PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ConfigurationAST should include resource modules being imported

The ConfigurationAST added in v4 for PowerShell DSC does a good job at providing resource configuration details. However, to determine what modules are being imported, we should still use the keyword AST to find the resource module names from the Import-DSCResource command. While this is a workaround, it will be easier if ConfigurationAST can provide this information for simplicity.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Generate DSC from existing servers

For those of us with heavily-configured snowflake servers, it would great if it were possible to generate DSC files from existing builds. This may not be possible in all areas, but perhaps a subset of areas could be supported, with IIS 7.0+ at the top of the list.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  3 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bring the Azure Automation DSC MOF encryption into the on-premises DSC pull server

In Azure Automation DSC the whole MOF file gets encrypted without the need to manually issue certificates for every node and then to collect the public keys.

From Azure documentation:
    "Keeping credentials secure in node configurations (MOF configuration documents) requires encrypting the credentials in the node configuration MOF file. Azure Automation takes this one step further and encrypts the entire MOF file."

This extremely useful feature sould also be implemented in the on-premises DSC pull server. Especially because the needed functionality must alread be in the WMF 5 as nothing more than WMF 5 is needed to use the Azure…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. DSCPullServer needs improved client registration

The DSCPullServer is basically a knock off of Puppet-OpenSource project .. so let's finish some of the critically missing tools

I'm talking mainly about client registration (or lack thereof).

How it's done in puppetOS:
    1. Make sure "puppet" CNAME is in DNS
    2. Install puppet_agent (no questions asked, just install)
    3. On the puppet server, use "puppet cert list" to see pending machines, and "puppet cert sign" to add it.

That's it I'm ready to write manifests and go for it. It issues the cert, tracks the box, basically handles everything.

Compare that to DSC:
    1. Create a CName to…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Node with large configurations fails to send status report to the Report Server

Testing out WMF 5.0 and when I tried one of our existing configurations, which has a good amount of resources in it, the following error is logged in the event log after each consistency check:

Job {%JobID%} :
    Http Client {%AgentID%} failed for WebReportManager for configuration The attempt to send status report to the server https://johntestx02/PSDSCPullServer.svc/Nodes(AgentId={%AgentID%}')/SendReport returned unexpected response code RequestEntityTooLarge..

I assume this is because of the amount of resources the node is trying to report on back to the report server. Has anyone else run into this? Can the Report Server configuration be adjusted to accept lager amounts…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  3 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. allow DSC nodes to download meta configuration

when wmf4 initially launched, you could place meta.mof files into the pull server along side the default mof and both would be downloaded by the node and applied. This was rather ideal, as it meant I could create standard LCM configurations, and easily update/enforce them.

For some reason, this seems to no longer work in WMF5.0. This should be returned. Anyone who's had to edit the settings of hundreds (thousands?) of agents should understand it's way easier to tweak one property.

Real world example: ask anyone who's ever had to reconfigure the the SCCM agent cache. It's a needlessly complex…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    survey  ·  Mark Gray responded

Justin,

Thanks for you feedback! I What types of things do you find yourself needing to manage in the meta-config after initial deployment? This is not to take away from the need for this, I want to better understand how you and other customers are / want to use it.

Regards,

MarkG

7. Enable PowerShell module auto-discovery in DSC

I recently discovered that in my DSC resource I can't call a powershell cmdlet that internally calls into another powershell cmdlet - that fails because DSC doesn’t explicitly import the full powershell module, but only imports specific .psm1 files.

Note, same (cmdlet calling another cmdlet) works perfectly fine when executed from Powershell cmd prompt. Let's fix it for DSC.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    investigating  ·  Mark Gray responded

Thank you for your feedback!

Based on its current ranking compared to other feedback items and product schedule, work on this item is pending (and will be driven by) further customer input. If you did not open this issue and are also impacted by it, please vote this item up.

