PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Use URI for DSC File Resource Source

Ability to use a URI or URL as the source using the DSC File Resource to download from HTTP or HTTPS.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. DSC StatusRetentionTimeInDays is not deleting files

WMF 5 RTM

StatusRetentionTimeInDays is not deleting files in C:\Windows\System32\Configuration\ConfigurationStatus as per http://powershell.org/forums/topic/cwindowssystem32configurationconfigurationstatus-directory-growing/#post-40747

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Start-DscConfiguration over secure WinRM (HTTPS / 5986) without needing to provide the Cim-Session

referring to my post here. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41567036/start-dsc-configuration-securely-usessl-without-needing-to-provide-the-compute

Having the ability to continue using the ConfigurationData with multiple nodes and use a secure session (WinRM over 5986)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Invoke-DSCResource on WindowsFeatureSet fails

As subject says. Example is below

PS C:\Windows\system32> Invoke-DscResource -Name WindowsFeatureSet -Property @{Name = "Storage-Services"; Ensure = "Present" } -Method test -ModuleName PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Invoke-DscResource : Failed to serialize properties into CimInstance.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Invoke-DscResource -Name WindowsFeatureSet -Property @{Name = "Storag ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Invoke-DscResource], SerializationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException,Microsoft.PowerShell.DesiredStateConfiguration.C

ommands.InvokeDscResourceMethodCommand

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    survey  ·  Mark Gray responded

Thanks for the feedback! Based on its current ranking compared to other feedback items and product schedule, work on this item is pending (and will be driven by) further customer input. If you did not open this issue and are also impacted by it, please vote this item up.

MarkG

5. Enable service restart and similar scenarios in DSC configurations

Renamed from "Provide additional resource control methods in DSC" for clarity
    Votes from Connect: 13

Original Date Submitted: 5/28/2015 12:15:20 AM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: Ben Gelens
    Site Name: PowerShell
    Feedback ID: 1373894

Problem Description:
    Scenario:
    A MOF file is compiled for a node serving a website. The service resource is used to declare the W3SVC service to be started and the file resource is used to copy in the web content.
    Next an update is deployed to the website by compiling a new MOF file and for the new content to become active, the W3SVC service needs to be…

73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow variable input to be passed to import-dscresource

To keep configurations and composite resources as modular as possible, we should be able to pass an array of module specifications as a parameter.

Consider the following:

[Parameter()]

[System.Collections.Hashtable[]]

$DscResourcesToImport = @(
    @{ModuleName='xPSDesiredStateConfiguration'; ModuleVersion='3.9.0.0'},
    @{ModuleName='xComputerManagement'; ModuleVersion='1.4.0.0'}
    )
    )

foreach ($Resource in $DscResourcesToImport)
    {
    $ModuleSpec = @{ModuleName="$Resource.ModuleName"; ModuleVersion="$Resource.ModuleVersion"}
    Import-DscResource -ModuleName $ModuleSpec
    }

This fails with the error: "Arguments must be constant"

Thanks for considering this.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. allow DSC nodes to download meta configuration

when wmf4 initially launched, you could place meta.mof files into the pull server along side the default mof and both would be downloaded by the node and applied. This was rather ideal, as it meant I could create standard LCM configurations, and easily update/enforce them.

For some reason, this seems to no longer work in WMF5.0. This should be returned. Anyone who's had to edit the settings of hundreds (thousands?) of agents should understand it's way easier to tweak one property.

Real world example: ask anyone who's ever had to reconfigure the the SCCM agent cache. It's a needlessly complex…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Justin,

Thanks for you feedback! I What types of things do you find yourself needing to manage in the meta-config after initial deployment? This is not to take away from the need for this, I want to better understand how you and other customers are / want to use it.

