PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ValidatePattern doesn't work as expected in class based DSC resources

When using ValidatePattern in a class based resource, this should be evaluated once the configuration is generated. However, it's only evaluated the moment the LCM tries to apply the configuration, which then throws a not very helpful 'Failed to create an object of PowerShell class InsertNameOfClassHere' if the ValidatePattern check returns false.

Demo code:
    [DscResource()]
    Class MyClass {

[DscProperty(Key)]

[ValidatePattern('Client|Server')]
    [string]$Input

[myclass] Get () {
    $Class = $This.Input
    return [myclass]$Class
    }

[Bool] Test () {
    return $false
    }

Set () {
    $Class = $This.Input
    Write-Verbose $Class
    }

}

Configuration:
    configuration SetMyClass
    {

Import-DscResource -ModuleName dscClass -Name MyClass -ModuleVersion 1.0.0.0

MyClass…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Officially release more DSC Resources

We only have around 12 officially released DSC resources. I had expected PowerShell V5 would include more officially supported resources, but it was not to be. Please releae them, preferably via Windows Update.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

What would you describe as “official”? We are moving forward with some of the x-named DSC resources in the Gallery, with the intent of removing the x and fully supporting them once they hit a certain level of quality. Is that sufficient?

3. why can't I use a http-based "Path" in the Archive Resource ?

When I use the Archive Resource it appeares to be restricted to SMB or UNC Path's.

I would like to configure a http based sourcepath.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow use "*" as PartialConfiguration property value in LCM

Currently if we want to add another partial configuration, we have to reconfigure LCM on local machine to target new config.

If LCM could use "*" (asterisk) as PartialConfiguration property value, then LCM reconfuguration wouldn't be necessary every time when new config was added.

How it could work from my perspective:

When LCM was reconfigured to pull every configuration (via asterisk as value) then it connect to PullSrv and pull every mof configuration with his own GUID like *.guid.mof.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. KB3000850

KB3000850 is not part of the Azure SQL 2014 image, and takes over an hour to install (often timing out) before DSC Extension can run. When update fails to install, causes DSC to fail as well. Easy to reproduce - configure VM image based on SQL 2014 and install DSC using templates.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Multiple ConfigurationNames Results In Failure During Pull

When multiple configurations names are specified in LCM configuration the pull fails get obtain any configuration.

LCM Config Example

ConfigurationRepositoryWeb HillIntl-Pull

{
    ServerURL = &quot;<a rel="nofollow noreferrer" href="http://server1:8080/PSDSCPullServer.svc&quot;">http://server1:8080/PSDSCPullServer.svc&quot;</a>;
    AllowUnsecureConnection = $true;
    RegistrationKey = &quot;aaaa333-6c83-4636-a0cb-39b88a968849&quot;;
    ConfigurationNames = @(&#39;BaseConfig&#39;,&#39;WebServer&#39;);
    }

Resulting errors

Job {C7312E94-D405-11E5-80B5-00155D086627} :
    Message UpdateMetaConfig is not a valid value for GetActionResponse.
    HResult -2146233087
    StackTrack at System.Management.Automation.Internal.PipelineProcessor.SynchronousExecuteEnumerate(Object input, Hashtable errorResults, Boolean enumerate)
    at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.InvokeHelper()
    at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.InvokeThreadProc()

Job {C7312E94-D405-11E5-80B5-00155D086627} :
    This event indicates that failure happens when LCM is trying to get the configuration from pull server using download manager NULL. ErrorId is 0x1. ErrorDetail is A generic exception occurred during…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    investigating  ·  Mark Gray responded

Thanks for the feedback Daniel. We are looking into the issue and will either get back to you with any follow-up questions or create a bug and fix the issue.

Thanks for helping make DSC better!!
    MarkG

7. Change the way ConfigurationNames works to accomodate easy management and software provisioning

TL&DR - Make ConfigurationNames accept multiple values and Accept changes to the values of ConfigurationNames in a Live manner and not just for the initital regisration of the node.

