PowerShell

The PowerShell forum accepts bug reports as well as feedback and suggestions. For more information, check out the PowerShell Homepage

The following is a list of the states we use to track items.

status meaning
survey We saw this and we are considering it. Please upvote if it’s important to you.
needs more information We don’t understand the issue and need additional details.
investigating We are looking at this internally to understand things like: scenario, reproduction of issue, costing, or other technical details.
in queue The issue is understood and in our unprioritized backlog. Your votes will be used to drive prioritization of this work.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bug? Invoke-DscResource and PsDscRunAsCredential in WMF5

Hi Powershell Team,

When I try to invoke the get method for a custom DSC resource using PsDscRunAsCredential, I get an error. This does not happen with either the set or test methods.

The same custom resource works fine in a normal configuration though. I'm not sure if that's because the get method is not called there.

Setup:
    Windows Server 2012 R2
    WMF5 RTM

PS C:\Users\username> Invoke-DscResource -Name cWhoAmI -Method get -ModuleName cWhoAmI -Property $props -Verbose
    Invoke-DscResource : The PowerShell DSC resource returned results in a format that is not valid. The results from
    running Get-TargetResource should be in a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    investigating  ·  Mark Gray responded

Thanks for the feedback Antonio! We will look into this and create a bug when we reproduce the issue. If we need more information we will request it from you here.

Regards,

MarkG

2. Invoke-DscResource String to Boolean conversion Failure

Invoking command:

Invoke-DscResource -Name cDtc -Method Test -Property @{'Name'='Local';'Ensure'='Present';'AuthenticationLevel'='NoAuth';'Status'='Started';'InboundTransactionsEnabled'='True';'OutboundTransactionsEnabled'='True';'RemoteClientAccessEnabled'='True';'RemoteAdministrationAccessEnabled'='False';'XATransactionsEnabled'='True';'LUTransactionsEnabled'='False'} -ModuleName cDtcResource

Cause PowerShell to fail.

Convert property 'OutboundTransactionsEnabled' value from type 'STRING' to type 'BOOLEAN' failed
    At line:17, char:2
    Buffer:
    essEnabled = "False";
    };^

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Multiple configuration slots

I would welcome the possibility for multiple configuration slots on a single node. This would enable scenarios like:
    Desired state for the Node itself in slot 1
    Proxy state in slot 2
    One-time configurations in slot 3

This would make it possible to separate the state and governance of the node configuration from, for example, a one-time user account create in AD.
    Slot 1 would contain Domain Controller configuration in ApplyAndAutoCorrect mode and slot 2 would execute the creation of a new user and once converged, removes it.

Same goes for my laptop. 1 slot for node configuration and 1…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. DSC File Resource Recurse directory description is wrong

The documentation for the DSC File Resource states that the Recurse is a) only valid for directories and b) only for sub-directories. This would imply that any files in a SourcePath would be copied. However, they are not. $Recurse has to be $true to pull files. If not, it just makes sure the directory exists.

However, this requires that I have the whole recursive directory kept on my sourcepath as well vs. just a few files.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Test-PartialConfiguration / LCM Test Server

When using Partial Configurations, add a Test-PartialConfiguration command that accepts the mof files and checks for problems before sending it to the LCM.

I can run pester tests on each of the configuration scripts as part of my pipeline to make sure each of them are ok as single files, but to actually see what happens on the LCM and how it combines the mofs would requires like a LCM TestServer without actually enacting on the real node.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Control in Composite Resources

Add option to use DependsOn inside a Composite Resource, between the inner members of the resource. Like in ServiceSet, running it with multiple services i cant use the DependsOn commands. Would be nice if i could do this:

ServiceSet ServiceSetComposite{
    Name='audiosrv','winmgmt'
    Ensure='Present'
    Order = 'winmgmt',*
    }
    As in the order i want the services to be done is winmgmt first, then what ever comes after and then * to symbol the rest of the services

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Remove Dependency on TLS 1.0 for HTTPS Pull Server

After disabling TLS 1.0 on our Pull Server and nodes, the nodes are unable to re-register with the Pull Server. This is keeping us from making changes to the LCM on nodes.

I have posted on PowerShell.org forum about this:
    http://powershell.org/wp/forums/topic/tls-1-0-required-for-https-pull-server/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Get-DSCResource -Syntax for WindowsFeatureSet incorrect

Get-DscResource for WindowsFeatureSet showing "ensure" parameter as being optional, while it's actually required

<PRE>

PS C:\windows\system32> get-dscresource windowsfeatureset -Syntax
    WindowsFeatureSet [String] #ResourceName
    {

[DependsOn = [String[]]]

Name = [String[]]
    [Ensure = [String]]
    [Source = [String]]
    [IncludeAllSubFeature = [Boolean]]
    [Credential = [PSCredential]]
    [LogPath = [String]]

}
    </PRE>

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  Mark Gray responded

Thanks for the feedback, Gregory! This certainly is a bug albeit a little different that what you have described. The Ensure property should be optional but it should default to ‘Present’ if it is not provided just like the underlying resource does. I have opened a bug for this.

MarkG

9. Having ";" in PSModulePath breaks Get-DSCResource cmdlet

If your PSModulePath ends with ";" then Get-DSCResource fails on line 3810 which is using Test-path to check empty path with no -ErrorActionVariable set will always fail

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. ValidatePattern doesn't work as expected in class based DSC resources

When using ValidatePattern in a class based resource, this should be evaluated once the configuration is generated. However, it's only evaluated the moment the LCM tries to apply the configuration, which then throws a not very helpful 'Failed to create an object of PowerShell class InsertNameOfClassHere' if the ValidatePattern check returns false.

