PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. #Group resource fails to add a domain user\group when a domain user\group exists

Cannot enforce a domain user or domain group in a local group when the group contains any domain member. Example. local TestGroup contains domain\user1 and domain\user2. If domain\user1 is removed from TestGroup, DSC configuration cannot add domain\user1 back to TestGroup using the Group resource.

Group TestGroup5
    {
    GroupName = 'TestGroup5'
    Ensure = 'Present'
    MembersToInclude = user1@domain.com','user2@domain.com'
    Credential = $DomainCredential
    }

Is this a bug?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Invoke-DscResource String to Boolean conversion Failure

Invoking command:

Invoke-DscResource -Name cDtc -Method Test -Property @{'Name'='Local';'Ensure'='Present';'AuthenticationLevel'='NoAuth';'Status'='Started';'InboundTransactionsEnabled'='True';'OutboundTransactionsEnabled'='True';'RemoteClientAccessEnabled'='True';'RemoteAdministrationAccessEnabled'='False';'XATransactionsEnabled'='True';'LUTransactionsEnabled'='False'} -ModuleName cDtcResource

Cause PowerShell to fail.

Convert property 'OutboundTransactionsEnabled' value from type 'STRING' to type 'BOOLEAN' failed
    At line:17, char:2
    Buffer:
    essEnabled = "False";
    };^

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. BUG: Cim instances are not compiled correctly into MOF

I'm trying to create a function that returns the bindinginfo for a website. This is intended to reduce the complexity of my dsc resource file that will have 20/30 websites with similar bindinginfo based on the node name. Anyway, it seems like the dsc compiler doesn't support cim instances. Doing the same thing with credentials actually works, so I wonder why this is the case for binding infos.

This is an example to reproduce the problem

configuration DscTest
    {
    Import-DscResource -ModuleName xWebAdministration;

Node localhost
    {

xWebsite TestWebSite

{
    Ensure = "Present"
    Name = "TestWebSite"
    PhysicalPath = "C:\inetpub\test"
    BindingInfo = (Get-TestBindingInformation
    4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    survey  ·  Zachary Alexander responded

Can you take a look below and leave a comment to let me know if the workaround is sufficient for your purposes? If so, I will close this item. If not, I will keep it marked as survey.

4. GetResourceState in DSC Proxy class should use TestConfiguration

In WMF 5 RTM, for the cross-machine synchronization, the WaitForX resources (GetResourceState) use the configuration state cache to return the resource state to the remote node using WaitForX. This is incorrect. This may return the resource state in no time but it is not always accurate and will have impact on the configuration waiting on the resource state.

For example, consider that there is a web server waiting on the SQL AlwaysOn cluster resource on a remote system. Now, consider that the remote SQL cluster resource went into a non-functional state for some reason and there was no DSC consistency…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow dot sourcing PowerShell Classes based DSC Resources into the psm1 module file

WMF 5.0 lets you create DSC Resources using Powershell Classes like so:

[DscResource()]
    class MyDSCResource
    {
    }

But right now it will only look in the .psm1 file. If you try to dot source a class based DSC resource into the .psm1 file then Get-DSCResource can't find it and it can't be used in DSC configurations.

We have many DSC resources combined into a single module, and our .psm1 file is getting difficult to manage. If two people are working on different resources they are likely to have a git merge conflict.

We would prefer to have…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are working on enabling support for multiple psm1 files. This will allow you to group different class-based DSC resources into different files.

6. Class based DSC Description Attribute

Add a description Attribute or extend the DscProperty and DscResource attributes to allow for descriptions that should be surfaced in the generated MOF file.

Looking at how the MOF file is currently generated using Reflection this should be easy to implement.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow ConfigurationModeFrequencyMins < 15 and RefreshFrequencyMins< 30

Hi,
    as I am using DSC to deploy fresh clouds and as I have some nodes and resources dependancies, I have to wait for nodes to report, and then nodes to deploy.
    Because ConfigurationModeFrequencyMins and RefreshFrequencyMins minimum are very large, fresh cloud deployments take some time.

Please allow minimums as 1

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. BUG: WMF 5.0 RTM Encrypted MOFs copied to Windows temp directory in plain text

Running on Windows 2012 R2 servers.

MOFs and their checksums seem to be getting copied to the Windows temp directory on target nodes in plain text. The files below show up on nodes that have had their configurations deployed via either the push or pull methods.

C:\Windows\Temp##############\localhost.mof
    C:\Windows\Temp##############\localhost.mof.checksum

The configuration MOFs in C:\Windows\System32\Configuration look like they are encrypted correctly.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Partial Configurations should support validating ExclusiveResource reservations during publish or pull

In the current implementation for Partial Configurations, the ExclusiveResources in the configuration fragment can be used to reserve resource modules or resources to a specific fragment. However, this is not validated until runtime. So, if there are two fragments that are using same resource modules and one fragment has those resources exclusively locked, the configuration enact will fail during runtime.

These exclusive resource reservation checks should be done either at the publish time (push) or before enacting the configuration after a pull is complete.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Using hashes inside Composite Resources

Instead of using 20 "single" Service Resource, we can now use ServiceSet, however its only if the parameters for the services are the same like State for example.

IF i have 10 services i want their state to be Started and 10 i want to be stopped , i have to use 2 ServiceSets.