Today ConfiguratioNames is used on the initial regsitration of the node. Althugh it can accept an array, it wont work with more then one value and issue errors. That value is basically the name of the mof file on the pull server. This allows for friendly names of mof files while still maintaining uniqness of the nodes for reporting purposes that wasnt available in ps v4 using the same GUID.

Everytime…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. (WMF 4) Get-DscConfiguration fails to decrypt more than one credential

Assume you have a DSC configuration which uses two or more resources, each of them having a PSCredential property. The credentials are encrypted using a certificate. The configuration is applied successfully to the target node. However, Get-DscConfiguration fails with the following error message:

Get-DscConfiguration : Decryption failed.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-DscConfiguration
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (MSFT_DSCLocalConfigurationManager:root/Microsoft/...gurationManager) [Get-DscConfiguration], CimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Windows System Error -2146893819,Get-DscConfiguration

Analyzing the problem using a trivial resource which only writes diagnostic messages, it seems the credentials are correctly decrypted for the first resource, but the LCM fails to decrypt them for the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow WildCard in PartialConfig name

When a DSC Client Node gets his config from the DSC Pull Server, allow him to filter the config name with WildCards.

For exemple the DSC Client named 'Target01' should be able to pull DSC configs named Target01.* (Target01.Apps , Target01.OS,...). So we could publish new DSC Configs without the need of re-configuring the target LCM.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    survey  ·  Mark Gray responded

I agree that this experience is not the most streamlined. I would really like to understand how you and other customers are using partial configs when in pull mode. For example why do you use partial configurations instead of composite configurations? Are you using WMF 5.0 RTM Pull functionality or WMF 4.0?

10. Absent Or Stopped for Service DSC Resource

I am in an environment where sometimes things might get pushed on some machines from other sources. I would like to have a base composite resource that ensures a Service is not running on a machine whether the service is present or not. The service is either Absent or if it is Present it is stopped. Currently, if I just configure "State = 'Stopped'" and do not specify Ensure, then Ensure defaults to present and the configuration fails on machines where the service is absent. In this case, I do not want ensure that it is present or absent just…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add tar.gz support to Package DSC resource

It would nice to be able to expand tar.gz packages using DSC

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Bug: WMF5 PullServer Configuration still accepts "IsComplianceServer" attribute

When provisioning a new PullServer using WMF5, the "IsComplianceServer = $true" can still be specified a a valid attribute in the configuration despite the service being replaced by the reporting server role.

It seems benign, however if this is done the resulting Pull Server will no longer work with ConfigurationNames and only work with ConfigurationID configured nodes. The process generates no errors, nodes will even state that registration of AgentID was successful, but clients will silently receive no files when they query for the appropriate <configurationname>.mof.

This makes for a very difficult bug to track down if someone were to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    survey  ·  Mark Gray responded

Justin,

Thank you for your feedback! We recognize that this adds confusion to the deployment of the WMF 5.0 pull server and are looking into a solution.

MarkG

13. Set ConfigurationMode per PartialConfiguration

I would be nice to be able to set the ConfigurationMode on a PartialConfiguration. For example I want that my SQL config automatically remediated is, however the Windows OS config just alerts to changes. Similar to a Syntax like below

[DSCLocalConfigurationManager()]
    configuration MyConfig
    {
    Node localhost
    {

Settings

{
    RefreshMode = &quot;Pull&quot;
    ConfigurationID = &#39;a5f86baf-f17f-4778-8944-9cc99ec9f992&#39;
    RebootNodeIfNeeded = $true
    }

ConfigurationRepositoryWeb PullSvc1
    {
    URL = &#39;<a rel="nofollow noreferrer" href="http://pullserver1:8080/OSConfig/PSDSCPullServer.svc&#39">http://pullserver1:8080/OSConfig/PSDSCPullServer.svc&#39</a>;
    AllowUnSecureConnection = $true
    }

ConfigurationRepositoryWeb PullSvc2
    {
    URL = &#39;<a rel="nofollow noreferrer" href="http://pullserver2:8080/SQLConfig/PSDSCPullServer.svc&#39">http://pullserver2:8080/SQLConfig/PSDSCPullServer.svc&#39</a>;
    AllowUnsecureConnection = $true
    }

PartialConfiguration OSConfig
    {
    Description = &#39;Configuration for the Base OS&#39;
    ConfigurationSource = &#39;[ConfigurationRepositoryWeb]PullSvc1&#39;
    ConfigurationMode =…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. If module version is not specified, composite configurations fail to load

BUG
    Version occurs in: WMF5 Production Preview
    Previous versions? No.