Regards,

MarkG

8. Convert Group Policy to use PowerShell DSC

I think it's time for an overhaul of Group Policy and GP Preferences. You can still keep the GUI to allow everyone to have something familiar, but I would love to see if Group Policy can be converted to start using PowerShell DSC under the hood. I think this would make things much simpler in terms of deployment and wouldn't require logon/logoff or restarts anymore (unless you wanted a script to run at those times). For everything else like IE/Edge settings, registry settings, mapped drives/printers, desktop backgrounds and such I think having everything exposed in PowerShell would both make it…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Enable proactive validation of partial configuration MOFs

Votes from Connect: 15

Original Date Submitted: 9/15/2015 8:25:40 PM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: PowerShellDon
    Feedback ID: 1792984

Problem Description:
    Currently, the only validation of partial configuration MOFs is in the client (LCM). If multiple MOFs are combined and there's a duplicate key situation, the LCM ceases processing. Having this happen on the target node - with no proactive change to catch the problem - is extremely undesirable, and doesn't set the stage for top-level manageability.

I suggest refactoring that logic from the LCM into a standalone API. The LCM could then call that API to do…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Generate DSC from existing servers

For those of us with heavily-configured snowflake servers, it would great if it were possible to generate DSC files from existing builds. This may not be possible in all areas, but perhaps a subset of areas could be supported, with IIS 7.0+ at the top of the list.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  3 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. [Bug] Creating Local Users Fails Test-DSCConfiguration if the Users are Disabled

I can successfully create a disabled local user account on a non-domain joined server which has a password policy enforced.

If I try to create the disabled account with out a password, or one in violation of the policy, the configuration fails. This is expected.

If I create a disabled local user account with a password that meets the requirements, the configuration applies. When I run Test-DSCConfiguration the test fails with:
    PowerShell DSC resource MSFT_UserResource failed to execute Test-TargetResource functionality with error message:
    There could be a possible connection error while trying to use the System.DirectoryServices API's.Exception calling
    "ValidateCredentials" with…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Phil,

Sounds like a valid bug. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I have opened a bug in our internal system to track this to resolution.

MarkG

12. Bug: DSC error when executing configuratin with Set-PSDebug -Strict - "$notAllowedValue cannot be retrieved because it has not been set"

When you execute a configuration .ps1 script with Set-PSDebug -Strict turned on, you get the following error:

PSDesiredStateConfiguration\Node : The variable '$notAllowedValue' cannot be retrieved because it has not been set.

I can work around this by using the following code snippet:

Set-PSDebug -Off
    $mofFile = SetPullMode -ComputerName $comp -OutputPath $mofFilePath -ConfigurationId $ConfigurationId -Thumbprint $cert.Thumbprint -PullserverUri $PullServerUri
    Set-PSDebug -Strict

This sounds like a scoping issue in DSC somewhere with the notAllowedValue variable.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

In Queue  ·  1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Test-DscConfiguration fails once running against remote machine

Having the following script:

configuration SimpleConfig2
    {

Import-DscResource –ModuleName 'PSDesiredStateConfiguration'

node $remoteCommputer
    {
    Environment TestVersion
    {
    Ensure = "Present" # You can also set Ensure to "Absent"
    Name = "TestEnvironmentVariable"
    Value = "TestValue2"
    }
    }

}

SimpleConfig2

Start-DSCConfiguration -Path "SimpleConfig2" -Force -Wait -ComputerName $remoteCommputer -Credential $g_AutomationDefaultVMAccounCred -verbose

$result = Test-DscConfiguration -Path "SimpleConfig2" -ComputerName $remoteCommputer -Credential $g_AutomationDefaultVMAccounCred

The config is applied correctly, yet Test-DscConfiguration fails with the following message:

The configurationData parameter is reserved for future use. The current configuration is used by default.

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (root/Microsoft/...gurationManager:String) [], CimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 4
    + PSComputerName : target-machine
    1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  Mark Gray responded

Anton,

I am not able to reproduce your issue. What PS / WMF version are you running into this on? Also what OSes are running on the local and remote machines?