Would be helpful to be able to use just one Service set, but then have the parametes use either positional values or allow hashing

ServiceSet ServiceSetComposite{
    Name ='AudioSrv','WinMgmt'
    State='Started','Stopped'
    Ensure='Present'
    }

or
    (bit better as it allows Ensure to be taken into calculation

Service…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Multiple configuration slots

I would welcome the possibility for multiple configuration slots on a single node. This would enable scenarios like:
    Desired state for the Node itself in slot 1
    Proxy state in slot 2
    One-time configurations in slot 3

This would make it possible to separate the state and governance of the node configuration from, for example, a one-time user account create in AD.
    Slot 1 would contain Domain Controller configuration in ApplyAndAutoCorrect mode and slot 2 would execute the creation of a new user and once converged, removes it.

Same goes for my laptop. 1 slot for node configuration and 1…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. DSC File Resource Recurse directory description is wrong

The documentation for the DSC File Resource states that the Recurse is a) only valid for directories and b) only for sub-directories. This would imply that any files in a SourcePath would be copied. However, they are not. $Recurse has to be $true to pull files. If not, it just makes sure the directory exists.

However, this requires that I have the whole recursive directory kept on my sourcepath as well vs. just a few files.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Test-PartialConfiguration / LCM Test Server

When using Partial Configurations, add a Test-PartialConfiguration command that accepts the mof files and checks for problems before sending it to the LCM.

I can run pester tests on each of the configuration scripts as part of my pipeline to make sure each of them are ok as single files, but to actually see what happens on the LCM and how it combines the mofs would requires like a LCM TestServer without actually enacting on the real node.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Remove Dependency on TLS 1.0 for HTTPS Pull Server

After disabling TLS 1.0 on our Pull Server and nodes, the nodes are unable to re-register with the Pull Server. This is keeping us from making changes to the LCM on nodes.

I have posted on PowerShell.org forum about this:
    http://powershell.org/wp/forums/topic/tls-1-0-required-for-https-pull-server/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. DSC File Resource - Modify Attributes Without Having to Delete

File resource does not allow modifications to the target without first having to delete the target.

Example:
    File HiddenFiles {

DestinationPath = &quot;C:\Deploy\HiddenFile.txt&quot;

Contents = &quot;HiddenFile Contents&quot;
    Attributes = &quot;ReadOnly&quot;,&quot;Hidden&quot;,&quot;System&quot;
    Ensure = &quot;Present&quot;

}

This should change the file attributes but it doesn't unless the file is manually deleted

File resource does not allow modifications to the target without first having to delete the target.

Example:
    File HiddenFiles {

DestinationPath = &quot;C:\Deploy\HiddenFile.txt&quot;

Contents = &quot;HiddenFile Contents&quot;
    Attributes = &quot;ReadOnly&quot;
    Ensure = &quot;Present&quot;

}

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    investigating  ·  Mark Gray responded

Josh,

Thanks for the feedback. The file resource should set the attributes on an existing file. I have not been able to duplicate your issue in Windows 10. If you are still experiencing it, please add more details.

Thanks,

MarkG

16. Control in Composite Resources

Add option to use DependsOn inside a Composite Resource, between the inner members of the resource. Like in ServiceSet, running it with multiple services i cant use the DependsOn commands. Would be nice if i could do this:

Name='audiosrv','winmgmt'
    Ensure='Present'
    Order = 'winmgmt',*
    }
    As in the order i want the services to be done is winmgmt first, then what ever comes after and then * to symbol the rest of the services

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Enable PowerShell module auto-discovery in DSC

I recently discovered that in my DSC resource I can't call a powershell cmdlet that internally calls into another powershell cmdlet - that fails because DSC doesn’t explicitly import the full powershell module, but only imports specific .psm1 files.

Note, same (cmdlet calling another cmdlet) works perfectly fine when executed from Powershell cmd prompt. Let's fix it for DSC.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  Mark Gray responded

Thank you for your feedback!

Based on its current ranking compared to other feedback items and product schedule, work on this item is pending (and will be driven by) further customer input. If you did not open this issue and are also impacted by it, please vote this item up.

MarkG

18. BUG: Using ConfigurationNames generates a weak certificate

If a Node is configured using a RegistrationKey so that ConfigurationNames can be used, then the CertificateID attribute is ignored under the ConfigurationRepositoryWeb block, and instead a self-signed certificate is generated called "DSC-OaaS".

This certificate is used for both client authentication to the pull server as well as encrypting configuration Mofs at rest on the server host.

The problem is two fold:

1. Becuase the CertificateID gets ignored when using CONfigurationNames, admins cannot control the key length or encryption of the files.

2. The certificate generated is a SHA-1 1024bit length. This is completely unacceptable as 1024 went out of use years…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Get-DSCResource -Syntax for WindowsFeatureSet incorrect

Get-DscResource for WindowsFeatureSet showing "ensure" parameter as being optional, while it's actually required

<PRE>

PS C:\windows\system32> get-dscresource windowsfeatureset -Syntax
    WindowsFeatureSet [String] #ResourceName
    {

[DependsOn = [String[]]]

Name = [String[]]
    [Ensure = [String]]
    [Source = [String]]
    [IncludeAllSubFeature = [Boolean]]
    [Credential = [PSCredential]]
    [LogPath = [String]]

}
    </PRE>

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  Mark Gray responded

Thanks for the feedback, Gregory! This certainly is a bug albeit a little different that what you have described. The Ensure property should be optional but it should default to ‘Present’ if it is not provided just like the underlying resource does. I have opened a bug for this.

MarkG

20. Having ";" in PSModulePath breaks Get-DSCResource cmdlet

If your PSModulePath ends with ";" then Get-DSCResource fails on line 3810 which is using Test-path to check empty path with no -ErrorActionVariable set will always fail

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base