Demo code:
    [DscResource()]
    Class MyClass {

[DscProperty(Key)]

[ValidatePattern(&#39;Client|Server&#39;)]
    [string]$Input

[myclass] Get () {
    $Class = $This.Input
    return [myclass]$Class
    }

[Bool] Test () {
    return $false
    }

Set () {
    $Class = $This.Input
    Write-Verbose $Class
    }

}

Configuration:
    configuration SetMyClass
    {

Import-DscResource -ModuleName dscClass -Name MyClass -ModuleVersion 1.0.0.0

MyClass…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. why can't I use a http-based "Path" in the Archive Resource ?

When I use the Archive Resource it appeares to be restricted to SMB or UNC Path's.

I would like to configure a http based sourcepath.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Change the way ConfigurationNames works to accomodate easy management and software provisioning

TL&DR - Make ConfigurationNames accept multiple values and Accept changes to the values of ConfigurationNames in a Live manner and not just for the initital regisration of the node.

Today ConfiguratioNames is used on the initial regsitration of the node. Althugh it can accept an array, it wont work with more then one value and issue errors. That value is basically the name of the mof file on the pull server. This allows for friendly names of mof files while still maintaining uniqness of the nodes for reporting purposes that wasnt available in ps v4 using the same GUID.

Everytime…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Absent Or Stopped for Service DSC Resource

I am in an environment where sometimes things might get pushed on some machines from other sources. I would like to have a base composite resource that ensures a Service is not running on a machine whether the service is present or not. The service is either Absent or if it is Present it is stopped. Currently, if I just configure "State = 'Stopped'" and do not specify Ensure, then Ensure defaults to present and the configuration fails on machines where the service is absent. In this case, I do not want ensure that it is present or absent just…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. KB3000850

KB3000850 is not part of the Azure SQL 2014 image, and takes over an hour to install (often timing out) before DSC Extension can run. When update fails to install, causes DSC to fail as well. Easy to reproduce - configure VM image based on SQL 2014 and install DSC using templates.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add tar.gz support to Package DSC resource

It would nice to be able to expand tar.gz packages using DSC

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Test-DscConfiguration fails once running against remote machine

Having the following script:

configuration SimpleConfig2
    {

Import-DscResource –ModuleName &#39;PSDesiredStateConfiguration&#39;

node $remoteCommputer
    {
    Environment TestVersion
    {
    Ensure = &quot;Present&quot; # You can also set Ensure to &quot;Absent&quot;
    Name = &quot;TestEnvironmentVariable&quot;
    Value = &quot;TestValue2&quot;
    }
    }

}

SimpleConfig2

Start-DSCConfiguration -Path "SimpleConfig2" -Force -Wait -ComputerName $remoteCommputer -Credential $g_AutomationDefaultVMAccounCred -verbose

$result = Test-DscConfiguration -Path "SimpleConfig2" -ComputerName $remoteCommputer -Credential $g_AutomationDefaultVMAccounCred

The config is applied correctly, yet Test-DscConfiguration fails with the following message:

The configurationData parameter is reserved for future use. The current configuration is used by default.

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (root/Microsoft/...gurationManager:String) [], CimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 4
    + PSComputerName : target-machine
    1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Anton,

I am not able to reproduce your issue. What PS / WMF version are you running into this on? Also what OSes are running on the local and remote machines?

MarkG

17. Issue with DSCFileDownloadManager Credentials

So, it seems as though in WMF 5.0 there is a regression in functionality. In WMF 4.0, you could set up a DSCFileDownloadManager and Credential to have a Target Node contact a Pull Server SMB Share and download new mof files and resources. Everything worked perfectly including Certificate based encryption of the credentials. However, in WMF 5, it seems as though the LCM of the Target Node attempts to contact the SMB Share Anonymously, even in credentials are provided. Now, in a Non domain joined environment, you can just provide EVERYONE full control and then change Local Security Policy such…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  Zachary Alexander responded

This bug has been identified and the issue has been resolved. The fix will be available in future releases, including the Windows Insider Fast Ring preview

18. If module version is not specified, composite configurations fail to load

BUG
    Version occurs in: WMF5 Production Preview
    Previous versions? No.

In a composite configuration scenario, if one of the composite resources contains an import-dscresource statement, and multiple versions of the module are available, the resource fails to load unless a moduleversion is specified.

The resource works fine if there is only one version available on the machine in question, or a minimum version is specified.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desired State Configuration (DSC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Justin,

This behavior is common to all DSC resources, if I understand your issue correctly. If there are multiple versions of a module installed on your authoring system, you must specify the version that you intend to use in your configuration.

What behavior are you expecting?

MarkG

19. Make modules and cmdlets available for current script

The ability to package a script with the cmdlets and modules used to make that script.

E.g.

The ability to put a cmdlet at the start of the script such as:
    Monitor-ScriptModule -All

Then as a module is imported or a cmdlet is used, the script will include the modules and cmdlets in some file that allows an admin to deploy the script to other workstations and the script is able to include the modules and cmdlets on older versions that may not have the cmdlets or modules included.

This would help avoid older versions from not working because the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bug: [nullable[enum]] DSC Property throws System.NotSupportedException in WMF5 RTM

In WMF5 Production Preview the [nullable] flag was required to allow a DSC Property to be null valued. Without this flag a default value was being added to the mof file.

In WMF5 RTM (Windows 10 installation) the [nullable] flag causes a System.NotSupportedException error to be thrown when running a configuration block.

In WMF5 RTM, if the [nullable] flag is not used, null values are allowed. I believe this is the same functionality as WMF4.

The [nullable] flag is shown in the MSDN documentation for DSC. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/dsc/authoringresourceclass

This should be fixed/clarified to the community.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base