmdlets that are present in the WebAdministration…

15 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• ConfigurationAST should include resource modules being imported

The ConfigurationAST added in v4 for PowerShell DSC does a good job at providing resource configuration details. However, to determine what modules are being imported, we should still use the keyword AST to find the resource module names from the Import-DSCResource command. While this is a workaround, it will be easier if ConfigurationAST can provide this information for simplicity.

13 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Bug: Trouble Setting LCM for Partial Configurations

I've been unable to set partial configurations with WMF 5 PP, so I waited to RTM to see if it was resolved. It's not. I originally posted on powershell.org but without success. Here's the original post and link:

I'm using WMF 5 Production Preview on Server 2012 R2, trying to set a node to use Partial Configurations. I've tried with a remote node and localhost, but all give an error. Sample config (I've tried a few variations, with more or less partial configs):

[DSCLocalConfigurationManager()]
                                        configuration foo
                                        {

Node localhost
                                        {

PartialConfiguration SomeConfig
                                        {
                                        RefreshMode = 'Push'
                                        }
                                        }
                                        }

foo…

12 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Enable PowerShell module auto-discovery in DSC

I recently discovered that in my DSC resource I can't call a powershell cmdlet that internally calls into another powershell cmdlet - that fails because DSC doesn’t explicitly import the full powershell module, but only imports specific .psm1 files.

Note, same (cmdlet calling another cmdlet) works perfectly fine when executed from Powershell cmd prompt. Let's fix it for DSC.

12 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback!

Based on its current ranking compared to other feedback items and product schedule, work on this item is pending (and will be driven by) further customer input. If you did not open this issue and are also impacted by it, please vote this item up.

MarkG

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base