MarkG

8. Bug: Trouble Setting LCM for Partial Configurations

I've been unable to set partial configurations with WMF 5 PP, so I waited to RTM to see if it was resolved. It's not. I originally posted on powershell.org but without success. Here's the original post and link:

I'm using WMF 5 Production Preview on Server 2012 R2, trying to set a node to use Partial Configurations. I've tried with a remote node and localhost, but all give an error. Sample config (I've tried a few variations, with more or less partial configs):

[DSCLocalConfigurationManager()]
    configuration foo
    {

Node localhost
    {

PartialConfiguration SomeConfig
    {
    RefreshMode = 'Push'
    }
    }
    }

foo…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add MaintenanceWindow paramters to PartialConfiguration DSC

Votes from Connect: 4

Original Date Submitted: 12/13/2014 2:03:27 AM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: RobCannon
    Site Name: PowerShell
    Feedback ID: 1053308

Frequency: Always Happens
    Regression: Yes, this happens in all previous versions

Problem Description:
    I would like to a parameter in a PartialConfiguration section to specify a time period.

Some configurations would always be running and could fix configuration drift. But other configurations (that would cause a service disruption if applied) could be target to only run during a specified maintenance window. The window parameter should allow you to specify a time window and either a day of the week…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Class based DSC Description Attribute

Add a description Attribute or extend the DscProperty and DscResource attributes to allow for descriptions that should be surfaced in the generated MOF file.

Looking at how the MOF file is currently generated using Reflection this should be easy to implement.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. MinimumCompatibleVersion still causes "Cannot find module PSDesiredStateConfiguration_1.0 from the server"

Although a very similar issue has been resolved in WMF5.1 we are encountering an issue when working with partial configurations.

It seems that the MinimumCompatibleVersion for the complete configurations is taken from the "first" (alphabetical order) partial configuration. If this happens to be a 2.0.0 configuration then other partials which were 1.0.0 cannot load the PSDesiredStateConfiguration module.

Please take a look at the reproduction in the attachment.
    We reproduced this on windows server 2012r2, 2016 and 2019 and it is causing a very blocking issue for us.

Edit; since the attachments dont seem to work:

if (-not $inputCredential)
    {

$inputCredential
    10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Bug: DSC ServiceResource cannot start service that takes over 2 seconds to start

Services can take an arbitrary amount of time to start. The ServiceResource DSC is hard coded to only allow 2 seconds. This makes this task useless for most of my work.

function StartService
    <SNIP>

if($PSCmdlet.ShouldProcess($svc.Name,$LocalizedData.StartServiceWhatIf))

{

try
    {
    $svc.Start()
    $twoSeconds = New-Object timespan 20000000
    $svc.WaitForStatus(&quot;Running&quot;,$twoSeconds)
    }
    catch
    {
    $servicePath = (Get-WmiObject -Class win32_service | where {$_.Name -eq $svc.Name}).PathName
    $message = $LocalizedData.ErrorStartingService -f $svc.Name,$servicePath,$_.Exception.Message
    ThrowInvalidArgumentError &quot;ErrorStartingService&quot; $message
    }

Write-Log ($LocalizedData.ServiceStarted -f $svc.Name)
    }

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Inline help for DSC resource properties

Votes from Connect: 38

Original Date Submitted: 3/20/2015 9:34:20 PM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: Trevor Sullivan [MVP]
    Feedback ID: 1192392

Problem Description:
    To continue the trend of having built-in help with PowerShell structures, it would be great to add support for help documentation for DSC resource properties, in class-based DSC resources.

My initial suggestion was to put comment-based help just prior to a [DscProperty()] declaration in a class, but Ravi suggested having a HelpMessage property added to the [DscProperty()] attribute, which I think is a better idea.

Product Studio item created by Connect Synchronizer due to creation…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Reset LCM configuration

Reset LCM configuration.

Hi and sorry for my funny English.
    When I configure my LCM, it's impossible to reset state.
    If I want a default configuration, I send a new configuration this default value for all Settings (here, no value, just settings).