MarkG

14. IncludeManagementTools in WindowsFeature

Votes from Connect: 10

Original Date Submitted: 9/2/2014 3:45:04 AM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: Andrew Barnes
    Feedback ID: 961489

Frequency: Always Happens
    Regression: I don

Problem Description:
    Could the WindowsFeature resource be updated to have the IncludeManagementTools switch.

(it's a quick win) ;)

Product Studio item created by Connect Synchronizer due to creation of feedback ID 961489 (http://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=961489).

Repro Steps:
    PS > Get-DscResource windowsfeature -Syntax
    WindowsFeature [string] #ResourceName
    {

Name = [string]

[ Credential = [PSCredential] ]
    [ DependsOn = [string[]] ]
    [ Ensure = [string] { Absent | Present } ]
    [ IncludeAllSubFeature =
    4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Reset LCM configuration

Reset LCM configuration.

Hi and sorry for my funny English.
    When I configure my LCM, it's impossible to reset state.
    If I want a default configuration, I send a new configuration this default value for all Settings (here, no value, just settings).

[DscLocalConfigurationManager()]
    Configuration ResetLCM {

Node MyNode {

Settings {
    ActionAfterReboot =
    AllowModuleOverwrite =
    CertificateID =
    ConfigurationDownloadManagers =
    ConfigurationID =
    ConfigurationMode =
    ConfigurationModeFrequencyMins =
    DebugMode =
    MaximumDownloadSizeMB =
    RebootNodeIfNeeded =
    RefreshFrequencyMins =
    RefreshMode =
    ReportManagers =
    ResourceModuleManagers =
    SignatureValidations =
    StatusRetentionTimeInDays =
    }}

I think it's easier to use command.

For example, there is a reset configuration for DSCConfigurationDocument. …

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Test-DscConfiguration returns a String instead of a Boolean value

Test-DscConfiguration returns a String instead of a Boolean value.

Contrary to what is mentionned in the documentation, the function Test-DscConfiguration does not return a boolean value.

When you do a GetType() of the return value of Test-DscConfiguration you get a string with 'true' or 'false'.

It's impossible to do a simple if (Test-DscConfiguration) because the string 'false' enter inside the if, we are forced to cast the return value of this cmdlet in boolean or to do the comparison with -eq $True, which seems to cast it automatically.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Fix Add-DnsServerResourceRecord TXT Records Limit

When attempting to add a TXT DNS record via the "Add-DnsServerResourceRecord" command, the DescriptiveText property only accepts strings up to 254 characters but should support up to 255 characters. Ideally the command should accept an array for the DescriptiveText so that multiple lines of up to 255 characters can be passed through. Currently it requires using rn to insert a line break but over all must still be under 254 characters. This is an issue as we are trying to implement automation around TXT records and DKIM records tend to be well over this 254 character limit and require…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. ¿Pienso?

Creo, que si los Hispano-Hablantes, pudiesen tener acceso a los comentarios e ideas que la gente detendrían mas de 1000.000.000, si en números, Por favor empecemos por respetar a todos, no solo los Anglo-Sajones, y la gente de sus colonias (coman GUEL ) lo pongo en Español, por dignidad, Creo (estoy, seguro) que pagan lo mismo.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. At line:4 char:1 + Import-DscResource -ModuleName cNtfsAccessControl + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Could not find the

Can you provide solution for this error.
    I am getting it even after i downloaded NTFS security files.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. MICROSOFT RAILWAY CORPORATION

Now at this time called India,Pakistan & Bangladesh whose name was India.Yow know there are a lot of spaces for travelling.Indian Microsoft will be set up, a open independent Railway corp in the Whole India.Its will be a great way for our child,brother,sister,parents & all classes people.If Microsoft will be set up that way,many peoples will be satisfied for the way.& besides the way,many grounds are so many blank to a few year.There will be growing a lots of food & this foods will suppliers the Whole World.Otherwise,there are will be planning many trouthfull industries for our peoples worktivities.Trust,that IDEA…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base