In a composite configuration scenario, if one of the composite resources contains an import-dscresource statement, and multiple versions of the module are available, the resource fails to load unless a moduleversion is specified.

The resource works fine if there is only one version available on the machine in question, or a minimum version is specified.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  Mark Gray responded

Justin,

This behavior is common to all DSC resources, if I understand your issue correctly. If there are multiple versions of a module installed on your authoring system, you must specify the version that you intend to use in your configuration.

What behavior are you expecting?

MarkG

15. Execute indepenent dsc steps in parallel

Votes from Connect: 3

Original Date Submitted: 6/8/2015 2:40:45 PM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: aL3891
    Site Name: PowerShell
    Feedback ID: 1411231

Problem Description:
    At the moment all dsc resources are executed serially. given that dependencies are allready specified, it would in theory be safe to execute steps in parallel.

I'm guessing this is planned at some point but i could really use a way to enable parallel execution because I'm using dsc to spin up test environments with a bunch of services and having those being set up in parallel would speed things up considerably.

Product Studio item created by…

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Bug: Trouble Setting LCM for Partial Configurations

I've been unable to set partial configurations with WMF 5 PP, so I waited to RTM to see if it was resolved. It's not. I originally posted on powershell.org but without success. Here's the original post and link:

I'm using WMF 5 Production Preview on Server 2012 R2, trying to set a node to use Partial Configurations. I've tried with a remote node and localhost, but all give an error. Sample config (I've tried a few variations, with more or less partial configs):

[DSCLocalConfigurationManager()]
    configuration foo
    {

Node localhost
    {

PartialConfiguration SomeConfig
    {
    RefreshMode = 'Push'
    }
    }
    }

foo…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. DSCPullServer needs improved client registration

The DSCPullServer is basically a knock off of Puppet-OpenSource project .. so let's finish some of the critically missing tools

I'm talking mainly about client registration (or lack thereof).

How it's done in puppetOS:
    1. Make sure "puppet" CNAME is in DNS
    2. Install puppet_agent (no questions asked, just install)
    3. On the puppet server, use "puppet cert list" to see pending machines, and "puppet cert sign" to add it.

That's it I'm ready to write manifests and go for it. It issues the cert, tracks the box, basically handles everything.

Compare that to DSC:
    1. Create a CName to…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow multiple values for ConfigurationModeFrequencyMins of LCM (Local Configuration Manager)

With a single value, now all settings in the DSC configuration are re-applied at the same interval.

I would like to have some settings (may be non-critical) once , to be re-applied less frequently.

This flexibility shall make LCM less stressed as well.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Issue with DSCFileDownloadManager Credentials

So, it seems as though in WMF 5.0 there is a regression in functionality. In WMF 4.0, you could set up a DSCFileDownloadManager and Credential to have a Target Node contact a Pull Server SMB Share and download new mof files and resources. Everything worked perfectly including Certificate based encryption of the credentials. However, in WMF 5, it seems as though the LCM of the Target Node attempts to contact the SMB Share Anonymously, even in credentials are provided. Now, in a Non domain joined environment, you can just provide EVERYONE full control and then change Local Security Policy such…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  Zachary Alexander responded

This bug has been identified and the issue has been resolved. The fix will be available in future releases, including the Windows Insider Fast Ring preview

20. Make modules and cmdlets available for current script

The ability to package a script with the cmdlets and modules used to make that script.

E.g.

The ability to put a cmdlet at the start of the script such as:
    Monitor-ScriptModule -All

Then as a module is imported or a cmdlet is used, the script will include the modules and cmdlets in some file that allows an admin to deploy the script to other workstations and the script is able to include the modules and cmdlets on older versions that may not have the cmdlets or modules included.

This would help avoid older versions from not working because the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base