[DscLocalConfigurationManager()]
    Configuration ResetLCM {

Node MyNode {

Settings {
    ActionAfterReboot =
    AllowModuleOverwrite =
    CertificateID =
    ConfigurationDownloadManagers =
    ConfigurationID =
    ConfigurationMode =
    ConfigurationModeFrequencyMins =
    DebugMode =
    MaximumDownloadSizeMB =
    RebootNodeIfNeeded =
    RefreshFrequencyMins =
    RefreshMode =
    ReportManagers =
    ResourceModuleManagers =
    SignatureValidations =
    StatusRetentionTimeInDays =
    }}

I think it's easier to use command.

For example, there is a reset configuration for DSCConfigurationDocument. …

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. DSC File resource Encoding Property

The file resource really needs an encoding property.

Need to have some control over this as it makes the resource unusable in a lot of situations, which is a shame.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Use URI for DSC File Resource Source

Ability to use a URI or URL as the source using the DSC File Resource to download from HTTP or HTTPS.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. GetResourceState in DSC Proxy class should use TestConfiguration

In WMF 5 RTM, for the cross-machine synchronization, the WaitForX resources (GetResourceState) use the configuration state cache to return the resource state to the remote node using WaitForX. This is incorrect. This may return the resource state in no time but it is not always accurate and will have impact on the configuration waiting on the resource state.

For example, consider that there is a web server waiting on the SQL AlwaysOn cluster resource on a remote system. Now, consider that the remote SQL cluster resource went into a non-functional state for some reason and there was no DSC consistency…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Set ConfigurationMode per PartialConfiguration

I would be nice to be able to set the ConfigurationMode on a PartialConfiguration. For example I want that my SQL config automatically remediated is, however the Windows OS config just alerts to changes. Similar to a Syntax like below

[DSCLocalConfigurationManager()]
    configuration MyConfig
    {
    Node localhost
    {

Settings

{
    RefreshMode = &quot;Pull&quot;
    ConfigurationID = &#39;a5f86baf-f17f-4778-8944-9cc99ec9f992&#39;
    RebootNodeIfNeeded = $true
    }

ConfigurationRepositoryWeb PullSvc1
    {
    URL = &#39;<a rel="nofollow noreferrer" href="http://pullserver1:8080/OSConfig/PSDSCPullServer.svc&#39">http://pullserver1:8080/OSConfig/PSDSCPullServer.svc&#39</a>;
    AllowUnSecureConnection = $true
    }

ConfigurationRepositoryWeb PullSvc2
    {
    URL = &#39;<a rel="nofollow noreferrer" href="http://pullserver2:8080/SQLConfig/PSDSCPullServer.svc&#39">http://pullserver2:8080/SQLConfig/PSDSCPullServer.svc&#39</a>;
    AllowUnsecureConnection = $true
    }

PartialConfiguration OSConfig
    {
    Description = &#39;Configuration for the Base OS&#39;
    ConfigurationSource = &#39;[ConfigurationRepositoryWeb]PullSvc1&#39;
    ConfigurationMode =…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. DSC Environment Resource Expands PATH Environment Variable

Votes from Connect: 3

Original Date Submitted: 11/25/2015 1:33:11 AM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: aolszowka
    Feedback ID: 2054029

Frequency: Desired State Configuration (DSC)
    Regression: Prior to running the below DSC ensure that the environment variable is not already expanded/mangled, you can do this either by pulling up the System Environment Variables Dialog from System, or by querying the registry:

REG.EXE QUERY "HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment" /V "PATH"

We should expect to see something similar to the following:

HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment

PATH    REG_EXPAND_SZ    %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SystemRoot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\

Create a new DSC Script with the following:

Environment EnvVarPATHNotepad2

{

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. MOF Files Include Authoring Metadata

Votes from Connect: 4

Original Date Submitted: 8/20/2014 2:21:09 AM

Description:
    Contact Information
    Handle: Aaron Jensen
    Feedback ID: 950298

Frequency: Always Happens
    Regression: No, this is new to the most recent version

Problem Description:
    When converting configuration blocks to .mof files, they .mof files contain authoring metadata that causes the .mof file's contents and checksum to change, even when none of the configuration in the .mof file has changed. This makes it hard to know when a .mof file's configuration has really changed or not. All .mof files essentially look like they are always changing. This makes…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base